The Student Room Group

Occupational Therapy in 2012

Helloo,
I've applied to study Occupational Therapy in 2012 and I have applied for Sheffield Hallam, York St John, Huddersfield and Cumbria (Lancaster campus). I also applied for Liverpool but they declined me due to 'no evidence of recent academic study' somehow.. (even though I did my a-levels in 2010 and then went onto do a year of a foundation degree in teaching but decided it wasnt for me so reapplying to do OT!)

But yeah (: anyone else applying to any of these unis for OT? And does anyone know which universities do interviews or not? :biggrin: xx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello :smile:
I've applied for OT at Liverpool, Sheffield Hallam, York St John, Northumbria and Cardiff.
That's strange that liverpool said there was no evidence of recent study :s maybe it was a mistake?
I don't know about the other 2 but Sheffield Hallam and York St John do interview, Liverpool doesn't.
x
Reply 2
I've applied to Coventry for OT...just waiting for my tutor to do my reference then fingers crossed....I have to get in this year!!!!
Reply 3
Original post by keh93
Hello :smile:
I've applied for OT at Liverpool, Sheffield Hallam, York St John, Northumbria and Cardiff.
That's strange that liverpool said there was no evidence of recent study :s maybe it was a mistake?
I don't know about the other 2 but Sheffield Hallam and York St John do interview, Liverpool doesn't.
x

i emailed liverpool about it and i got an email saying ucas had changed and liverpool changed to unconditional! super happy! good luck to you :3 we might be on the same course if you come liverpool xx
Reply 4
Original post by sarahp
I've applied to Coventry for OT...just waiting for my tutor to do my reference then fingers crossed....I have to get in this year!!!!

have you only applied there? ahh good luck :smile: xx
Reply 5
Original post by zoeclarex
have you only applied there? ahh good luck :smile: xx

Yes only applied to Coventry coz i'm a mature student (37) and can't move away! I've only got 1 chance AARRRGGHH.

Good luck with your applications and well done for getting an offer from Liverpool, you must be soooo excited!
Reply 6
Hi there, I'm applying to Cumbria (Lancaster) and possibly York as they are the only ones that will accept my vocational qualifications. I did want to apply to Salford but they are being really picky. I have all the entry requirements minus a science a level. Meh.
Reply 7
Original post by sarahp
Yes only applied to Coventry coz i'm a mature student (37) and can't move away! I've only got 1 chance AARRRGGHH.

Good luck with your applications and well done for getting an offer from Liverpool, you must be soooo excited!

ahh I see! good luck to you! i can't wait to move away haha :smile:
and thankyouu! i am rly rly excited ahahah but i dnt even think i can apply for accomodation or student finance till like april! x
Reply 8
Original post by boxfox
Hi there, I'm applying to Cumbria (Lancaster) and possibly York as they are the only ones that will accept my vocational qualifications. I did want to apply to Salford but they are being really picky. I have all the entry requirements minus a science a level. Meh.

ohh, im sure you'll be fine though :smile: cumbria&york were two of my choices too, apparently Yorks a beautiful place ahah and Ive heard Cumbria's pretty good.
good luck! :smile: xx
Reply 9
Ahh just sent my application off :smile: Have applied at Derby, Sheffield H, York St John and coventry. What work experience have you all got? x
Reply 10
Original post by Caston
Ahh just sent my application off :smile: Have applied at Derby, Sheffield H, York St John and coventry. What work experience have you all got? x

good luckk :smile:! andd ive had experience in a special educational needs school and just starting volunteering in a hospital too soon :smile: yoou? x
Reply 11
Good luck everyone if you have any questions about anything at Coventry Uni just contact the university or message us! Are you coming to any open days this year?

We'd love to see you!

Liah
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by zoeclarex
good luckk :smile:! andd ive had experience in a special educational needs school and just starting volunteering in a hospital too soon :smile: yoou? x

The same sort of thing a special needs school and then my local hospital. When do the interviews happen? x
Reply 13
Hi, I want to apply to do OT starting next summer but dont really have too much experience in the field. I do have some experience as a volunteer in mental health nursing, but no direct experience related to OT. So I'm wondering what experience everyone who's posted on this thread had before applying to universities.

zoeclarex..................what do you think you had that made you stand out of the crowd and get into liverpool with an unconditonal offer? loads of work experience? (Well done btw :smile:)

Thanks
Gareth
Reply 14
Original post by Caston
The same sort of thing a special needs school and then my local hospital. When do the interviews happen? x

aw cool :smile: um ive no idea, liverpool didnt intervieww so im not too sure. i reckon it could be around next month though? xx
Reply 15
Original post by gaz2612
Hi, I want to apply to do OT starting next summer but dont really have too much experience in the field. I do have some experience as a volunteer in mental health nursing, but no direct experience related to OT. So I'm wondering what experience everyone who's posted on this thread had before applying to universities.

zoeclarex..................what do you think you had that made you stand out of the crowd and get into liverpool with an unconditonal offer? loads of work experience? (Well done btw :smile:)

Thanks
Gareth

helloo :smile: i dont really have that much experience in the OT field myself.. ive done a fair bit in a special needs school and starting in a hospital soon too - but thats not OT specified either. I dont know really haha :smile: i rly took the time writing my personal statement, you have to sort of sell yourself to them if you like.

speak about how much the subject of OT appeals to you and explain what you know about it (only briefly at the start, eg say something like 'Occupational Therapy is something that has interested me because...' :smile: good luck and thanks :biggrin: xx
Reply 16
Hello!

Thanks for responding, I went to hospital to speak with an OT yesterday which was very helpfull and I can use this in my personal statement :smile: The only difficult-ish thing im foreseeing about being an OT is the 'inspiring' and giving 'confidence' to patients to e.g. wake up in the morning and do their daily tasks. I'm guessing we'd be trained to be enthusiastic etc with patients on the course?!
My sister studied occupational therapy first at Coventry uni and she hated it. She said the lecturer's werent helpful they were'nt friendly and she said although she liked the uni on open day she hated it when she started. She then transferred to do OT at Derby uni and loved it! :smile: really recommend Derby for Occupational Therapy :smile: Just an opinion though! Good luck everyone! :smile:
heya :smile: Im applying to derby! liked it too.

i have an interview at UEA as well but no oneelse has replied... i had a couple of days of work ex but quite a lot of non ot specific work ex in old peoples homes...they like to see you care about people in any way! :smile:

hope this helps xx
im applying to liverpool and YSJ too!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending