The Student Room Group

Imperial Postgraduate Applications 2012

Scroll to see replies

do you guys have money to burn? :biggrin:
Reply 161
Original post by Akkuz

Original post by Akkuz
Not sure why Cambridge is cheaper. Maybe because it awards an 'MPhil' rather than 'MSc' :dontknow: And perhaps they get a lot of funding. That isn't for every course though..I'm only speaking about the courses I've applied for.

King's is slightly less reputable than Imperial, hence it's £10,000 less I guess. The reputation of a university is likely to change from country to country. Furthermore Imperial have strong networking which would making obtaining an initial job easier.

For example in my country, King's is more heard-of than Imperial, which is odd.

You've got to be joking. Imperial is in a whole different league to Kings. Imperial, UCL and Oxbridge are world class, always in the top 20 in the world and top 5 in the UK. Imperial competes with MIT in my discipline(civil engineering). Furthermore the prestige from Imperial and UCL is like prestige from oxbridge.
Reply 162
Original post by Tripo
You've got to be joking. Imperial is in a whole different league to Kings. Imperial, UCL and Oxbridge are world class, always in the top 20 in the world and top 5 in the UK. Imperial competes with MIT in my discipline(civil engineering). Furthermore the prestige from Imperial and UCL is like prestige from oxbridge.

Hence, why I said reputation can differ from country to country. Learn to read. :cool:

Furthermore, I have not denied that Imperial isn't better than King's, however if you do your research your likely to discover that the reputation of King's is also "World Class".

It consistently ranks in the top 30 worldwide, and considering there are over ~18,000 university institutions in the world, that's not too shabby. Hence, why King's have sites in various corners of the world.
Reply 163
Original post by Akkuz

Original post by Akkuz
Hence, why I said reputation can differ from country to country. Learn to read. :cool:

Furthermore, I have not denied that Imperial isn't better than King's, however if you do your research your likely to discover that the reputation of King's is also "World Class".

It consistently ranks in the top 30 worldwide, and considering there are over ~18,000 university institutions in the world, that's not too shabby. Hence, why King's have sites in various corners of the world.

I dont deny that kings is very good, I'm just advising you to wait for UCL and Imperial.
Just got an email from the department telling me that I will be given an offer for the MSc in Computing :biggrin: Sooo excited!

No idea if I will get funding though, but yay I've got an offer... :redface:

Oh and btw: My last document for my application has been uploaded on Nov 22; so it took admissions less than the stated 8-10 weeks to respond. :smile:
Reply 165
FML I haven't even started my Imperial application.

I've only done MIT, Princeton and Cambridge so far. Must. Get. Cracking.
Hey everyone, congratulations to those who already received an offer. I am also applying for Imperial master degree, but still struggling make up my mind on which course to do, can anyone kindly provide me any advice please?

I did Maths and Business Studies at Warwick University, and achieved a very low 2.1... so not feeling very confident applying for imperial, but again that depends on which course to go for, cant be anything too competative...

So my choices are MSc Maths and Finance, MSc Risk Management and Financial Engineering, MSc Management and MSc in Metals and Energy Finance....

Any opinions would be appreciated... thank you very much!!!!!!
Reply 167
Original post by Rainbow Lee
Hey everyone, congratulations to those who already received an offer. I am also applying for Imperial master degree, but still struggling make up my mind on which course to do, can anyone kindly provide me any advice please?

I did Maths and Business Studies at Warwick University, and achieved a very low 2.1... so not feeling very confident applying for imperial, but again that depends on which course to go for, cant be anything too competative...

So my choices are MSc Maths and Finance, MSc Risk Management and Financial Engineering, MSc Management and MSc in Metals and Energy Finance....

Any opinions would be appreciated... thank you very much!!!!!!

To be honest, the first three courses you mentioned are all ridiculously competitive. After all, it's the business school...:redface:
Reply 168
Finally got an offer today :smile:
Original post by vinc10

Original post by vinc10
To be honest, the first three courses you mentioned are all ridiculously competitive. After all, it's the business school...:redface:

What about MSc in Metals and Energy Finance? isn't Finance Department tough there as well??
Reply 170
Original post by Rainbow Lee
What about MSc in Metals and Energy Finance? isn't Finance Department tough there as well??

Sorry I have no idea about that department and course, but I guess the competition will be less fierce as the name of business school has attracted loads of overseas applicants.
Reply 171
Original post by vinc10
Finally got an offer today :smile:

Congrats dude! What's your offer? 1st?
Reply 172
Original post by Akkuz
Congrats dude! What's your offer? 1st?

Thanks mate! I'm really happy for this and it's no brainer between Imperial and UCL (although I saw that my UCL application status changes to being processed by admissions today as well).

I haven't known the conditions of the offer yet as the e-service hasn't been updated. I hope it's just a 2:1 as I don't think I can eventually get a first!
Reply 173
Original post by vinc10
Thanks mate! I'm really happy for this and it's no brainer between Imperial and UCL (although I saw that my UCL application status changes to being processed by admissions today as well).

I haven't known the conditions of the offer yet as the e-service hasn't been updated. I hope it's just a 2:1 as I don't think I can eventually get a first!

Ah I see. Let us know how it goes.

My King's offer is 65%. Given that Imperial is of an 'elite' status, I'd assume your offer would be in the 67%-70% range. Hopefully, 67 for you :tongue:

The 65% offer from King's has taken all final year pressure off me, hah.
Reply 174
Original post by Akkuz
Ah I see. Let us know how it goes.

My King's offer is 65%. Given that Imperial is of an 'elite' status, I'd assume your offer would be in the 67%-70% range. Hopefully, 67 for you :tongue:

The 65% offer from King's has taken all final year pressure off me, hah.

Sigh that's bad! I hope it's not...

65% for me is still very challenging as my final year modules are all really hard....

Time to concentrate on revision for my exams in 10 days time! :frown:

Can't wait to see the conditions! But some people said it takes up to 3 weeks for them to update the conditions on e-service. The hassle never ends.:mad:
Reply 175
Original post by vinc10
Sigh that's bad! I hope it's not...

65% for me is still very challenging as my final year modules are all really hard....

Time to concentrate on revision for my exams in 10 days time! :frown:

Can't wait to see the conditions! But some people said it takes up to 3 weeks for them to update the conditions on e-service. The hassle never ends.:mad:

Just wait and see how it goes.

Even though I have my 65% offer I'm still working hard to achieve a 1st, because the game doesn't fully finish until June. Forget about the offer conditions for now and aim as high as possible because a 70% offer probably isn't uncommon.

If you really want to find out, you could try ringing the department.
Reply 176
Is there any chance your offer would be 67? it seems very strange for me... :s-smilie:
I know people with different offers : like 2.1, 65%, first, 2.2 but not 67%..
Reply 177
I have heard of 67% offers. I don't see why not?

E-mailed Imperial this morning, so they can withdraw my application.
Reply 178
Original post by Akkuz
I have heard of 67% offers. I don't see why not?

E-mailed Imperial this morning, so they can withdraw my application.

So did you accept the offer at KCL?
Reply 179
Original post by zziippoo
So did you accept the offer at KCL?

Not yet, but I will in a couple of days. They want £930 deposit in a few days time!! :colonhash:

I'm still praying for an offer from Cambridge, though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending