The Student Room Group

RAF Sixth Form Scholarship

Hi, I want to apply for an RAF sixth form scholarship in hope it will improve my chances of joining the RAF (Pilot). I just have a few questions.. Do I have to be in the air cadets to be able to apply? I've currently been in the army cadets for about 3 years. What exactly does the scholarship offer? Where do I apply?

Thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Sorry to be harsh here, but I have some bad news.

At the moment, the RAF have more trained pilots than planes. They recently scrapped the Harrier upgrades and alot of planes were decommissioned.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article6544223.ece

So at the moment, becoming a pilot in the RAF is not going to happen. They expect to not be recruiting for another 4 years, by which time most of our current generation will be too old for the 17-21 window.

So, I would recommend aiming for either an Army Pilot position, a Navy pilot position, or seeking an alternative role. No offence meant, but the Pilot position is very, very oversubscribed. And at the moment, they don't even take the best, the position is closed.

The way the scholarship works is that you apply for the role, and they fund you whilst your at university/college, and pay you for hours you spend training. This means that without the role being open, you cannot seek sponsorship for a pilot position at the moment.
Reply 2
Original post by Hal E. Luya
The way the scholarship works is that you apply for the role, and they fund you whilst your at university/college, and pay you for hours you spend training. This means that without the role being open, you cannot seek sponsorship for a pilot position at the moment.

Not quite.

While they're not taking Pilots, they are still looking at people and giving out [very very few] scholarships. If you consider that someone looking at a 6th Form Schol will probably be yr 11 now, will do 6th form and will then look towards university, you're looking at them entering 5/6yrs down the line. By then, the RAF will look for Pilots.

You do not have to be in the Air Cadets to get the scholarship, but the conditions of the scholarship are that you then should join your local squadron. From a purely pedantic point of view, being in Air Cadets will get you more flying, so if you're not there already but are considering a flying career we've got to ask... why?
What does the schol offer? Aside from a job....?! Insight into RAF life, more of a support network, leadership and adventurous training expeditions... And money.
Apply.. go to the AFCO first, but also check the RAF Careers website.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Sorry to be harsh here, but I have some bad news.
So at the moment, becoming a pilot in the RAF is not going to happen. They expect to not be recruiting for another 4 years, by which time most of our current generation will be too old for the 17-21 window.

It's 17.5-25 link
They will be recruiting again and the op is only just starting 6th form so has plenty of time.
I can't answer any of the ops questions but would suggest going and having a chat at the AFCO and they'll be able to set you straight. I have no doubt that your time in the army cadets will give you a significant advantage when it comes to applying (in comparison to those with no cadet experience) .

jacet
(edited 12 years ago)
Apologies, when I applied it was 17.5 - 21 as I was going for the bursary.

A fair point about preparing scholarships, but take my word for it, they have about 100 pilots who were half way through the training who have been pushed into other roles. When you say very very few, your looking at one or two. I think it's worth considering the Army/Navy route, or another role in the RAF. I actually prefer the role I'm going into now (Intel Officer)
Reply 5
Apologies, when I applied it was 17.5 - 21 as I was going for the bursary.

A fair point about preparing scholarships, but take my word for it, they have about 100 pilots who were half way through the training who have been pushed into other roles. When you say very very few, your looking at one or two. I think it's worth considering the Army/Navy route, or another role in the RAF. I actually prefer the role I'm going into now (Intel Officer)

170 [out of 400 in training] were binned. I know, half of them were good friends and then I left too. FAA pilots are just as scarce on the ground. No FJ seats and helos are few and far between. The Army is a different system altogether and not really worth it.

Bold: really? American now, are you? That's not what we call them.
lol American, how rude.

We are on a forum here, it's easier than saying operations support intelligence.

Howcomes you left? What did you go into?

Oh and I have to know, what makes you say the army isn't worth it? :smile:
Reply 7
But seeing as IntO is the accepted, conventional, normal name and just what they use it makes it odd when someone who pertains to going into that role doesn't use it themselves. And speaking as a former one, I don't like it when people get it wrong, either.

Because of their system. You join the Army as an Officer and then see what regiment/corps takes you later, you might go and fly with the AAC, you might not. Or you go in and hope for NCO level and try to make the grade that way. Neither route offers you a career of flying.
I'm going into the role remember, crucial point there, spent the last year thinking I was going into a totally different one so take it easy :P

Makes sense about the army then, never even looked into the prospects. Do you know anything about the Navy worth mentioning?
Reply 9
I'm going into the role remember, crucial point there, spent the last year thinking I was going into a totally different one so take it easy :P

Makes sense about the army then, never even looked into the prospects. Do you know anything about the Navy worth mentioning?

Bit of research never hurts... :wink:

I'm assuming you mean in terms of Pilot recruitment..... They have no FJs, and won't do for a good few years, they do still have some helos, but not a huge amount and are well sorted for Pilots. Yes, they'll take some on, but it's a very small number. I'm lead to believe they've cut recruitment too.
Reply 10
Hi, thanks for all of the quick reply's I really do appreciate it. I should of mentioned in the first post but Ive just started year 11. If all go well and my predicted grades are right I'll have all of the qualifications to get in. I am also looking into the Navy, I thought for the Army Air Core you have to do another role for x years and then train as a pilot? Are the Navy and Army recruiting now then?
As Drewski elaborated, probably worth avoiding army. As far as I'm aware Navy haven't cut recruitment, but they do draw heavily on their corps for recruitment.

If you've just started Y11 it's possible that the role will be open to you. Just make sure you know that in the current climate it's beyond very hard. It might be easier to get into Oxbridge :smile:
Reply 12
As Drewski elaborated, probably worth avoiding army. As far as I'm aware Navy haven't cut recruitment, but they do draw heavily on their corps for recruitment.

