The Student Room Group

Making excuses about bad AS grades?

Heyy TSR,

I've just started my second year of sixth form and am obviously now looking at applying to university (I'd like to do German, Russian and European Studies btw xD)... but I didn't do very well at AS level (BCC in German, Spanish and Maths respectively).

I have 2 questions (greedy, I know :P).
Firstly, if I write a decent personal statement, my reference from my tutor is good and my predicted grades are higher, do you think I still stand a chance of getting a place at a top uni with requirements of ABB?

Secondly, the reason I didn't do very well is because I had an awful year... I spent 90% of it feeling really really depressed and not sleeping at all (consequently I didn't work very hard). I'm wondering whether to a) to mention it and seem like I'm making an excuse (which I guess I am), b) just mention that I had a 'difficult year' in my PS, C) get my tutor to mention it (she's all too aware of what a nightmare year I've had) or d) just ignore it all. Will universities just think I'm pathetic for trying to excuse my grades?

What do you think? I'm taking a gap year anyway, so maybe I should stop stressing, work hard and just reapply with good A Level grades next year?

Ahhhh, I don't know! Please help me :frown:

Thanks for your time :biggrin: <3
Reply 1
Tell them it was your parents fault for not making you do your homework.
Yes you stand a chance, no I wouldn't mention any of that personally but it can be included in the reference factually by your referee if you feel it may help contextualize your achievements. They may well think it is pathetic, but it holds far more weights coming from your teacher.
Reply 3
Are you resitting some AS units? I would say don't take a gap year because if you resat, and got ABB or higher at a-level you would regret not applying this year :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks so much for your help! :smile: I'm going to get my tutor to mention it really briefly I think.. Should I say anything in my PS about how I'm going to work harder this year?

Yeah moon_shine, I'm going to resit a few units in an attempt to bump up my grades :biggrin: but I've always wanted to take a gap year to travel (and I've already started to organise it) so I'm still going to defer my place xD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending