Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hyperinflation GCSE

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ok, is this enough to write for a 8 mark question?

Question: what was the cause and effects of hyperinflation?

How:
    French occupied the Ruhr;
    German workers were told to stop working by government but they were still getting paid;
    germany had to buy coal from other coutries as they didnt have any of their own as the Ruhr workers wernt producing coal;
    lead to inflation as paying out trillions of marks every week;
    by end of 1933, germany was the year of hyperinflation;

effects:
    Prices went up and value of money went down;
    people on fixed incomes suffered most, e.g. people on pesions;
    small businesses closed as no1 could offered the simple nesesscities.

that ok?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You could also mention about the government printing more and more money until it became worhtless. And if you want to address the long term causes, you could talk about the post-war recession and the fact that the Weimar goverment chose to borrow money instead of raising taxes to maintain popularity, or even the Second Reich borrowing money to finance the war.

Some people benefitted from the hyperinflation (those with debts, some young people benefitted socially, and future industrialists such as Stinnes (?) and Krupp (?) I think.

Don't know if that helps .

(Edit: Oh and the Dawes plan is a pretty important effect, but I don't know if its covered in the GCSE?)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MolsakaG)
    You could also mention about the government printing more and more money until it became worhtless. And if you want to address the long term causes, you could talk about the post-war recession and the fact that the Weimar goverment chose to borrow money instead of raising taxes to maintain popularity, or even the Second Reich borrowing money to finance the war.

Some people benefitted from the hyperinflation (those with debts, some young people benefitted socially, and future industrialists such as Stinnes (?) and Krupp (?) I think.

Don't know if that helps .

(Edit: Oh and the Dawes plan is a pretty important effect, but I don't know if its covered in the GCSE?)
    cheers :d yea Dawed plan is in gcse
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think the Wall Street Crash had a lot to do with it, the loaning of money was fine up till that point when the US tried calling in their debts..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flying_pigs)
    I think the Wall Street Crash had a lot to do with it, the loaning of money was fine up till that point when the US tried calling in their debts..
    yea the whole thing is practically based on the wall street crash.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Krupp were already huge industrial players in Germany by 1919. Although large businesses such as Krupp could get cheap labour due to hyperinflation, so they got huge benefits, of course real wages plummeted, sending people into poverty etc.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    also didnt look too good for the government in general.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ignore my post about the whole thing being on the wall street crash, it has nothing to do with it. wall street crash was all abou the depression :rolleyes:

*hangs head in shame*
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ^That's just what I was thinking! Maybe you should point out that the middle classes were very badly hit, savings were wiped out?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heninacoop)
    ^That's just what I was thinking! Maybe you should point out that the middle classes were very badly hit, savings were wiped out?
    Yes, the poor had less to lose anyway,and the rich had a lot of their investment in land/foreign currency.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The rich also benefitted in a lot of circumstances in buying up smaller businesses.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 22, 2006
New on TSR

Have a UCAS application question?

Post it in our dedicated forum

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.