The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

2012 language applicants?

Anybody applying to leeds next year?! for languages? or German in particular?! :tongue:
Reply 1
I'm applying for German!! :smile: but not at Leeds... haha
what unis are you applying to ?
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
haha ok, well I'm applying for German single honours at Leeds
Then I'm applying for German and Business at Hull, Chester and MMU

Really need another uni for just german single honours, was looking at Reading but now the entry requirements have gone up (although I still meet them) it would be too risky! what about you? :smile:
Reply 3
I've just started at Leeds a few weeks ago doing English and German - it's an amazing course and I'd recommend it to anyone :smile: I know my German will be incredible by the time I've finished! If you need any information on the course etc feel free to ask me :smile: x
Reply 4
Original post by HappyHele93
I've just started at Leeds a few weeks ago doing English and German - it's an amazing course and I'd recommend it to anyone :smile: I know my German will be incredible by the time I've finished! If you need any information on the course etc feel free to ask me :smile: x

ahh cool! I don't know if i'll get an offer at leeds im just risking it because i really want to go there!!! (I meet the entry requirements, just but my GCSEs aren't the best!

What are the language learning facilities like?! :biggrin:

thanks
Reply 5
Original post by JakeE10
ahh cool! I don't know if i'll get an offer at leeds im just risking it because i really want to go there!!! (I meet the entry requirements, just but my GCSEs aren't the best!

What are the language learning facilities like?! :biggrin:

thanks

I'm sure you'll be fine! Also I know of at least one person in my year who missed the grades but was still let in, so they are willing to adapt for you :smile:

The language learning facs are really good - there's a massive language learning centre full of CDs and books and internet sites (anything you want really!) plus a lot of the 1st year course is based on getting everyone up to the same standards in terms of grammar/essay writing etc. And they give you so many chances to do extra sessions to improve your German (like essay writing or translation workshops).

Plus you'll get a tutor in the German department who you can ask at any time if you want some help.

Hope that helps
x
Reply 6
Original post by HappyHele93
I'm sure you'll be fine! Also I know of at least one person in my year who missed the grades but was still let in, so they are willing to adapt for you :smile:

The language learning facs are really good - there's a massive language learning centre full of CDs and books and internet sites (anything you want really!) plus a lot of the 1st year course is based on getting everyone up to the same standards in terms of grammar/essay writing etc. And they give you so many chances to do extra sessions to improve your German (like essay writing or translation workshops).

Plus you'll get a tutor in the German department who you can ask at any time if you want some help.

Hope that helps
x

I hope so! Hoping that i'll be able to make it my firm.
How much did they miss the offer by? just 1 grade?

Wow, sounds great!! are you studying english and german equally? or is it a major in 1 subject minor in the other?!

Reply 7
Original post by JakeE10
I hope so! Hoping that i'll be able to make it my firm.
How much did they miss the offer by? just 1 grade?

Wow, sounds great!! are you studying english and german equally? or is it a major in 1 subject minor in the other?!

I think they had to get ABB and they got BBB, so not a major miss but they were so happy that Leeds let them in anyway. I study both of them equally this year, but I think next year I can do 60:40 if I want to, and of course the 3rd year is my year abroad so I just do German in that year. I'm also doing beginners French, which is another bonus, as they have beginners/intermediate/advanced extra credits you can do in pretty much any language. I know a lot of my fellow Germanists are doing beginners Italian or Spanish, for example ... x

Quick Reply

Latest