The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

SOAS Applicants Thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stilo
Do Universities generally do that? Newcastle tried to get me for £1500, and there was another fee as well that they wanted me to pay, I forget what it was though.

Here they do yeah, probably over 90% of universities will charge you a deposit for postgraduate courses. The main reason being so that you really think before you apply for something, otherwise you could literally apply for every single existing course in the land which would take up too much admin time and expense. Partly the reason I'm surprised we haven't been asked for one, though, is because our course is on the steep side for home students like myself, as it's designed so that all pay the same (home and international). A lot of universities will charge half what we're charged, for home students.
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
... I rang the scholarship office today. She said there's a delay and the applications have only just been sent to the panel. She said she 'might' put a note on the site if it will be any later than mid June -_- ... I'm like ... Dude people are freaking about their uncertain futures and you 'might' put something on the site. Eek. Did you get your grades yet? They want a first to even be considered for the scholarship right?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 482
Got my offer to study for my Masters today! :smile:
Original post by StephieB

Well done :smile:
Reply 484
Original post by StephieB

That's great! I'm happy for you :smile:
Reply 485
Original post by aimeeus_prime
... I rang the scholarship office today. She said there's a delay and the applications have only just been sent to the panel. She said she 'might' put a note on the site if it will be any later than mid June -_- ... I'm like ... Dude people are freaking about their uncertain futures and you 'might' put something on the site. Eek. Did you get your grades yet? They want a first to even be considered for the scholarship right?

Eeeek i wish they would hurry up! That would be the case across all the faculties right?
I guess so. The lady seemed pretty chill about it... Which one did you apply for? I know there's very little chance i'll get it but I can always hope!

Reply 487
Yeah my chances are slim too. I applied for the faculty of law and social sciences one cause I'm doing development studies. What about you?.

Mine is for an mmus ethnomusicology. I got the grades I need and I had really good references so I can always hope. I was confused about the academic evidence thing though... I got like a studentship thing and a grant last year to do an extra course. I dunno if that counts though. :/ I can't go without the scholarship cos I have a child and a partner whose still in second year so it's my last hope really.

Reply 489
Yup we gotta hope! For the academic evidence thing I just listed all the scholarships I have received in the past so we should be fine on that part. I'm sure it counts.

I hope you get it! Best of luck!

I hope you get it too :smile:

SOAS is being silly about this scholarship now :frown: thanks for calling them, aimeeus_prime!
It's my only hope too, so good luck to all of us! :smile:
I know. It's causing me a great deal of stress. What are your plans if you don't get it?

I'll just have to continue working and sort out my long-term plans that don't involve an MA... :frown: what about yourself?
Early years PGCE. That's why I did my music degree but it got really really into ethnomusicology and desperately wanted to go to SOAS.

Ah, I do hope you get it too then!
This wait is killing me, I could be applying for jobs already but don't want to in case I do get the scholarship... I tried calling the registry but they never pick up so I emailed the scholarships team... they're rubbish at replying to emails though so not sure it helped. Any news on your end?
Nope still nothing :frown: all they said on the phone was that they hadn't sent it to the board yet

Update: I talked to them today in person and they told me the applications for this particular scholarship still haven't been sent to the panel (many others have already been awarded. Just our luck). They're going to send out an email on Monday telling everyone about the delay. I asked what sort of timeframe we can expect but the lady said she doesn't know... I suppose it'll be at least a week but probably more than that, seeing as they haven't even looked at our files yet...
I told the woman that some of us actually can't sit around waiting for this and need to get on with our lives one way or another... she was very apologetic but couldn't really help me. I'm so frustrated... I might just go and take a job offer if I get any as I don't know how long I can wait now.
Was that just for the faculty scholarships? That really sucks. I'm in the same position as you.

Reply 499
Thanks so much for checking on that little fish. Just keep your options open and everything will sort itself out in what is actually no time :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending