The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

SOAS Applicants Thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
So... I'm wondering, if any one who has received their IB results has heard from SOAS, could they let me/us know? It might just be me being paranoid, but I'm starting to panic because I haven't heard from them (or anyone) yet. Thank you all, and good luck for results all you A-level people!!
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Reply 521
Original post by Sabsy27
I'm in the same situation! I got 36, with 7,6,6 in HL for LLB Law... it's been 2 and a half weeks, and I also sent them a letter of appeal. Have you heard anything yet?

Hi, yeah they confirmed my place for politics & Law a week ago. They took a lot of time to confirm it, however i did not send them any email prior. I'm sure they'll confirm your place soon, have patience.
Do SOAS accept Level 3 BTEC Extended National Diplomas? I'm interested in Social Anthropology, saying AAA which is the same as DDD
Reply 523
Original post by Philraw123
Do SOAS accept Level 3 BTEC Extended National Diplomas? I'm interested in Social Anthropology, saying AAA which is the same as DDD

Yes, they do.

I applied for my course with a National Diploma(Level 3), too.

Original post by keziah_X
Hey I do Korean at SOAS in my first year atm, sorry to hear you were rejected :frown:

What were your predicted A Levels? And is one of them in a language?

Sorry for the late reply, haven't logged in for so long since March><
I have finished a BTEC Level 3 Extended National Diploma but it's not a language course. (I got rejected for Korean because of a low initial grade prediction but my final grade prediction has changed quite a lot and it's above the minimum requirement)

----------------------------
Slightly off-topic question...
-I've accepted BA Korean+Linguistics as my firm and Korean+Geography as my insurance-- the problem is, I don't really wanna do Linguistics or Geography along with Korean, would it be possible to request a change to "pure" Korean or am I stuck the rest of the year on this course? :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Loretto

----------------------------
Slightly off-topic question...
-I've accepted BA Korean+Linguistics as my firm and Korean+Geography as my insurance-- the problem is, I don't really wanna do Linguistics or Geography along with Korean, would it be possible to request a change to "pure" Korean or am I stuck the rest of the year on this course? :frown:

I'm almost 100% sure you can do that with out any major hassle :smile: You can always email the admissions desk and ask if they can change it for you now, or just wait until Freshers and have a chat with them then.
Reply 525
Original post by FatCharlie
I'm almost 100% sure you can do that with out any major hassle :smile: You can always email the admissions desk and ask if they can change it for you now, or just wait until Freshers and have a chat with them then.

Thank you! I'm gonna e-mail SOAS now and see what they say.:smile:
Well, results are out... I didn't get the scholarship :frown:
What about you guys?
Nope :frown: I am devastated. I'm sorry you didn't get it x

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Ahh, I was hoping at least you'd get it :frown: sorry :frown:
I told my lecturer and he called them dickheads, which made me feel better. Are you still going to go?

Nope, I don't have the money :frown: What about you?
I'm bummed because it was my former lecturer at SOAS (who's still teaching there) who wrote one of my recommendation letters, so I wonder what they wanted that I didn't have. But there's no point asking them since they definitely won't answer anyway :frown:
Original post by little fish
Nope, I don't have the money :frown: What about you?
I'm bummed because it was my former lecturer at SOAS (who's still teaching there) who wrote one of my recommendation letters, so I wonder what they wanted that I didn't have. But there's no point asking them since they definitely won't answer anyway :frown:

No I thought the same. I'm in the same position as you. Theres no way I can afford it. It's pants.

Reply 532
Does anyone know if the draft timetables tend to change ??
Original post by aimeeus_prime
No I thought the same. I'm in the same position as you. Theres no way I can afford it. It's pants.

Good luck with your future plans, whatever they may be :frown: I'm consoling myself by telling myself that life meant it to be this way so I'll accept it and move on :smile:
Reply 534
Original post by moe94
Hi, yeah they confirmed my place for politics & Law a week ago. They took a lot of time to confirm it, however i did not send them any email prior. I'm sure they'll confirm your place soon, have patience.

Hi there! How long exactly did it take for them to confirm your place? I completed a foundation course in July but I missed the offer by 0.7% (they asked for 75% overall). They still haven't confirmed my place after 4 weeks now. I have sent my results and a letter of appeal already. But it's funny how I have confirmed my accommodation in International Hall lol. Any advice? Thanks!
Original post by little fish
Good luck with your future plans, whatever they may be :frown: I'm consoling myself by telling myself that life meant it to be this way so I'll accept it and move on :smile:

That's a good attitude :smile: I'm just moping. Good luck to you too x

Reply 536
Is there anyone undertaking the new course at SOAS:

MA in the Study of Contemporary Pakistan

Thanks
Reply 537
Original post by ronald709
Hi there! How long exactly did it take for them to confirm your place? I completed a foundation course in July but I missed the offer by 0.7% (they asked for 75% overall). They still haven't confirmed my place after 4 weeks now. I have sent my results and a letter of appeal already. But it's funny how I have confirmed my accommodation in International Hall lol. Any advice? Thanks!

Hi,
I recieved my confirmation 10 days after i recieved my results. I'm sure they'll confirm you if you're only 0.7% away, SOAS is very reasonable with results, it may be that they're still waiting for other results so they can compare you with others. Just be patient on them, i'm sure they will respond soon Dont bug them with emails and calls, i think that slows the process.
16th of August ill find out whether i get in for Law! Hopefully they wont be strict with results :P
Reply 539
Original post by Sabsy27
I'm in the same situation! I got 36, with 7,6,6 in HL for LLB Law... it's been 2 and a half weeks, and I also sent them a letter of appeal. Have you heard anything yet?

Hi there! I'm also a conditional offer holder of LLB law but I did foundation not IB. I'm wondering if you've sorted the accommodation out. I've sorted my accommodation but they haven't confirmed my place yet (i missed the offer by 0.7%). Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending