The Student Room Group

Imperial Postgraduate Applications 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by skyliner
Wow, well done for being selected for the interview mate. I wasn't aware of this Mres funding, I'd say you stand a good chance of getting it then.
Thank you too for your support, it's been good to share my experience here with a like minded person.
I will let you know as soon as I seal the deal :smile:

Thanks :colondollar:, I am fortunate and feel blessed, no matter what the outcome.

I also didn't know about the funding, until two weeks ago, when I got an email saying that based on the strength of my profile/application and the fact that I have an offer, that they want to invite me to compete for this funding. I was pleasantly surprised. I think none of us being interviewed were aware that there were funding.

We are definitely like-minded and our conversations have been great and given valuable support to us in our endeavours :biggrin:.

Good luck with your decision.
Hey guys,

Do you think I'll be able to get into Imperial with an A* Maths, A/ high B physics, and a probably a B in Economics? I wanna do electronic and electrical engineering and I was wondering how good my chances would be with those grades, bearing in mind that's what I'll be getting after AS (doing double maths).
Any help will be really appreiciated, Imperial is my best choice so far (if that's how you'd say it xD) and I'd really like to know if I'm within a chance to get in, also how will they consider re-takes?

Thanks guys!
Reply 482
Original post by Anythingoo1
Hey guys,

Do you think I'll be able to get into Imperial with an A* Maths, A/ high B physics, and a probably a B in Economics? I wanna do electronic and electrical engineering and I was wondering how good my chances would be with those grades, bearing in mind that's what I'll be getting after AS (doing double maths).
Any help will be really appreiciated, Imperial is my best choice so far (if that's how you'd say it xD) and I'd really like to know if I'm within a chance to get in, also how will they consider re-takes?

Thanks guys!

You'll first have to understand the difference between Undergraduate and Postgraduate....:s-smilie:
Original post by Anythingoo1
Hey guys,

Thanks guys!

Hi, I don't know anything about undergraduate general admissions requirements and even less about departmental requirements. So, its probable best to look at the Imperial College website for that and if need be, try and contact u/g admissions for info.

You may also want to post your questions on a more relevant place (as OP stated - this thread is for p/g applications for admission only).

I hope you find answers to your questions.
Reply 484
Afternoon VeniVidiVici, did you know that Imperial and King's have both joined the Francis Crick Institute?

The news was given in October last year but I have only just found out and I thought that you (and any other Imperial applicants/students on here) might find it interesting.

It's an amazing project and due to open in 2015 so will be ready for all of us on here potentially completing our postgraduate studies the year before. I am sure there will be lots of job opportunities as well as Phd scholarships available.

Here is the link to the brochure:
http://www.crick.ac.uk/media/94490/crick%20brochure%20final%202012.pdf
Afternoon VeniVidiVici, did you know that Imperial and King's have both joined the Francis Crick Institute?

The news was given in October last year but I have only just found out and I thought that you (and any other Imperial applicants/students on here) might find it interesting.

It's an amazing project and due to open in 2015 so will be ready for all of us on here potentially completing our postgraduate studies the year before. I am sure there will be lots of job opportunities as well as Phd scholarships available.

Here is the link to the brochure:
http://www.crick.ac.uk/media/94490/crick brochure final 2012.pdf

Afternoon mate...how are you?

Yes, I do know about the Francis Crick Institute and the timeline for opening. :biggrin:. Thx for posting anyway. Like you said...I am aware of the possible opportunities when it starts operating. All the top uni's and research institutions in London, now part of that initiative...amazing prospect isn't it.

Let's just hope we are ready to take advantage of it...even if I'm only ready by 2016-2017..I think its a place where there'll always be opportunities for PhD's and even postdocs and research associate jobs.

I would love to work in a place like that :colondollar:...definitely something to aim for.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 486
Original post by VENIVIDIVICI
Afternoon mate...how are you?

Yes, I do know about the Francis Crick Institute and the timeline for opening. :biggrin:. Thx for posting anyway. Like you said...I am aware of the possible opportunities when it starts operating. All the top uni's and research institutions in London, now part of that initiative...amazing prospect isn't it.

Let's just hope we are ready to take advantage of it...even if I'm only ready by 2016-2017..I think its a place where there'll always be opportunities for PhD's and even postdocs and research associate jobs.

I would love to work in a place like that :colondollar:...definitely something to aim for.

I am good mate, trying to work on the article but finding it hard with such a beautiful day so i think I might be heading to the park instead :smile:

Yes, it would be great to work or study in a place like that.
I am sure if you start your Phd with one of the six participants of the project you could probably complete your work there once they open early 2015.
Exciting stuff!

Ok, off to the park :cool:
Have a great day mate
I am good mate, trying to work on the article but finding it hard with such a beautiful day so i think I might be heading to the park instead :smile:

Yes, it would be great to work or study in a place like that.
I am sure if you start your Phd with one of the six participants of the project you could probably complete your work there once they open early 2015.
Exciting stuff!

Ok, off to the park :cool:
Have a great day mate

:biggrin: :cool: Enjoy the park! The article will still be there waiting for you...when you return.
(edited 11 years ago)
I did my A levels and and some undegraduate studies in Italy and then about 10 years later I did my undergraduate degree in London.

I don't remember asking, but where in Italy are you from?
Hi! I have a Skype interview tomorrow for the Economics and Strategy MSc course. Does anyone know whether that means it is a video or just audio call? Any new people that have had experience with the interview since the last ppl that posted on this thread would be very appreciated if share any tips as to the content of the interview.

Thanks,
Stefan
Reply 490
I don't remember asking, but where in Italy are you from?

Aloha mate! How are you?
I am originally from the south (Puglia) but moved to the north when I was 19 and then London from there so have been away for quite a while. But my family is still there (in Puglia) and I go visit them at least twice a year; it's a small, quiet town about 15 min away from the sea, beautiful during the summer but extremely hot!
What about you, where in South Africa are you from?
Aloha mate! How are you?
I am originally from the south (Puglia) but moved to the north when I was 19 and then London from there so have been away for quite a while. But my family is still there (in Puglia) and I go visit them at least twice a year; it's a small, quiet town about 15 min away from the sea, beautiful during the summer but extremely hot!
What about you, where in South Africa are you from?

Ciao buddy :biggrin:.

It sounds like a beautiful place man. I must admit, I have not heard of it before. Are you the only one from your family (extended) living in the UK? At least you go home twice a year. I wish I could do that, but South Africa is further away (7500 miles or so) and it also costs a fortune. The last time I went was in 2010 during the world cup...it was amazing :colone:.

I'm from Johannesburg, but would love to return to SA and go live in Cape Town...that place is so beautiful (Table Mountain & the oceans) and more laid-back than Jo'burg and it has a very good university (UCT).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 492
Original post by vinc10
I think it's fully submitted on 2nd Dec and I was asked for an interview on the 8th.

Yes I beleive interviews are part of the selection process, at least for MSc Management and MSc Innovation, Entrepreneurship and Managemen. You need to have an interview with them before getting an offer.

Hello I got an interview chance as well, may I ask what questions did they ask? Thanks a lot! I wish that I could be one of the student in that course!
Reply 493
Ciao buddy :biggrin:.

It sounds like a beautiful place man. I must admit, I have not heard of it before. Are you the only one from your family (extended) living in the UK? At least you go home twice a year. I wish I could do that, but South Africa is further away (7500 miles or so) and it also costs a fortune. The last time I went was in 2010 during the world cup...it was amazing :colone:.

I'm from Johannesburg, but would love to return to SA and go live in Cape Town...that place is so beautiful (Table Mountain & the oceans) and more laid-back than Jo'burg and it has a very good university (UCT).

He he ciao! :smile:

I used to know a girl here in London from Johannesburg who moved to Cape Town. She sent me a few pictures once, what an amazing place, beautiful.

Yes, it’s only me in London from my family. I came here by myself as the first stop of what should have been the trip of a lifetime but then I found love (now gone), friends, work, and London became home... and some 11 years later I am still here! :biggrin:

I don’t have a strong connection with my hometown. I have a great family and I miss them of course, but I wouldn’t go back to live there, I couldn’t.
But it’s good to go there on holiday a couple of times a year, especially during the summer, lovely place.

I love London and I’ll probably be stuck here for at least another 4 years if everything goes well with my studies (master’s and Phd) but Australia has always been on my mind...who knows! :smile:
Cape Town over Jo'burg anytime :smile:

I too am the only one of my family here and so is my wife...it gets lonely, especially over the festive period, Easter holidays and certain special occasions. But, like you, this has become home...at least until I get my PhD and research career going. Who knows where I'll end up...but I have less flexibility as my wife has a solid career here and even moving to London is impossible...let alone moving across continents.

Australia...now that would be nice...but for me its way too far from western Europe and other places...but like South Africa, it has amazing beaches and natural beauty.

I wouldn't mind going to the US for a few years...maybe go do some research at MIT or Harvard or CalTech or Berkeley...that would be an experience for me.

Hey, I better stop day-dreaming...LOL!

Have you decided about King's yet, mate?
Hi! I have a Skype interview tomorrow for the Economics and Strategy MSc course. Does anyone know whether that means it is a video or just audio call? Any new people that have had experience with the interview since the last ppl that posted on this thread would be very appreciated if share any tips as to the content of the interview.

Thanks,
Stefan
Reply 496
Original post by Stefan Dimov

Thanks,
Stefan

It will be a video call - though it doesn't matter to much! I was in my pyjamas and literally just got out of bed when I had mine as I wasn't expecting it to be Video but my interviewer asked for me to turn it on... *awkward*. But didn't matter, its more about the content - I still managed to get a place:smile:
Original post by j.sheth6
It will be a video call - though it doesn't matter to much! I was in my pyjamas and literally just got out of bed when I had mine as I wasn't expecting it to be Video but my interviewer asked for me to turn it on... *awkward*. But didn't matter, its more about the content - I still managed to get a place:smile:

Hey mate, thanks for the input.. if you don't feel comfortable talking abt the precise questions they asked, could you just tell us if they were technical in nature or purely about your background/motivation?

Thanks!
Stefan
Reply 498
Cape Town over Jo'burg anytime :smile:

I too am the only one of my family here and so is my wife...it gets lonely, especially over the festive period, Easter holidays and certain special occasions. But, like you, this has become home...at least until I get my PhD and research career going. Who knows where I'll end up...but I have less flexibility as my wife has a solid career here and even moving to London is impossible...let alone moving across continents.

Australia...now that would be nice...but for me its way too far from western Europe and other places...but like South Africa, it has amazing beaches and natural beauty.

I wouldn't mind going to the US for a few years...maybe go do some research at MIT or Harvard or CalTech or Berkeley...that would be an experience for me.

Hey, I better stop day-dreaming...LOL!

Have you decided about King's yet, mate?

Day dreaming is good mate, is what keeps us young :biggrin:

Yeah, I thought about the US too and it'd be much closer to Europe (and in my case to my family).

I spoke to a couple of people between yesterday and today, who have had dealings with Imperial. One of them is an ex Imperial student who did an Msc in Genetics about 10 years ago and although he found it quite hard, he highly recommends the University as it offered him lots of job opportunities after graduation.

The other one is my friend's boss, who has had dealings with both Universities (although he was educated at Cambridge) and he recommends King's...

So, yes it's King's for me...However, I can hear little voices in my head whispering “Skyliner...Imperial’s interview...” :confused:

So I have decided to wait till Friday and if Imperial is not able to give me a date for my interview by then, I will pay my deposit at King’s.
Sounds like a plan, huh? :smile:
Day dreaming is good mate, is what keeps us young :biggrin:

Yeah, I thought about the US too and it'd be much closer to Europe (and in my case to my family).

I spoke to a couple of people between yesterday and today, who have had dealings with Imperial. One of them is an ex Imperial student who did an Msc in Genetics about 10 years ago and although he found it quite hard, he highly recommends the University as it offered him lots of job opportunities after graduation.

The other one is my friend's boss, who has had dealings with both Universities (although he was educated at Cambridge) and he recommends King's...

So, yes it's King's for me...However, I can hear little voices in my head whispering “Skyliner...Imperial’s interview...” :confused:

So I have decided to wait till Friday and if Imperial is not able to give me a date for my interview by then, I will pay my deposit at King’s.
Sounds like a plan, huh? :smile:

Anything that keeps me young :biggrin:. I read an article the other day about a guy who did his degree when he was in his late 80's and now at 90 yrs old, he's starting his masters...inspiration! I hope I can do that one day...I want to learn all the time :rolleyes:.

US or Europe for me mate...:smile:.

Okay, I have to just say, I hope you don't take this the wrong way...just be careful that you don't listen to too many people's input, perceptions, experiences, etc. and let it cloud your judgement. I agree that it is valuable to get information and to use this to inform your decision...But, there will always be differing views on the "go to King's" or "go to Imperial"...but you must have a gut feel (or intuition) about what will be best for you. And only YOU can decide this.

If Imperial gives you an interview and if you then get an offer...its going to be even more difficult to make a decision than what it is now. I get the sense that you want to take the King's offer, but like you said, you enticed by Imperial, otherwise you would have paid your King's deposit already.

I personally think that both uni's will offer great opportunities and it will be what you make of it. They are both heavily funded (even in these austerity times) for research and I have seen many PhD offers and research opportunities and even RA jobs at King's over the last year or so. The only difference is that in the world of rankings and league tables...Imperial is ranked higher. For us, its about getting the right supervisor & projects that can have an impact and help us to get onto our research career paths.

My friend, you are in a difficult situation and I hope when the time comes you make a decision that works for you :biggrin:. You are the type of person who will be successful irrespective of where you choose to go.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending