The Student Room Group

Suggest me a good book to read

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DanielMartin
Anybody recommend a good romance or a good real life fiction (Or what I'm actually after is, a pro-femine book?? Or two...

:smile:

Going to contrast my purchase of Bill Hicks entire works in literary form but whatever :smile:

How about 'Fingersmith' - Sarah Waters? :biggrin:
Still in the shadow of death- Chikodi Echeta
Reply 1942
Terminal World (Alastair Reynolds) - science fiction (its sort of steampunk/dystopian and absolutely incredible!)

Temeraire (Naomi Novik) - fantasy (dragons and the Napoleonic wars, awesome stuff)

Gone (Michael Grant) - young adult (kind of like lord of the flies but modern and with superpowers)

I'm sure I'll think of some more later...
Animal farm

"4 legs good, two legs bad"
Excellent :yy:
Reply 1945
Original post by Phalanges

Original post by Phalanges
From even a cursory glance around the forum, it seems that we are awash with threads asking what everyones favourite book is or recommendations of what they should read. The problem with having lots of these threads is that they inevitably lead to a lot of repetition, and many people won't want to be constantly be posting in them to give advice. As such, I'm creating this thread to act as a repository for all the little threads around. You can browse it to see all the books recommended before, or make a post asking for recommendations and someone will be happy to provide some examples.

If you see any threads on this topic, please report them and I'll merge them with this.

Some recommendations from Ape Gone Insane:

Dancers at the end of time trilogy. Michael Moorcroft
I've spent around an hour crawling through the Kindle store on Amazon but just can't decide what to read.. So someone recommend me a book and I will download it right now!!

Lately I've read (and enjoyed):

The Long Walk (Stephen King)
The Hunger Games Trilogy
Running Man (Stephen King)
I am Legend
Children of Men

There's a bit of a dystopian theme going on, but I'm open to most genres...
Recently I have read The Lessons by Naomi Alderman which I thought was a good book, it's about a guy who goes to Oxford uni and is pretty miserable until he gets introduced to a cool social circle dominated by a rich gay guy called Mark, and various things happen around Mark's charming but destructive personality. I thought it was well written and I carried on thinking about the characters after I'd finished the book, thinking "IF ONLY he had done this instead of going off with Mark" etc. I enjoyed it.

Now I'm reading Lasting Damage by Sophie Hannah but only part way through that.

From a different genre, an underrated short book that I like is A Very British Coup by Christopher Mullin, this is set in the 1980s where a very left wing Labour Prime Minister, Harry Perkins, has been elected, to the horror of various elements of the 'establishment' (and the Americans), and so the 'establishment' sets to work trying to bring him down, but in a 'very British' way.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Recently I have read The Lessons by Naomi Alderman which I thought was a good book, it's about a guy who goes to Oxford uni and is pretty miserable until he gets introduced to a cool social circle dominated by a rich gay guy called Mark, and various things happen around Mark's charming but destructive personality. I thought it was well written and I carried on thinking about the characters after I'd finished the book, thinking "IF ONLY he had done this instead of going off with Mark" etc. I enjoyed it.

Now I'm reading Lasting Damage by Sophie Hannah but only part way through that.

From a different genre, an underrated short book that I like is A Very British Coup by Christopher Mullin, this is set in the 1980s where a very left wing Labour Prime Minister, Harry Perkins, has been elected, to the horror of various elements of the 'establishment' (and the Americans), and so the 'establishment' sets to work trying to bring him down, but in a 'very British' way.

Thank you. The Lessons sounds interesting, I like a book that makes you think.
Will definitely have a look at all of them. The best books I've read have been recommended to me.
Reply 1949

I didn't like that one at all, actually.:frown: The writing was pretty good, but the whole thing just felt too much like a rehash of A Secret History with a few Oxbridge clichés thrown in...
Original post by hobnob
I didn't like that one at all, actually.:frown: The writing was pretty good, but the whole thing just felt too much like a rehash of A Secret History with a few Oxbridge clichés thrown in...

