The Student Room Group

Imperial Postgraduate Applications 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by VENIVIDIVICI
:cool:... I wonder if our paths will cross. When you will be at South Ken, do you know which building you'll be based in?

In my course, there are a broad BMR theme, so students can choose up to 5 different streams under that...I guess there'll a fair amount of students in total (though not as high as normal taught MSc courses).

Do you know what that 2 month lecture week is about?...my MRes has a week or so of induction stuff at the start. I read the course details and mine doesn't mention anything about 8 weeks for lectures. I think that is very much specific to your course hey.

yeah, the first eight weeks are lectures for Cancer students to gain up-to-date research in the field knowledge and make sure we are all upto scratch for the research we will be doing in the area of cancer, i.e. genetics, pharmacology, pharmacogenomics, cancer pathology etc. :-) also well handled with the argumentative fellow! :wink:
Original post by gavinmetcalf
yeah, the first eight weeks are lectures for Cancer students to gain up-to-date research in the field knowledge and make sure we are all upto scratch for the research we will be doing in the area of cancer, i.e. genetics, pharmacology, pharmacogenomics, cancer pathology etc. :-) also well handled with the argumentative fellow! :wink:

Cheers mate. It sounds great. I'm sure you can't wait to get started.

What area of cancer research interests you?
Original post by VENIVIDIVICI
Cheers mate. It sounds great. I'm sure you can't wait to get started.

What area of cancer research interests you?

I know! Neither can I! I love antineoplastic drug development, and working on developing chemotherapeutic drugs that can work on cancers that are resistant to particular chemotherapeutic drugs, like mutations in FOXP3 in lung and breast cancers that are resistant to anthracyclines. What areas of biomedical science appeal to you?
Thats brilliant. Definitely, something worthwhile to go into. There's a lot of scope in drug development.

I have had about 8 months of research experience in cancer research biochemistry (breast cancer and recently anti-angiogenesis work). It was really good, but am still flexible in terms of where I see myself.

I want to end up working in the interface between basic science (which I was getting exposure to) and clinical application. So, a more translational approach to research...possibly in cancer...my course is very much focused on translational medicine, it will include therapeutics and hopefully clinical trails.
(edited 11 years ago)
123 views...

I guess no one has any advice or have been in a similar position?

:frown:
Reply 405
I got a conditional offer to do MSc Transport and Business Management without doing an interview. I am the happiest person in earth now woooooooooohooooooooooooo
:nutcase:
Original post by thexmanin
I got a conditional offer to do MSc Transport and Business Management without doing an interview. I am the happiest person in earth now woooooooooohooooooooooooo
:nutcase:

Many congratulations :biggrin: well done you!

What's your condition?
Reply 407
First Class :smile:
First Class :smile:

:cool: Are you confident you'll meet the condition?
Reply 409
Everything is leading toward having a first class, but still I am not sure, I have just Submitted my dissertation and my final year project last Friday and I still have one exam lift. According to my university degree classification I think I am definitely I’ll get first class:cool:, but I think imperial they only look at the degree transcripts which require me to get a very high mark in the last exam:confused:.
(edited 11 years ago)
Everything is leading toward having a first class, but still I am not sure, I have just summited my dissertation and my final year project last Friday and I still have one exam lift. According to my university degree classification I think I am definitely I’ll get first class:cool:, but I think imperial they only look at the degree transcripts which require me to get a very high mark in the last exam:confused:.

Doesn't your university transcripts give a aggregate or final percentage mark at the end (bottom of the last page)? My transcripts did, in addition to saying First Class Honours on top next to classification. I know various uni's have different ways of showing this.

That should be enough for Imperial if they see 70% or above?
Reply 411
In my university they remove the worst 20 credit from the second year and the worst 20 credit from third year. According to this I will easily get a first class, but I am not sure about imperial are they going to accept it.
Reply 412
That should be enough for Imperial if they see 70% or above?

I think in the last report or transcript they do this.
Hmm, I see what you mean. Maybe you could ask them to clarify the condition or what they expect.

Just like you said...I think, as long as your overall % mark says 70 or over or your transcripts indicate you have a 1st, that'll be acceptable. Most uni's have different ways of calculating their classifications anyway.
Reply 414
Hello everyone!
I have just called the admission department at Imperial trying to have an update on my application for the Mres in Biomedical Research and have been told I have been selected for an interview. Apparently the date has not been set up yet but should be sometime in June.
The problem is that I have an offer for the Msc Biomedical and Molecular Sciences Research at King's and have till Wednesday next week to accept it and pay the deposit. I don't know what to do! :frown:
Original post by skyliner
Hello everyone!
I have just called the admission department at Imperial trying to have an update on my application for the Mres in Biomedical Research and have been told I have been selected for an interview. Apparently the date has not been set up yet but should be sometime in June.

I have an offer for that course :biggrin:. Are you being interviewed for a place on the course? What stream did you specify you wanted to be aligned to?

Original post by skyliner
The problem is that I have an offer for the Msc Biomedical and Molecular Sciences Research at King's and have till Wednesday next week to accept it and pay the deposit. I don't know what to do! :frown:

That's sucks! Where do you wanna go...Imperial or King's. This may decide the action you need to take...

Can you not try and stall King's...and why is Imperial only interviewing you for the BMR MRes in June? Did they offer an explanation for the delay? I wonder if you could ask to be interviewed a bit earlier.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 416
Hi, thank you for your post.
Well done for your offer at Imperial, you must be very happy.
I applied for the BMR stream on 2nd April but my second reference was only submitted on 19th April.
I called the course administrator and she seemed pretty clueless at first but then she said I was on the interview list and apparently they are waiting to for the right amount of people to be selected for the interview before setting up a date and let the candidates know.
Well, Imperial would probably be my first choice as I believe it will almost certainly secure me a funded Phd afterwards but King’s is very good as well and I would not want to miss that opportunity. I have just emailed King's to see whether they are willing to postpone the confirmation deadline, fingers crossed!
I will keep you posted
Yes, I am very happy.

It sounds like they pooling all the BMR applications, selecting the strong candidates for interview, and making offers afterwards. So, well done on getting an interview. You stand a very good chance of getting in. Just be positive and go for it.

I agree with you about the PhD funding, though King's also gets a lot of funding for biomedical research. So, if you end up at King's, its not a bad situation to be at all. I have a King's interview is June, and may go for it just to see what they all about.

Let's hope King's gives you some extra time...how much is the deposit?
Reply 418
Yes I am very happy about the fact that they want to see me for an interview, I guess that means I am good enough to be considered by one of the best universities in the world! :smile:
I emailed them last week to add some extra information on my CV as I have recently been invited by my undergraduate project supervisor to write a review article for the american journal of clinical and experimental immunology, hoping that would make a difference on the outcome of the application as it is my first relevant experience as a graduate (I only graduated in March this year).
It is £595 for the deposit at king’s, which curse did you apply to?
Reply 419
I meant course!!! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending