The Student Room Group

Suggest me a good book to read

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alicja_p
Any suggestions for fantasy or sci fi books? I wouldn't mind a decent Apocalypse/dystopia/eutopia book either, or decent suggestions of crime solving books. I'm reading game of thrones at the moment but I'm going on holiday for three weeks of the summer and I'm going to need a lot of books to keep me company!

Posted from TSR Mobile

In terms of dystopias, 1984 and Brave New World are the big two if you haven't read them already, and they're both pretty damn good.
Sci-fi wise the Hitchhiker's Guide series is indispensable. It's hilarious but it definitely has a deeper side. I've also heard good things about Ender's Game but I've never read it myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2741
I recommend The Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan; she's written other books as well, but I love this trilogy.
The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. Such a talented writer.

“Punch a man on the nose, kick an old man downstairs, shoot somebody or any old thing like that, that’s my job. But argue with women in love - no thank you!”
The Reason for God by Tim Keller.

Excellent book which everyone should read.

If you've read The God Delusion then this is a great place to go to hear a highly intelligent counter-argument.
The Bridget Jones series :h:

It's hilarious and you'll definitely find yourself chuckling at her finer (or not so finer) moments! :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I finished "the valley of amazement" by Amy Tan yesterday. It was amazing.
Reply 2746
"The hundred year old man who climbed out of the window and disappeared." 9/10 one of the best books I have ever read.
I highly recommend Les Miserables. This book is very long (nearly 2000 pages) but it's totally worth it.
Surely you're joking, Mr Feynman!

Legendary.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoevsky

The "underground" of the mind is the treacherous terrain into
which Dostoevsky here delves deep, exposing its most buried
fears and desires.

I really love this book!!! :smile:
and so I find out why my thread failed :tongue:
New Blog Post on Recommeneded Reads just gone up!
We'd appreciate it if you'd check it out :smile:

SBW-D.blogspot.com
Original post by Phalanges
From even a cursory glance around the forum, it seems that we are awash with threads asking what everyones favourite book is or recommendations of what they should read. The problem with having lots of these threads is that they inevitably lead to a lot of repetition, and many people won't want to be constantly be posting in them to give advice. As such, I'm creating this thread to act as a repository for all the little threads around. You can browse it to see all the books recommended before, or make a post asking for recommendations and someone will be happy to provide some examples.

If you see any threads on this topic, please report them and I'll merge them with this.

Some recommendations from Ape Gone Insane:

Noughts and crosses by Malorie Blackman
I've never felt emotion like it.
Untethered Soul :smile:
The Book Thief... Me and ALL of my friends are obsessed with it

I know it sounds cheesy... But the morganville vampires is a really good book series ( although its a series of 15 books... You forget what happens in which book by the end)

And some quite well known ones you've probably read.. The perks of being a wallflower, harry potter, the kite runner...
Original post by Deshi
I'm looking for a book like the film Titanic in a sense that I want to read a fictional disaster book, whether it's based on something real is irrelevant. They could be on a ship, plane etc Or even something like the film 2012

I've typed in books like the film Titanic and other various things to get to some sort of place to start from but I've come up with crap.

Have you read the book thief? It's based in nazi germany from the perspective of a child... Completely different to what i normally read but an amazing book!
If you're interested in post Shakespearean literature, then I highly recommend the play 'Tis Pity She's a Whore by John Ford. I'm currently studying it for A Level English Literature and I'm really enjoying it. I find the language a little more accessible than Shakespeare, and it's relatively short too. Plus the production at the Sam Wanamaker Playhouse is fantastic if anyone else has seen it.
Original post by quack quack
There must be some cases where the movie's better than the book version! Certainly not Stephen King ones... all those movie adaptations are terrible (even The Shining, I feel).

Stand By Me and Misery are great in my opinion...
Reply 2758
The Fault in Our Stars.
I know, not very original but I love it not because of the cigarette metaphor quote (which I actually find rather silly), but because I can relate to Augustus on so many levels - the thing I am afraid of the most is oblivion. And the tragedy is... well, I won't spoil anyone such a good read. Also, I love John Green's sarcastic sense of humour (Hi, Just Hazel!) and the fact that the text I had read just before starting TFIOS was The Diary of Anne Frank and even the cheesy Okay? Okay., and lovely Isaac who thinks that everyone deserves to have their true love, and because John Green is such a nerd, and because I want someone to fall in love with me in the way you fall asleep as well, and because life is not perfect but it totally sucks and it full of disappointments, because I love the end of Peter's book (especially the last sentence) and just everything and I appreciate that people have different tastes and may hate all those things but what drives me up the wall is when people who have never read it criticise it. "No one is entitled to be ignorant." On that basis I tend to read / watch stuff before making my judgements, thank you very much.

“But it is the nature of stars to cross, and never was Shakespeare more wrong than when he has Cassius note, ‘The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars / But in ourselves.”
Science fiction (Dystopian) - Fahrenheit 451 (Ray Bradbury)

An incredibly tangible and unique read set in a world where books are outlawed and the population is placated with banal entertainment that doesn't stir up controversy or intelligent discussion. Guy Montag, the protagonist, is a 'fireman', a man who goes and sets fires to books reported by members of the public. However, he is met by a young girl - Clarice McClellan - on his way home from work one night, prompting thought-provoking discussions to make him question his occupation and own morality.

I shan't spoil any more because it's an incredibly good book, especially if you're looking for something quicker to read. A fantastic commentary on the legitimacy of censorship and how free man actually is, Fahrenheit 451 is not a book to skip out on.

“Let you alone! That’s all very well, but how can I leave myself alone? We need not to be let alone. We need to be really bothered once in a while. How long is it since you were really bothered? About something important, about something real?”

Yours,
Grey

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending