Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do you think of people who wear 'University of...' hoodies outside university?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't see the issue with wearing them, whoever you are and whether you go to the university in question or not :erm: I honestly don't care. It's a hoodie. Am I in the minority here?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chav Princess)
    1) Fresher who's really happy to be at their university, and wants the whole world to know (note: this excitement lasts 1 to 2 weeks maximum).

2) University snob who goes to a prestigious university and wants other students who might be around to know that they they go to a better university than them.

3) Student who goes to an ex-poly university and wants members of the public who aren't students to know that they actually go to university and thus are 'educated'.

4) Student who has forgotten to do that week's washing and only has their university hoodie lying around, and it's cold outside.

Thoughts?
    Why have you just specified ex-poly here? Surely this point could apply anywhere.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muffinz)
    I like it, I just hate when people wear the hoodies and they aren't actually attending that uni.

Tops you get from New Look which have random American unis on them disgust me.
    This. They make even less sense than 16 year-olds wearing t-shirts with 'Osaka '69' on them.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    i think its annoying when people at school wear fake t-shirts and jumpers from made up (and once real) american universities it must really annoy people who actually went there
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    I don't understand people who feel the need to wear "JACK" hoodies when their name isn't Jack*. That's a story for another day, though.

* And yes I know the real reason but it's still dumb.
    Perhaps.

I think Jack Wills do some alright stuff, but it's far too expensive.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    My sister bought me a Loughborough Nike Hoodie for christmas last year. (I've only just started college)

Its really warm, and its a great hoodie for wearing around the house, or under a coat as an extra layer, but I'd never wear it out in public, as thats just ridiculous when I don't even go to uni yet, let alone Loughborough.
    • 45 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why make such far-fetched assumptions about people? Conclusions I make when I see someone in a "University Of.." hoodie: They probably go to or have been to X University, They have worn a University hoodie on at least one occasion

Thinking about it, my personal opinion I think most students don't have an alterior motive to wearing it, they just wear it because they bought it and want to get use out of it/it's comfy.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What grinds my gears are all the " ------- 11 leavers " hoodies I see.
    • 45 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhiam)
    i think its annoying when people at school wear fake t-shirts and jumpers from made up (and once real) american universities it must really annoy people who actually went there
    I have a Yale Hoodie

I stole it off my boyfriend - His auntie bought it him and he refused to wear it because it was American.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robertlol)
    What grinds my gears are all the " ------- 11 leavers " hoodies I see.

I'd like one of those as a memento of college times but sadly there weren't even enough people in my year group to have a '11 Leavers' napkin, let alone a hoodie.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I only ever wear my uni hoodie for bed in the winter really. I never wear it any other time.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I love university clothing. Do UK universities have large websites like this?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think most people would agree that people who wear hoodies of universities they do not even go to is just ridiculous. UCLA as a prime example.
    • 37 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    5) Student who bought a society hoody and wants to actually get some use out of it instead of worrying people are going to assume I'm doing 1, 3 or 4. (Meee. )
    :lol: :hugs:

10. what about ppl who have to wear it as uniform (me :emo:)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, my university hoodie is a Gallifrey University hoody, so...
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't aware I was meant to be bothered. I think "Oh, they go to such-and-such a place, wonder what they're studying." Or if it's a uni I'm applying to then "Wonder if they're doing pharmacy?"
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Temeraire.lee)
    Well, my university hoodie is a Gallifrey University hoody, so...
    I love you. Words can't describe the affection I feel for this post. :lol: I wish I'd written it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Well it depends what uni they are at.

I would usually go home and look up their university's respective position in the league tables to determine what I think. If they go to a uni that was lower than mine then HA I judge them for wasting taxpayers money going to a second rate uni. If they go to one higher than mine then I hate them for being uni snobs.
    You didn't memorize the tables? :confused:
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    My mum wants me to buy her a Lancaster University hoodie, because she's proud of me.
    I wear my two (one uni and one college within the uni) because I am proud of my achievement getting into that uni and because I feel a sense of family within the college and within the uni.
    And because they're warm! *fetches hoodie and sits all snuggly and warm*
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Student who wants to be warm...?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: August 26, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered Chat threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.