The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Aberystwyth Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by purple_starlight
The Optimistic Ram!!!
hehe! I wrote on this thread a few days ago saying about the conditional offer....and you had quoted me and then I was like "The Optimistic Ram!!!! :smile: I remember that user name....I'm sure we were having a conversation...whatever happened to it?" and then I realised I hadn't replied a couple of weeks ago. It was really busy then though. I had some problems with my ucas at college...but it all got sorted out quickly. I thought that I would have to wait FOREVER to hear anything from the universities but I heard back from them really quikly in the end! :biggrin:

I've decided Aber is the place for me too! Even though I havn't seen it in real life yet...only in prospectus's and on those Youtube videos where they talk about the place. I don't know why I am utterly drawn to it. I think it's possibly because it's so close to the sea! I looks like a lovely place! I think in comparison to Bangor, although they ae both relatively small towns, Aber is the more exciting one. There's a castle too! It seems that there are more music fests and concerts aswell! I think my mind is made up.

It certainly sound like there's a great connection with Derby there! :biggrin: It's fate!
I really, really, really want to live in Alexandre Halls! The only thing that puts me off is the trek up the hill each day to the main buildings but I would love to be right next to the seafront! :biggrin: And guess what....the halls are on Victoria Terrace...and my name is Victoria! Destiny!! :biggrin:

"over and out purple_starlight" haha! :tongue:

Wow! Congratulations on your offer, like you - I recognised your username but couldn't really place it anywhere other than on this thread and I was too tired to flick back a few pages!! :frown:

The sea front accommodation is all basically the same so I wouldn't be too fussed about which one I was in if I were you. But then if you want the 'luxury' or 'burden' of a en suite so be it. :smile: I must warn you though, in the sea front residences that looked round there weren't too many bedrooms on the front of the building over looking the sea front. Most were on the back overlooking a carpark/commercial vents/bins etc, so don't get your hopes up too much for that 'all important' sea view. I stayed overnight for the open day I went to in a Cwrt Mawr flat, on the top floor. The flat had a lovely sea view from the kitchen. I was told that quite a number of the main campus halls have sea views one way or another. I will be applying for the Cwrt Mawr halls with Trefloyne closely behind. I don't want to walk up Penglais Hill everyday!

If you love Aber without going to look around the place you will love it even more (hopefully) when you see it in the flesh. I love the town with the old quaint shops and the beach obviously!! Since I'm football mad (unfortunately some say) I've enquired about possibles things I can do with Aber's football club. Everyone seems so helpful and welcoming I am 100% sur that this is the place for me. It's destiny like you say!!! :biggrin:

Even though Bangor may be classed as a town I found it much much bigger than Aber is. The Aber locals also seem more welcoming to the 'foreign' people who come and invade their town every year.

Looking back at everyone's offer dates it seems that Aber have been quite quick in replying to applicants. That's only for the best I reckon. :smile:

"Transmission over Ma'am!" :tongue:
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Original post by The Optimistic Ram
Wow! Congratulations on your offer, like you - I recognised your username but couldn't really place it anywhere other than on this thread and I was too tired to flick back a few pages!! :frown:

The sea front accommodation is all basically the same so I wouldn't be too fussed about which one I was in if I were you. But then if you want the 'luxury' or 'burden' of a en suite so be it. :smile: I must warn you though, in the sea front residences that looked round there weren't too many bedrooms on the front of the building over looking the sea front. Most were on the back overlooking a carpark/commercial vents/bins etc, so don't get your hopes up too much for that 'all important' sea view. I stayed overnight for the open day I went to in a Cwrt Mawr flat, on the top floor. The flat had a lovely sea view from the kitchen. I was told that quite a number of the main campus halls have sea views one way or another. I will be applying for the Cwrt Mawr halls with Trefloyne closely behind. I don't want to walk up Penglais Hill everyday!

If you love Aber without going to look around the place you will love it even more (hopefully) when you see it in the flesh. I love the town with the old quaint shops and the beach obviously!! Since I'm football mad (unfortunately some say) I've enquired about possibles things I can do with Aber's football club. Everyone seems so helpful and welcoming I am 100% sur that this is the place for me. It's destiny like you say!!! :biggrin:

Even though Bangor may be classed as a town I found it much much bigger than Aber is. The Aber locals also seem more welcoming to the 'foreign' people who come and invade their town every year.

Looking back at everyone's offer dates it seems that Aber have been quite quick in replying to applicants. That's only for the best I reckon. :smile:

"Transmission over Ma'am!" :tongue:

ahh...I didn't know that. I might have a closer look at some of the other halls. I'm not too worried about having a sea view, but I just liked the idea of being incredibly close to the sea and being able to just step out the door and see the sea on the doorstep.

Yeah! It's a lovely sea-side town! :biggrin:
I see! haha! I bet if Aber went up against Derby you'd be in an awkward position! :biggrin:
I'd love to join a band or something in Aber. If I don't join a band I'll do something musical of my own. It seems ike there's a better music scene at Aber in comparison to Bangor.

''over and out duuude!'' :tongue:
I'm kinda put off by Aberystwyth a wee bit now. Even though it was my 5th choice uni I'm just wondering how it's possible to even get a part time job in such a tiny little town as I do plan to work sometime during uni. I just realized also how isolated the town really looked.
Got an Acknowledgement yesterday...And now i wait... :crazy:
Reply 184
Original post by ifstatement
I'm kinda put off by Aberystwyth a wee bit now. Even though it was my 5th choice uni I'm just wondering how it's possible to even get a part time job in such a tiny little town as I do plan to work sometime during uni. I just realized also how isolated the town really looked.

You'd be surprised how many jobs there are actually in Aber. There are over 50 establishments that sell alcohol and most of them are looking for bar staff. Plus it is surprisingly well equipped for a small town, with a fair few high street brands scattered around. A fair few of those will always be open to uni students looking for a few hours work.
Original post by ifstatement

But in theory once you go there there'll be a year of uni students leaving, hopefully opening up vaccancies :smile: but i know what you mean, i'd really like a job when im there :smile:
Original post by ysgwrn
Conditional for English lit and creative writing.

Anyone know if we have to reply to the offer before applying for the scholarship or do you wait for the results in March? Bit concerned that waiting will mean being way down the list for accommodation. Seem to remember reading somewhere rooms were allocated in the basis of how quick you replied to something???

I've got a conditional for English lit with creative writing too!

I'm also in the same boat as you.....I'm not sure how to go about the scholarship thing/ applying and which order to do it in. I don't want to get left behind with accommodation and everything.
I want to put Aber as my firm choice even though I havn't been to an open day. I went to Bangor and I loved it there....but for some reason I'm drawn to Aber! There's something about it that makes me feel happy and I think that it's where I should go. I probably should stick to my gut feeling. :biggrin:
At the same time, I might get the chance to see Aber ''in the flesh'' in springtime. I'm worried that if I get there and hate it, I wont be able to change my firm choice easily.
I don't think that I will ever hate it though. :smile:

Have you been to the open day?
Which halls do you prefer?
Original post by StefanieLouise
I've dropped out of uni this year as it was the wrong course for me and blah blah... Anyway, I have ABC and I'm seriously considering Aber as one of my main choices for 2012 to study English/possibly English and Creative Writing.

Is anyone else applying for either of those courses and if so, where else have you applied? I'm having serious trouble finding universities that offer English around the ABC/BBB level. DO NOT suggest Aberdeen as I applied there last year when I was predicted AAC and I was rejected, so I know I wouldn't get in this year. I even had some universities comment on how good my personal statement was too, so I know it's down to my grades. Anyway, so yes - anyone know what the English course/department is like at Aberystwyth and where is everyone else applying?

I've applied for English and creative writing at Aber, Bangor, Glyndwr, Glamorgan and Bath Spa....although I know that for one of the uni's I applied to the course was just english and not creative writing....ermm...I can't remember which one it was.
I really feel that Aber is the place for me. I havn't seen it on an open day yet, but I'm pretty sure if I did it would only confirm what I already know inside :biggrin:
Reply 188
Just been given an offer for Spanish and Marketing for 280 points!!
Reply 189
I've got a conditional for English lit with creative writing too!

