The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

SOAS Applicants Thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Mani Katti
Haha same, I was trying desparately to spot the difference in the emails and then I was like...oh wait, they're identical :L. Awesome :biggrin: Is SOAS your first choice? :smile:

Also, I'm glad it appeared to be everyone that had the two emails, and not just me D:

At least I'm not the only one that did that! I was hoping they'd added "Oh btw you have an unconditional offer" at the end (it would never happen but I can dream!)

SOAS is my joint first choice alongside Cambridge atm. SOAS is literally perfect for me but I really don't want to stay in London for university, I've lived here my entire life and could do with a change of scenery! I'm still not fully decided though, I'm trying not too think on it too much until I have all of my replies. How about you?
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Original post by LauriC
Course: History of Art (Asia, Africa and Europe Pathway at UCL)

Entry requirements: 34 IB points and 5, 5, 5 at Higher Level

Currently studying: English, Biology, Visual Arts, Maths, History, French

Predictions: 36 points and 6, 6, 6 at HL

Other uni choices: UCl, The Courtauld Institute of Art, Goldsmiths, UCA

omg!! im applying to the courtauld, goldsmiths and soas too!! what the hell is uca lolz? i havent applied yet im gonna do it this week eee!!
Reply 22
Original post by thestudentraum
omg!! im applying to the courtauld, goldsmiths and soas too!! what the hell is uca lolz? i havent applied yet im gonna do it this week eee!!

University of Creative Arts (UCA)
Original post by Rei_Rei
At least I'm not the only one that did that! I was hoping they'd added "Oh btw you have an unconditional offer" at the end (it would never happen but I can dream!)

SOAS is my joint first choice alongside Cambridge atm. SOAS is literally perfect for me but I really don't want to stay in London for university, I've lived here my entire life and could do with a change of scenery! I'm still not fully decided though, I'm trying not too think on it too much until I have all of my replies. How about you?

Haha same! Ah, we can dream I guess :L.

Awesome :smile: Yeah, I guess that's why I wasn't really keen on studying where I live, kinda want to get away a bit :L. And fair enough :smile: Yeah, I think SOAS is my first choice. My other choices are Manchester and Leeds and I think that SOAS is just a bit more close knit than the others, seemed really good to me :smile:.
Reply 24
Course: Social Anthropology
Entry requirements: AAA
Currently studying: English Lit, History, Philosophy
Predictions: A*A*A
Other uni choices: Edinburgh, Manchester, Sussex, Kent

Sent my UCAS off last night!! Does SOAS offer accommodation to people already living in London if SOAS is their top choice? :biggrin:
Reply 25
Original post by Rei_Rei
I actually received two emails from SOAS today for some strange reason. Both say the same thing but were sent several hours apart! At any rate I'm just glad to finally have had my application acknowledged :smile:

The same thing happened to me!

Original post by LRodel
Course: Social Anthropology
Entry requirements: AAA
Currently studying: English Lit, History, Philosophy
Predictions: A*A*A
Other uni choices: Edinburgh, Manchester, Sussex, Kent

Sent my UCAS off last night!! Does SOAS offer accommodation to people already living in London if SOAS is their top choice? :biggrin:

I applied for the same course too!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by thestudentraum

The University for the Creative Arts - if i don't get into SOAS, Goldsmiths or The Courtauld (which are my first choices :smile: ) then I think I'm going to do a foundation year in art and design and then do a degree in Art Curation/Communication :smile:
st martins curation communication criticism course open day tomorrow!!!
Reply 28
Course: Japanese
Entry requirements: AAB
Currently studying: English Literature, Religous Studies, I.T
Predictions: AAA
Other uni choices: Oxford, Oxford Brookes, Birmingham and Sheffield
Reply 29
Anyone received word from them yet?
Reply 30
Course: Development studies and social anthropology
Entry requirements IB: 38pts, (7,6,6 at HL)
Currently studying: Biology, Maths, English, French, Spanish, Geography
Other universities: Leeds, Sussex, Loughborough, Nottingham

I'm in love with the course at SOAS, but I haven't sent my application yet because I'm still hesitating... I've heard that the different ethnic groups at the university tend to stick to themselves so if anyone has visited could you tell me if this is true or not?
Also I'm really keen on sport but they don't seem to offer much (is this also true?)
Original post by marianne94
Course: Development studies and social anthropology
Entry requirements IB: 38pts, (7,6,6 at HL)
Currently studying: Biology, Maths, English, French, Spanish, Geography
Other universities: Leeds, Sussex, Loughborough, Nottingham

I am applying for the same course, well the other way around Social Anthropology and Development studies, but the content is fairly the same I guess.

Apart from sussex though I didn't know the other uni's have anything anthropology related, maybe development.
Reply 32
Original post by marianne94

I'm in love with the course at SOAS, but I haven't sent my application yet because I'm still hesitating... I've heard that the different ethnic groups at the university tend to stick to themselves so if anyone has visited could you tell me if this is true or not?

I know some people that go there and they've suggested this to me. Also I've actually visited the uni a lot of times and I'm in the area frequently and I've noticed that SOAS students really do tend to stick to their own racial groups. Then again it seems to be the same at most unis, perhaps it just seems worse there since there are more foreign students than the average uni.
Reply 33
This thread is so... dead. ):

Anyone have anything interesting to say? (:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by LRodel
Does SOAS offer accommodation to people already living in London if SOAS is their top choice? :biggrin:

I emailed them a while back to ask the same thing and they said that accommodation is offered to those outside of the M25 first. With it being such a small uni, it's understandable! If there aren't enough spaces I think you just get put on the waiting list but there are still a few other ways to get accommodation not too far from SOAS. I'm not too sure where I read it but there are a few bedsit sorta houses nearby.

Whereabouts do you live/ how local?
Reply 35
Original post by 082349
This thread is so... dead. ):

Anyone have anything interesting to say? (:

sizzle :tongue:
Reply 36
Original post by jarif2
sizzle :tongue:

Yay let's talk about something! What are you applying for and why did you choose SOAS!

(:
Reply 37
History!
Erm I went to a masterclass there on Mao's China last year and I loved it . I went to one the other day as well lol on globalisation which reignited my intense liking of the uni. I'm not too sure what it is but I just felt soo comfortable there and the students/lecturers are amazing (well what I saw of them anyways). Everyone is so passionate :biggrin: Wbu?
Reply 38
Original post by jarif2
I emailed them a while back to ask the same thing and they said that accommodation is offered to those outside of the M25 first.

Hehe would love to know if the m25 really is the border the use :tongue: i'm literally a minute away from it -.-

Having to start my personal statement right now >.< dont know what to write! was so easy applying for undergraduate courses, A level tutors pretty much wrote it for us!
Reply 39
Original post by jarif2
History!
Erm I went to a masterclass there on Mao's China last year and I loved it . I went to one the other day as well lol on globalisation which reignited my intense liking of the uni. I'm not too sure what it is but I just felt soo comfortable there and the students/lecturers are amazing (well what I saw of them anyways). Everyone is so passionate :biggrin: Wbu?

I applied for Social Anthropology! I've never been there since I'm international but my father who studied in London recommended it to me.

I think SOAS would be quite a good place to do Social Anthropology since it's a university filled with lots of cultures, both academically and outside of class!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending