Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Do you think it's right to hit your kids?

Announcements Posted on
  • View Poll Results: Do you think it's right to hit your kids?
    Of course!
    25.00%
    Only as a last resort
    43.27%
    Never.
    31.73%

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    At the point when you start routinely hitting your children, an interesting fact should become crystal clear to you - it is conclusively proven that you have utterly failed at parenting (and possibly other aspects of life as well) and your sterilisation would have been an invaluable favour to today's society. End of story.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    :no:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by An Aspiring Guy)
    Some may call it 'child abuse' whilst others feel physical discipline is a necessary measure. What do you think? If your kid was acting up would you give him/her a slap on the side of the head or are you averse to this type of discipline?

My parents would hit me for misbehaving... I usually got the belt or the back-hander... [well that's African parents for you] But those days are over! Nowadays they'd have to chase & catch me first before they exact such a punishment...

I personally didn't like being battered but if my little sh*ts misbehave they gonna get it hard I got no patience -.-
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raving_Hippy)
    They shouldn't be beaten up or abused. But I think children should be sent to their room and given a smacked bum if they really misbehave.
    There toys are in their rooms though. Of course when I was a kid,I knew not to play with my toys otherwise I would be hit if sent to my room.
    • 52 followers

ReputationRep:
    Respect for parents is the best thing, no matter how much you hit them, if you don't respect them then its all worth nothing whatsoever.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    YES YES YES

If they implmented this in bloody supernanny the parents would be alot happier! Obviously with reasonable force.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    There's a distinct line between hitting for discipline and abusing a child. I for one agree with hitting to instill discipline and would embark upon using it when I have a child of my own.

But there's a problem law makers have; How can you tell reasonable force was applied by a parent who may have smacked a child in order at a force to simply instill discipline but unfortunately in the process broke one of their child's bone in the process. In this instance how do law enforcers then distinguish between child abusers and 'normal parents'.

So in essence for the benefit of all parents the government have had to make a stern stance upon banning the hitting of children.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ooh used to dread the ol' slap to the backs of the legs
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    I'm all for a "good job, buddy!" but if you praise them "insanely" for every single thing then they'll grow into an adult with a massive entitlement complex who won't ever be satisfied with themselves without the approval of others.
    Good Point. But I still don't think parents praise there kids enough.

I take back the 'insanely'. Just more often.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm sick of this poisonous liberal garbage which says smacking children is 'abuse' or 'violent'. A measured smack across the arse, arm or legs is neither abusive or violent. I also strongly reject the notion that people smaked as children only know how to deal with conflict through violence. What? Well that would mean that the middle-aged (and older) generations would be out-of-control thugs because they experienced corporal-punishment not only at home, but in school too!! The mania on the left is unbelieveable. Nobody wants to see a parent loose it and beat a child to within an inch of its life. But by stigmitising or (God forbid) outlawing corporal-punishment you would only punish the parents who smack their children in a responsible fashion. The monsters who beat children black-and-blue will persist.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    A little slap on the bum/wrist or w.e is fine...but not using your fists or weapons...
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    I still can't stand being chased up the stairs because it reminds me of my dad chasing me to whack me on the bum over 15 years ago

This probably varies from person to person, but I'm not one of those people who gets into fights, slaps people, or really uses physical force in any way, and I tend to take a measured approach to life, therefore if my child was misbehaving I would try to talk them through what they'd done wrong.

Fear of being smacked didn't prevent me from doing anything, it just made me really, really sneaky, and when my parents did catch me doing anything I shouldn't be, it led to absolutely massive rows and me feeling completely miserable.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strawberry)
    well, the question is a little ambiguous (at first). Hit as in discipline or hit as in abusive?
    I was beaten as a child as discipline, and I advocate it. I do not, however, advocate beating your kids for no reason or to the point they go to the ER ... because that is abuse.
    +ve rep - I totally agree.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tibbles209)
    Thanks for trying to help I think I'll be okay without counselling, it doesn't affect my day to day life anymore. I am good at not thinking about it, or distracting myself if I do find it starting to creep into my head. Besides, I feel as if anyone I spoke to about it would just say I was being stupid. It was a legal degree of violence they used which means people would generally consider it fine and would think I was being stupid for struggling to cope so badly.
    I see what you mean but the thing is it didbadly affect you, so it counts as something someone could listen to. And no, you are not stupid, it's not your fault, don't believe that or let anyone make you believe that. It affected you and you don't need to be made to feel stupid, in fact I commend you for making it through.

Anyway it's good you've found a coping mechanism anyway. That's good. And at least your moving on and getting on with your life. Because tbh with you, these things can really eat you up inside out and it's not nice. It's happened to my friend and I'd hate to see anyone go through that again. That's why I'd rather not have kids than hit my kids/let them get away with anything and let them be spoiled. I'd rather my kids did not suffer the way my friend did, but I'd rather my kids grow up to become responsible, happy, educated, down-to-earth law abiding citizens. Beating up your kids isn't the way to that, but neither is spoiling them. My friend suffered so much :cry2: She was always trying to be a good daughter from a young age but she was always hurt. It's funny how not many people seem to say "I wasn't hit at all, but I turned out fine", because that's a possibility. And that's how I'd like to raise my kids.

• 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tenhornedbeast)
    At the point when you start routinely hitting your children, an interesting fact should become crystal clear to you - it is conclusively proven that you have utterly failed at parenting (and possibly other aspects of life as well) and your sterilisation would have been an invaluable favour to today's society. End of story.
    :yep: :yes: :yes:

Repped +1
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueray)
    Respect for parents is the best thing, no matter how much you hit them, if you don't respect them then its all worth nothing whatsoever.
    This :yep:
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philliipp)
    A little slap on the bum/wrist or w.e is fine...but not using your fists or weapons...
    true dat , i no what u mean , more than that is just abuse , who would do that!
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LurkerintheDark)
    by stigmitising or (God forbid) outlawing corporal-punishment you would only punish the parents who smack their children in a responsible fashion. The monsters who beat children black-and-blue will persist.

What's wrong with stigmatizing corporal punishment? It's barbaric. Maybe the older generations 'coped' with it. Doesn't make it right (it isn't) or moral (it isn't).

And of course, no matter what the governments do there will always be abusers. Sad but true, but unacceptable.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nut.)
    I still can't stand being chased up the stairs because it reminds me of my dad chasing me to whack me on the bum over 15 years ago

This probably varies from person to person, but I'm not one of those people who gets into fights, slaps people, or really uses physical force in any way, and I tend to take a measured approach to life, therefore if my child was misbehaving I would try to talk them through what they'd done wrong.

Fear of being smacked didn't prevent me from doing anything, it just made me really, really sneaky, and when my parents did catch me doing anything I shouldn't be, it led to absolutely massive rows and me feeling completely miserable.
    :console:

I know I keep on asking this with other people, but do you get on with your parents now?
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, i'd feel terrible....there are better ways to condition kids.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 28, 2011
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.