When I read the reviews of it, I noticed a theme, that people who had already read The Secret History or Brideshead Revisited, said it was basically the same type of story, and didn't like it. But other people seemed to think it was good (like me). I guess I haven't read those others so that might have helped, although now I'm going to read The Secret History :tongue:

I think the university theme is one that does appeal to students although I do agree it is a bit cliche setting it in Oxford. I'd like to read a novel based around 'university friends' set in a non Oxbridge university in the UK, so you didn't have cliches like Oxford toffs or US jocks/cheerleaders etc.
Reply 1951
Linear Functional Analysis by B. P. Rynne and M. A. Youngston, great read!!
Reply 1952
'Different Seasons' by Stephen King. It's four novellas, all about the same as 'The Long Walk' and includes the ones which they based 'The Shawshank Redemption' and 'Stand By Me' (both great films) on. 'Apt Pupil' is probably my favorite in the book and for once doesn't take place in Maine.
(edited 12 years ago)
Judge Judy's autobiography. <3
Reply 1954
When I read the reviews of it, I noticed a theme, that people who had already read The Secret History or Brideshead Revisited, said it was basically the same type of story, and didn't like it. But other people seemed to think it was good (like me). I guess I haven't read those others so that might have helped, although now I'm going to read The Secret History :tongue:

Knock yourself out.:p: The basic pattern is the same: young man goes to posh university, ends up joining a group of eccentric, fabulously wealthy friends, and then It All Goes Horribly Wrong. Except that the writing isn't as good as in Alderman's novel and the conclusion is completely ludicrous (sorry).
I think the university theme is one that does appeal to students although I do agree it is a bit cliche setting it in Oxford. I'd like to read a novel based around 'university friends' set in a non Oxbridge university in the UK, so you didn't have cliches like Oxford toffs or US jocks/cheerleaders etc.

Exactly. Oxford is in no way essential for the story, it's basically just there to cater to the prejudice that characters like Mark could only be found in an Oxbridge setting / Oxbridge colleges abound with people like that.
Full Dark No Stars by Stephen King is good, I've also read The Confession and Theodore Boone by John Grisham, which are also good if you enjoy legal thrillers.
Hush Hush - Becca Fitzpatrick
Kissed By An Angel - Elizabeth Chandler
Wolf Cry - Julia Golding
Marked - Kristin Cast

If you want anymore, let me know, I have plenty like this :smile:
Hush Hush - Becca Fitzpatrick
Kissed By An Angel - Elizabeth Chandler
Wolf Cry - Julia Golding
Marked - Kristin Cast

If you want anymore, let me know, I have plenty like this :smile:
The Road - Cormac McCarthy?
Original post by hobnob

Exactly. Oxford is in no way essential for the story, it's basically just there to cater to the prejudice that characters like Mark could only be found in an Oxbridge setting / Oxbridge colleges abound with people like that.

Are you at Oxford then? Is it a complete myth or do you find people like that around?

I didn't study at Oxford, my experience of Oxford is two "long weekends" spent in Hertford college visiting a girl I met from travelling, and my experience there possibly was why I found The Lessons believable, because the girl I knew was in a social circle that was dominated by a Mark-style character (not gay, just obnoxious and bullying).

The group seemed always to be on edge, even mundane conversations had an undertone of competitiveness, and the Mark-style character could tip the balance by losing his temper and getting in a mood with one or more of the group, then when he stormed off the whole conversation would revolve around how to calm him down and get him back and whose fault it was. I found this absolutely bizarre, mainly how bothered they all seemed to be about having his approval after he was behaving so strangely and aggressively. When I talked about it to the girl I knew from travelling and her friend, they pretty much said "thats Oxford and you have to get used to the Oxford way of life". I studied at Leeds and whilst you got some obnoxious characters from the super rich there, in a big university like that they were marginalised to small groups from similar backgrounds, the girls I was with reckoned it was only at Oxford that someone like him could exert the social power over his peers that he did, partly because of a general idea that eccentricity was admirable, and also because the college system made it difficult to hide. The well known, well socially acquainted 'personalities' of a college controlled a lot of the social scene and so people wanted their approval as it was the key to getting a lot of social invites.

That was just one experience of Oxford and it could have just been that social group and that college....but I think thats where I could find The Lessons more believable, the prejudices it was playing on were prejudices I had from my brief experience. I can understand why people that had been to Oxford and had different experiences, felt that it was a tired old cliche.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending