The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

SOAS Applicants Thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

I've put SOAS as my insurance for Music - offer BBB.

I guess I need to apply for accommodation - if so, when do applications open, and how do I apply?
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Reply 401
Original post by okthefolkie
I guess I need to apply for accommodation - if so, when do applications open, and how do I apply?

Applications are open now! If you go to this website http://www.smsstudent.co.uk/soas.asp it will show you the accomodation open for SOAS students or intercollegiate students - Dinwiddy House is the main SOAS accomodation for Undergraduate students.

I emailed SOAS ([email protected]) right after I firmed my offer asking for an Accomodation Serial Number and they got back to me within an hour with all the information I needed to fill out the form :biggrin:
Original post by AJRupert
Applications are open now! If you go to this website http://www.smsstudent.co.uk/soas.asp it will show you the accomodation open for SOAS students or intercollegiate students - Dinwiddy House is the main SOAS accomodation for Undergraduate students.

I emailed SOAS ([email protected]) right after I firmed my offer asking for an Accomodation Serial Number and they got back to me within an hour with all the information I needed to fill out the form :biggrin:

Awesome, thank you! :smile:

What with it being my insurance, I'd forgotten all about it! Will get it sorted today.
Reply 403
Awesome, thank you! :smile:

What with it being my insurance, I'd forgotten all about it! Will get it sorted today.

You actually reminded me that I completely forgot to apply for accomodation to my insurance place at Sheffield hah! Luckily I've got it sorted now :rolleyes:
You actually reminded me that I completely forgot to apply for accomodation to my insurance place at Sheffield hah! Luckily I've got it sorted now :rolleyes:

How bizarre - Sheffield's my firm. :P What subject are you applying for?
Reply 405
How bizarre - Sheffield's my firm. :P What subject are you applying for?

Japanese! I want to live in London and SOAS is a better university for these kind of subjects in my opinion. I was thinking of asking if I could change to Japanese and Law seeing as SOAS is such a good place for law but everyone I speak to including my sister who has a masters in law and my friend whose in their third year of Law at SOAS seems to think it's the worst idea possible! Might just see what they say or stick with just Japanese :smile:
and my friend whose in their third year of Law at SOAS seems to think it's the worst idea possible! Might just see what they say or stick with just Japanese :smile:

Does your friend think its the worst idea because its SOAS or because its Law, the subject? :smile:
Anyone firm SOAS for economics?
Original post by darkshadow1111
Anyone firm SOAS for economics?

not pure econ.. but econ/politics
Reply 409
Anyone received offers today or yesterday? They sure are taking their time... D:
Original post by macboo
Anyone received offers today or yesterday? They sure are taking their time... D:

Haven't received anything yet. I hate the wait. What have you applied to?
Reply 411
Original post by aysha.19
Does your friend think its the worst idea because its SOAS or because its Law, the subject? :smile:

Oh purely because it is law, they can't wait for me to get to SOAS. She never stops saying how good it is, but does say they take ages to get anything done :P
Oh purely because it is law, they can't wait for me to get to SOAS. She never stops saying how good it is, but does say they take ages to get anything done :P

Well, Law is not an easy subject.
I see.
What about the insight day? Is there anybody who went?
Original post by Joeyy1181
Well done :smile: :smile:. What was your entry offer? And are you guys going to the insight day next week??

I'm doing a Cert HE Legal ethod course at Birkbeck at the moment and my condition is to pass with a distinction.

I'm Def going to firm SOAS!
Reply 415
Does anyone have any more information on Dinwiddy House or the intercollegiate halls - i heard Dinwiddy isn't socially the best but want people to tell me otherwise! :smile: I've just firmed SOAS for Law and need to sort my accommodation out asap :-)
Still haven't had a fricking reply yet! :O
Original post by munchies1991
Still haven't had a fricking reply yet! :O

OH!
is it just you!? :O that'd be awkward.
Reply 418
I applied for BA Law and Economics around December, and till now I still haven't heard anything back from them. I rang them up this morning, they told me that my application is still pending, and I can expect a decision from them within the next two weeks. I was wondering how can they be soooooo slow in dealing with application as the May deadline is approaching soon. Anyone still havent got their replies as well ? This is so anoying.....!!!!
Original post by sgyanel
I applied for BA Law and Economics around December, and till now I still haven't heard anything back from them. I rang them up this morning, they told me that my application is still pending, and I can expect a decision from them within the next two weeks. I was wondering how can they be soooooo slow in dealing with application as the May deadline is approaching soon. Anyone still havent got their replies as well ? This is so anoying.....!!!!

Hi, I applied for BA Arabic/BA Middle Eastern Studies and I have been waiting as well. I am applying as a "mature student"(& EU national) with grades lower than requested but with a bit or experience in the field. I was dead sure they they had rejected me but just forgot to inform UCAS.
However, today I got an email from the department inviting me to an interview next Monday (30th). Very unexpected and happy news.
SOAS have been known to be a bit slow so I bet your email will follow shortly.

While on the subject, does anyone have some good tips on what to prepare for the interview? Do they usually call people for interviews? And is it worth spending the money to fly over there (I am currently in Cairo studying) for a face-to-face interview or is it "okay" to do it over the phone? I don't want them to get the impression that I am not devoted or interested enough.

Quick Reply

Latest