The Student Room Group

Contraceptive Patch MiniFaq

Hi Everyone,

It just struck me last night how many of my friends have been frustrated with trying different pills all the time recently, I always tell them to try the patch but most people haven't heard of it - including some GP's, thought I'd post a little about it because it's helped me a heck of a lot.

Essentially it's like a nicotine patch, you stick it on your body (very sticky patch - hurts a bit to pull off when you need to change it but it's ok) somewhere on your torso/thighs/top of arms wherever and leave it on for a week, it works the same as the pill in that you change your patch once a week (on the same day) for three weeks and then have a week off for your period.

It's essentially exactly the same hormones as the piil but released at a constant rate which means you don't get the fluctuations in hormone levels throughout the day like you do on the tablets. I'm extremely sensitive to hormones and have incredibly painful periods, I've been on about 8 different pills before my ex-boyfriend's GP suggested that I try the patch, my GP at the time didn't know about it, and the GP's when I went to uni were still unsure about it and I know that it's not one of the main ones they advertise (think it's probably because it's quite expensive for the NHS to buy in comparison to pills). But yea - if you're having problems with various kinds of pills ask your GP for it.

There are limitations - like you can't have a BMI of over 29/30 I think but apart from that I'd highly recommend it.
Reply 1
Hi!

I've recently started to use the contraceptive patch - I'm assuming you've been on it for a while?

I have a question about the patch (and I'd really rather not go back to my GP's. The woman I saw was awful, and seemed to judge me for wanting to go on the patch. She'd never heard of it, and kept on telling me to go back on the pill - which I stopped because I just couldn't keep on taking them at the exact same time every day. She also didn't know about the patch, and had to look it up).

Anyway, the edges keep on coming loose - or rather, unsticky. I just want to know if this is normal? I'd imagine it is, as they're like extra-sticky plasters, and obviously the edges will become loose as clothing sticks to it slightly.

Can I become pregnant because the edges are non-sticky? The GP I saw said that if the whole patch wasn't stuck down, it releases less hormones or whatever is the birth control side of it, and so there could be a chance of this happening.

I always use condoms with my bf, and the patch is more of a back-up in case something goes wrong with the condom.... but I'd rather not have the back-up fail, either.

Any info you can give would be much appreciated. It really is just the sides that are unsticky. The rest of it is fine.

Thanks
Reply 2
I've been on the patch for about 2 years now, and would never go back (Although I can't take pills anyway so....)

LauraW, technically patches are more expensive than pills for the NHS, so some GPs get a bit mardy. But if it's the right choice for you, you shouldn't let them put you off it.

The edges shouldn't really come loose- try placing it on an area of skin that's less likely to catch or crease the patch? Where are you sticking it at the moment?

How much of the edges are off? A milimetre wouldn't hurt, I personally doubt, but more than that might.
My ex gf was on it to control her periods... she was fine on it but struggled to get hold of it sometimes.
Reply 4
Original post by Rainchild
I've been on the patch for about 2 years now, and would never go back (Although I can't take pills anyway so....)

LauraW, technically patches are more expensive than pills for the NHS, so some GPs get a bit mardy. But if it's the right choice for you, you shouldn't let them put you off it.

The edges shouldn't really come loose- try placing it on an area of skin that's less likely to catch or crease the patch? Where are you sticking it at the moment?

How much of the edges are off? A milimetre wouldn't hurt, I personally doubt, but more than that might.

I'd say that about 0/5centimetres are off at the moment. It's currently on the right side of my stomach area.

I tried to put it on the top of my back, but it was the first one I tried to put on, and well, let's just say I'm not bending enough to pull the non-sticky parts off because you have to reach around... I suppose practice should allow me to do it, though.
Reply 5
Original post by LauraW
I'd say that about 0/5centimetres are off at the moment. It's currently on the right side of my stomach area.

I tried to put it on the top of my back, but it was the first one I tried to put on, and well, let's just say I'm not bending enough to pull the non-sticky parts off because you have to reach around... I suppose practice should allow me to do it, though.

Well I don't want to say for sure, as I'm not a doctor, but it doesn't sound too bad.

I found it difficult to have the patch on my stomach area or my back, because it would crease a lot and come off, so I personally put it on my arm (if it's cold and I'll wear long sleeved tops to cover it. Not ashamed, but tired of continuously explaining it), or on one side of my hip (but in a place where it doesn't crinkle too much when you move your leg).

Once I started placing it there, no more patch peeling for me :smile: So maybe that'd help you out?
Reply 6
Well I don't want to say for sure, as I'm not a doctor, but it doesn't sound too bad.

I found it difficult to have the patch on my stomach area or my back, because it would crease a lot and come off, so I personally put it on my arm (if it's cold and I'll wear long sleeved tops to cover it. Not ashamed, but tired of continuously explaining it), or on one side of my hip (but in a place where it doesn't crinkle too much when you move your leg).

Once I started placing it there, no more patch peeling for me :smile: So maybe that'd help you out?

On your hip? That'd more than likely crease for me, Mrs Wide Hips :P I've had it on my shoulder this week, only just started to crease slightly (two days from switching). I'll try it on my other shoulder, because I normally rest on the shoulder I've got the patch on now when in bed.

But yeah, will definately be using my arms in the future. It's started to get cold now, thankfully, so hopefully no one asks questions.

Can you place it on your thigh? Like, way above the knee, just below the underwear? I know you can place it on your bum (will definately not be doing that, though), and can't remember the other places you can use it.

Thanks for any advice you can give me :smile:
Reply 7
Good for you, Snem!
If they won't put you on the Yasmin pills, definately ask about the patch.
Nothing wrong with testing it for a few months, at least.
Reply 8
Original post by LauraW
On your hip? That'd more than likely crease for me, Mrs Wide Hips :P I've had it on my shoulder this week, only just started to crease slightly (two days from switching). I'll try it on my other shoulder, because I normally rest on the shoulder I've got the patch on now when in bed.

But yeah, will definately be using my arms in the future. It's started to get cold now, thankfully, so hopefully no one asks questions.

Can you place it on your thigh? Like, way above the knee, just below the underwear? I know you can place it on your bum (will definately not be doing that, though), and can't remember the other places you can use it.

Thanks for any advice you can give me :smile:

Haha, yeah, that's understandable :P Glad to hear it's working well on your arm though! :smile: I think you -can- put it on your thigh, but if you wear jeans a lot, it might rub against it continously and cause skin irritation.
Reply 9
Haha, yeah, that's understandable :P Glad to hear it's working well on your arm though! :smile: I think you -can- put it on your thigh, but if you wear jeans a lot, it might rub against it continously and cause skin irritation.

Ah, good point. Put the new patch on today on my other shoulder (I realised that I wear short-sleeved tops quite a lot - both in the house and outside), so I think I'll stick to wearing the patch on my arm when it gets really cold :P

Thanks to everyone for the advice.
hi, i currently have the implant but it is due to come out in december and i am thinking about trying a different method of contraception and am looking into the patch. i am useless with pills which is why i chose the implant in the first place so changing something weekly would be better for me.

the only problem i have with the patch is with the implant i know it is in my own and if i took pills i would know ive swallowed them so i would feel safe in that knowledge whereas i think if i stuck the patch on id be worrying that it stuck down properly and its going to be working and stuff. so yea does anyone have any advice or anything lol?
Reply 11
Original post by lauraaaa.xo
hi, i currently have the implant but it is due to come out in december and i am thinking about trying a different method of contraception and am looking into the patch. i am useless with pills which is why i chose the implant in the first place so changing something weekly would be better for me.

the only problem i have with the patch is with the implant i know it is in my own and if i took pills i would know ive swallowed them so i would feel safe in that knowledge whereas i think if i stuck the patch on id be worrying that it stuck down properly and its going to be working and stuff. so yea does anyone have any advice or anything lol?

My main advice: always have alternative contraception (i.e, a condom)...

To know that you've put the patch on, in mine, there's stickers with "Week one" "week two" and "week three" on them that you can put in a diary or on a calender etc. I also have an alarm set for it on my phone, so as soon as that goes off, I switch patches, which helps a lot.

If you do decide to use the patch, then I'd also recommend putting it on a place on your skin that doesn't crease when you move; mainly, the tops of your arms. I've found the patch stays on there much longer (and is much easier to apply and take off, too, as opposed to your shoulder blades, lol!)
i flipping love the patch. made my boobs bigger, easy to remember, easy to hide. just perfect!! bye bye pill.
(hate pulling it off, having a bath works...)
Reply 13
I HATED the patch, made me incredibly ill :frown: I now have the implant and its much better!
Original post by sheepy18
I HATED the patch, made me incredibly ill :frown: I now have the implant and its much better!

It's different for everyone, it's what your body responds best to... I just wanted to let people know about it as it's really rare that GP's prescribe it without asking them first, I saw a GP at a walk in centre a few days ago who hadn't ever heard of the contraceptive patch....

Quick Reply

Latest