I'm also in the same boat as you.....I'm not sure how to go about the scholarship thing/ applying and which order to do it in. I don't want to get left behind with accommodation and everything.
I want to put Aber as my firm choice even though I havn't been to an open day. I went to Bangor and I loved it there....but for some reason I'm drawn to Aber! There's something about it that makes me feel happy and I think that it's where I should go. I probably should stick to my gut feeling. :biggrin:
At the same time, I might get the chance to see Aber ''in the flesh'' in springtime. I'm worried that if I get there and hate it, I wont be able to change my firm choice easily.
I don't think that I will ever hate it though. :smile:

Have you been to the open day?
Which halls do you prefer?

Went to open days at Bangor and Aber - sending in the scholarship forms to both this week. Didn't see accommodation at either, will look at both on the applicant days
ahh...I didn't know that. I might have a closer look at some of the other halls. I'm not too worried about having a sea view.
Penglais Hill will become your nemesis!! Sea view wise, like I said there are quite a few flats/houses with sea views. For me, having the 'luxury' of the sea front would be good but also annoying as you'd be away from all of the 'action' at the uni buildings but then I guess you'll form your own 'sea front union'....

I see! haha! I bet if Aber went up against Derby you'd be in an awkward position! :biggrin:

My first love is Derby so it wouldn't be that awkward!! But then again if I'm working for Aber FC :s If Derby play Aber in a friendly any time in the next 3/4 years you'll know who has set it up. :smile:

''can't think of another dudey ending....'' :frown:

Original post by pixelweb
Just been given an offer for Spanish and Marketing for 280 points!!

Congratulations!!!! I may see you in the visiting day if you're visiting the Marketing peeps. I'm going on the 3rd March. (And yes I'm missing another Derby match, this is killing me but I guess training for the 3 years without Derby!!!!! :frown: )
Reply 191
Original post by The Optimistic Ram

Congratulations!!!! I may see you in the visiting day if you're visiting the Marketing peeps. I'm going on the 3rd March. (And yes I'm missing another Derby match, this is killing me but I guess training for the 3 years without Derby!!!!! :frown: )

Hahaha thanks! I will do I think, 3rd of March is when I've said I'll be going down! Wohoo! Hahah, that and the 15th February for the Spanish major of my degree!

Awh that's a shame! Yeah, three years of no Derby is going to be hard on you I see! :P
got an offer last night at 11pm! 280 points, BB maths and physics for Physics with Planetary & Space Physics :biggrin: :biggrin:
Got my Welcome Pack through the other day ... Aberystwyth looks a lovely place ^^

Stupid question, but how is it pronounced? Is it AIB-ery-stwyth or ABB-ery-stwyth? :tongue:
Original post by Jabberwox
Got my Welcome Pack through the other day ... Aberystwyth looks a lovely place ^^

Stupid question, but how is it pronounced? Is it AIB-ery-stwyth or ABB-ery-stwyth? :tongue:

Abba-riss-with is how I say it and how others I know pronounce it. I could be wrong though as saying Vitanova's version sounds similar but slightly different. Argh!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 195
Original post by Jabberwox

"Ab-er-ust-with" is how it's said.
Original post by Vitanova

Are you sure?

I thought it was 'Abba-riss-with' too :s-smilie:
Reply 197
Original post by Vitanova

It sounds right, apart from the 'ust', it's pronounced like an 'ist'

Original post by Aek-94
Are you sure?

I thought it was 'Abba-riss-with' too :s-smilie:

That's a closer pronunciation, but it also depends on where in Wales you come from. I don't roll the R, but a Welsh-speaker would :smile:

Here you go: http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/whatsinaname/sites/howdoisay/
Click on Aberystwyth. The BBC pronunciation sounds a bit too Welsh for me as an English speaker, but there you go :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 198
THIS website has both the Welsh and English pronunciations. They vary slightly. I tend to say "Ab-er-ust-with" because that's just what I'm used to hear, but whether you pronounce the sound in the middle as "us" or "iss", no-one bats an eyelid either way. Both correct.:smile:

Or just call it 'Aber' and be done with it! :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 199
Original post by Dusty12
THIS website has both the Welsh and English pronunciations. They vary slightly. I tend to say "Ab-er-ust-with" because that's just what I'm used to hear, but whether you pronounce the sound in the middle as "us" or "iss", no-one bats an eyelid either way. Both correct.:smile:

Yeah, I pronounce it more like the English lady (with a not so English accent, but still) :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest