Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Do you think it's right to hit your kids?

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
  • View Poll Results: Do you think it's right to hit your kids?
    Of course!
    25.00%
    Only as a last resort
    43.27%
    Never.
    31.73%

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, and I get annoyed whenever people say it's only done to 'teach' the child not to do something again. My dad only ever hit me because he was pissed off with me and wanted something to hit, the 'lesson' crap was just an excuse. It's one of the reasons I don't like him as a person.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am never going to hit any children I hopefully have in the distant future. I think its easy to almost slip into a mode where hitting becomes the easy way to discipline a kid each time he/she gets too naughty. And then the kid begins to resent the parents. Well thats whats happened to me, I don't love my parents or get on with them at all.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by When will I know?)
    No, i'd feel terrible....there are better ways to condition kids.
    That's like me, i'd rather not have kids than hit them/let them run wild. You can raise a kid well without hitting them, it can be done I think. But then again what do I know, I'm not a parent.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was sparsely hit as a child, and I was a little ****.

One thing's for sure. If I have a kid and they misbehave, they're getting a slapped arse.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Turn on the news - look what happens when we don't...
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silly Goose)
    No, and I get annoyed whenever people say it's only done to 'teach' the child not to do something again. My dad only ever hit me because he was pissed off with me and wanted something to hit, the 'lesson' crap was just an excuse. It's one of the reasons I don't like him as a person.
    Some so called "lesson". I'd rather learn Maths or RS, not a lesson in someone hitting me. Also, if someone hit me I'd retaliate, so that wouldn't be good, but hey I give back what I take. If people can give it out but can't take it too bad. No one hits me and gets away with it. I guess that's their lesson lol.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luxray)
    I am never going to hit any children I hopefully have in the distant future. I think its easy to almost slip into a mode where hitting becomes the easy way to discipline a kid each time he/she gets too naughty. And then the kid begins to resent the parents. Well thats whats happened to me, I don't love my parents or get on with them at all.
    :console: Do you still talk to them, or do you keep your distance?

Poor you That's so bad. And I agree with what you are saying, that's why sometimes I think hitting all the time is just lazy parenting. If you are always hitting your kids then you are going wrong as a parent.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    There toys are in their rooms though. Of course when I was a kid,I knew not to play with my toys otherwise I would be hit if sent to my room.
    Why would you be hit for playing with your toys?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    There's a difference though.

My father beat me with a belt, that wasn't a lesson. I would never support that. My mom smacked me if I was really bad, I think that's reasonable and trying to teach a lesson.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    No, legalising it under certain circumstances gives abusive parents enough wiggle room to get away with it, saying it was for a reason but it actually is just abuse. It needs to simply be completely outlawed.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    yes, I think it's fine. kids have been getting away with murder for too long and now look at the state the country is in. it's full of illiterate no-hopers whose parents didn't care enough to give them a good clip when they deserved it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If I ever have kids, I would consider smacking them if they overstepped the mark but I would make sure to explain why I was smacking them so that they'd learn their lesson and it wouldn't seem like I was advocating some senseless act. My parents did smack me on the odd occasion and it's done me no harm whatsoever, plus I've never been in trouble with the law or at school, etc.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SwingOnTheSpiral88)
    yes, I think it's fine. kids have been getting away with murder for too long and now look at the state the country is in. it's full of illiterate no-hopers whose parents didn't care enough to give them a good clip when they deserved it.
    You think hitting children round the head will fill them with hope and enable them to read?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I don't plan on having children, but if I do, it's a well known fact that positive reinforcement is better than aggressive behaviour when dealing with problems. Saying that, I can understand if someone would slap their child once every now and then - Kids do my head in, and I'm barely around them.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dee Leigh)
    What's wrong with stigmatizing corporal punishment? It's barbaric. Maybe the older generations 'coped' with it. Doesn't make it right (it isn't) or moral (it isn't).

And of course, no matter what the governments do there will always be abusers. Sad but true, but unacceptable.
    How is giving a child a smack on the arse as you send them upstairs 'barbaric'? Are you calling my parents out-of-control, barbaric thugs for slapping me as a child when I swore at one of them, for example? What do you mean 'coping' with corporal punishment? Children aren't supposed to enjoy it, that's why it's a punishment and a deterrent. So yes, if they misbehave they will have to 'cope' with a slap across the legs, in the same way they would have to 'cope' with the removal of their playstation, or whatever. Children aren't these fragile little cherubs who will collapse emotionally when smacked - most can be right little runts who frankly need the odd sharp slap on the bottom to steer them in the right direction. There is absolutely nothing immoral or barbaric about it, for God's sakes.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You think hitting children round the head will fill them with hope and enable them to read?
    nope. I think kids don't take school seriously because they have no punishment worth fearing. The only punishment that really carries any weight is hitting.
    At that age kids don't appreciate what a priceless thing an education really is, and they will just turn the classroom into lord of the flies if they get half a chance. I saw this throughout school. There is no discipline in our classrooms anymore, kids don't take learning seriously and grow up thinking there isn't any consequence to their actions because they can now get away with whatever they want at school. Teachers are powerless and plenty of kids know their parents won't do anything to punish them if they get a phonecall from the school.
    It produces the criminals and eternal dole-scroungers we have so much of today.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    my parents used to smack me...i used to be really bad when i was a kid, apparently. theyve told me that they were reluctant to smack me as a kid coz i was their first and all the anxiety about metal scarring and stuff, but i used to have terrible tantrums where i used to hold my breath till i passed out (i nearly passed out when i heard this coz i laughed so much) and the only way they could stop it was if they smacked me and id be so shocked that id breathe again - lol! so yes, i agree with smacking children when they are naughty. they do it im many countries, and many countries are faring much better than us regarding the teenage generation
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SwingOnTheSpiral88)
    nope. I think kids don't take school seriously because they have no punishment worth fearing. The only punishment that really carries any weight is hitting.
    At that age kids don't appreciate what a priceless thing an education really is, and they will just turn the classroom into lord of the flies if they get half a chance. I saw this throughout school. There is no discipline in our classrooms anymore, kids don't take learning seriously and grow up thinking there isn't any consequence to their actions because they can now get away with whatever they want at school. Teachers are powerless and plenty of kids know their parents won't do anything to punish them if they get a phonecall from the school.
    It produces the criminals and eternal dole-scroungers we have so much of today.
    Do you have any proof that students value education less now than they did back when corporal punishment was allowed? Because from the accounts I've heard this 'golden age', where everyone respected teachers because of the cane, never existed.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    If kids push the boundaries, and really misbehave, after enough warning for them to have had a good chance to change their behaviour, I'll smack them on the hand if they're really small and on the bum when they're a bit older. Never around the head, never hard enough to cause real damage - IMO it should only be used to shock the child into changing its behaviour, never to cause pain or out of the parent's frustration -, and never for tiny little things that irritate me - only if they do something naughty that they need to be shocked out of, and no other punishment is working.

I do advocate smacking as a form of discipline, in moderation and only when necessary of course. I was smacked as a child in the same way that I noted above, and I've never had any complaints about bad behaviour.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Watch Super Nanny

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 28, 2011
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.