If you've just started Y11 it's possible that the role will be open to you. Just make sure you know that in the current climate it's beyond very hard. It might be easier to get into Oxbridge :smile:

If it's theoretically possible, I can do it and I will do it.

Thanks for the reply :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Sljmaster
If it's theoretically possible, I can do it and I will do it.

Thanks for the reply :smile:

Urm, no. We're basing our theories on guesswork and current info. How that will pan out is anyone's guess - literally. Even the CAS won't know exactly what's happening with numbers. There's a fairly real chance that it won't be open for the foreseeable future, that more and more will be cut as we leave various warzones.

Come up with a plan B. And C.

I spoke to Careers about a month ago, and they estimated a 2 year wait for pilot recruitment. It's also a 24.5-25 year old cut off.

Ultimately, if you have any interest whatsoever in the military, speak to the relevant careers office. They will have great, up to date, and accurate advice. The way of applying has slightly changed... You ring up the hotline, and you sign your life away to a single role. No, really. If you want to be a pilot, you ring them up and tell them that. They don't have the availability for people who are fussy... They want the best candidates, and they want those who are certain about their career path.

But no, scholarships or bursaries will not be as readily available. Regiment Officers are always in demand though, so if you register your interest in that field (but as I say, once you register that interest, it is permanent) then you can look for a scholarship.

Speaking to the careers office would be my first step though. I had been given suggestions from my uncle (former Flt Lt) to apply for one role, and then hope to switch (E.G, apply as an engineer, or WepOp) and then transfer. Yet again, there's no really chance of that either... They want people who are certain of their career. Transfers are possible, but saying 'no' to your application is almost guaranteed.

You could try volunteering at your local flying club (some are tri-service, and run on RAF fields) and also trying to meet the local University Air Squadrons (if they're also based there) just to get to know people. From there, go to university (the RAF want the best they can get, so get qualified... Both academically, and as a strong character) and try to get on the UAS scheme.
(edited 12 years ago)
Scholarships
There is no harm in inquiring about applications for scholarships - if you apply you have a small chance of gaining a scholarship, if you don't you have none. Welbeck: if considering applying for Welbeck (Defence 6th form) then visit your AFCO asap - applications need to be in soon. 6th Form scholarship: I think (?) they only provide a scholarship for year 13 (I could be wrong), but I am right that if providing 6th form scholarships the deadline is soon (before Welbeck?). Whichever you are looking into, I would visit your local AFCO within the next week.

Recruitment
People on here may give you ideas on current recruitment, but they are guesses. Not to say they are not from a valid source, but unless they are currently open (seen on the RAF website) there are no certainties. To give you an idea, my chosen branch was meant to open in February and I am still waiting. I have been given a few dates from AFCO, but the RAF recruitment keeps changing.

Registering interest
It is correct that you phone the hotline and register your interest. You can only register an interest for one branch. However, this is not permanent. If you register for Pilot and change your mind to Logistics or IntO you phone them and tell them you have changed your mind. Having spoken to my local AFCO and the careers service when changing my career choice I was told that it would not be held against you during the application process as long as you can justify why you are going for your chosen career (which is expected of you regardless of whether you have registered one interest or changed your mind). In the present climate it is likely more people will change their mind depending on what branches are opening - speaking to one officer they actually encouraged changing your mind if a branch you were interested in was listed as open on the careers site.
Original post by SillyEddy
I spoke to Careers about a month ago, and they estimated a 2 year wait for pilot recruitment. It's also a 24.5-25 year old cut off.

But no, scholarships or bursaries will not be as readily available. Regiment Officers are always in demand though, so if you register your interest in that field (but as I say, once you register that interest, it is permanent) then you can look for a scholarship.

Update, it has now been released to all careers offices that bursaries are offerred for the following conditions:

University level degrees

- Engineering
- Medical (Including dental)

Sixth form subjects

-Physics
-Sciences (Not Social)

(I'll update the list if any more are released for this)

Due to how popular Welbeck is becoming, sixth form scholarships are up for review entirely in the next couple months. Most likely they'll still be there, just impossible to get.

On the Pilot note, It's two years before they're going to bring the option to the table. Factor in another potential year for the process to start, and another year (More likely 9 months) before they contact you from that.... hence 4 years is the most cynical view. It is 17.5-25 though, I gots confused with the bursary offer at the time.

The whole you go for a role and that is your final answer seems to be pretty rigid, I'm told the system now literally sends you an email if you've registered for multiple options and you have to pick only one. If, for example, you click Pilot role, your not going to hear back until that role is available.
Reply 17
University level degrees

- Engineering
- Medical (Including dental)

Are you referring to branch, or to subject to be studied?

Ie, if you're aiming to be a Pilot or an IntO or an ATCO but are doing Engineering, can you still apply for a bursary, or is solely for prospective Engineer Officer?
Original post by Drewski
Are you referring to branch, or to subject to be studied?

Ie, if you're aiming to be a Pilot or an IntO or an ATCO but are doing Engineering, can you still apply for a bursary, or is solely for prospective Engineer Officer?

It's not role specific no

So yes, if your applying for IntO ( <------ See I'm learning :3 ) then you can apply for the bursary provided your doing these subjects. Weird a bit, but that's how it stands.

Edit: The quote for the reasoning behind this is 'These subjects bear enough relevance and ensure enough aptitude, either logistical or practical, etc etc'
No you don't have to be an air cadet but you would have more chance of being a pilot if you had flying experience in air cadets, and to apply for the scholarship you have to go on the RAF website and find out where

Quick Reply

Latest