The Student Room Group

Squash (As in the juice you add to water) in America

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mrnightcat
I'm in China too and feel your pain. Ever get the feeling that the Tropicana and Minute Maid here are basically water and squash-like juice anyway? They're sugar bombs and pack not a modicum of nutrition it seems. In the UK they taste a lot better, even if the fruit content is little (I'm not sure). In my two years here, not even once have I found 100% non-concentrate fruit juice in a supermarket. Everything from the cheapest to 'gourmet' glass bottles is water, sugar, and a little from concentrate.

What you can use here that slightly resembles an alternative are the 'fruit vinegar' juices. They are usually sold in glass bottles or cartons, taste like concentrated fruit juice and are quite acidic. I can imagine they suit being diluted into a squash-like drink. I can't vouch for whether or not they're healthy though.

Yeah... Minute maid is the closest thing I think (but is has pulp in it)

I should've brought a bottle out with me. I've tried to explain Squash to my Chinese friends and they look so confused and somewhat disgusted Lol. They don't understand the concept of putting water in concentrated fruit juice!
Reply 41
when i was on holiday in florida the walmart had a whole section of english food including robinsions squash and mcvitiies digestives, so it is there youve just got to keep on looking!
Reply 42
we often buy frozen containers of juice (look in the freezer section for cylindrical containers) and then we add water to it (in a jug) and keep that in the fridge. Lots of selection and very cheap!

Since that explanation may not make sense, here is a picture for you: http://www.welchs.com/images/ourproducts/frozen_family2.jpg
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Sharri5
If that is squash to brits, what do you call

that is a squash. Big difference in the a there! :P (but seriously)
Reply 44
no dilute pop in america im afraid. get the non fizzy stuff they sell at subway though. forgot its name :frown:
Reply 45
Original post by PotPon
no dilute pop in america im afraid. get the non fizzy stuff they sell at subway though. forgot its name :frown:

Fruitopia?
I'm disgusted in humanity. No squash in America, how barbaric!
Reply 47
I was shocked when I first got there as well to find out they didn't drink squash.

Anyone who puts the squash in first is an eejit. Clearly the correct method is to put as much water as you want to drink (controlling capacity), and then, in a separate action, add the squash until the drink is precisely the right colour (controlling strength).
If you do it backwards, then you are unable to isolate the separate adjustable elements and your ability to accurately control the quality of your glass of squash is dramatically reduced. Some people have no self respect.
Original post by py0alb
I was shocked when I first got there as well to find out they didn't drink squash.

Anyone who puts the squash in first is an eejit. Clearly the correct method is to put as much water as you want to drink (controlling capacity), and then, in a separate action, add the squash until the drink is precisely the right colour (controlling strength).
If you do it backwards, then you are unable to isolate the separate adjustable elements and your ability to accurately control the quality of your glass of squash is dramatically reduced. Some people have no self respect.

That is madness! If you add the squash after the water then it doesn't mix properly! :mad:
Reply 49
Your pour the squash into your cup first.

Then you add water.
Original post by Sharri5
If that is squash to brits, what do you call

That's a squash. The drink is squash.

I am absolutely flabbergasted at this thread! How do Americans live without squash? I thought it was pretty standard.
No squash? :lolwut:

Do they at least have Vimto?
Reply 52
Original post by -honeybee-

I am absolutely flabbergasted at this thread! How do Americans live without squash? I thought it was pretty standard.

Is that butternut squash?
Reply 53
Original post by lolololol
That is madness! If you add the squash after the water then it doesn't mix properly! :mad:

Of course it does. Why would it not? :confused:
I spent ages looking for squash last year in Walmart when I went to Florida, now I know why I couldnt find it. Dont get why they dont have it!
Original post by green chica
I think you mean soda. :wink:

No?
Original post by TRS-T

Im not sure... it doesn't look entirely like the ones we have here but they might be different in American. Idk.
Reply 57
This whole thread has left me flabbergasted.
Reply 58
Original post by -honeybee-

I still don't understand the point of squash. If you want water in your system, just drink it :confused:
Reply 59
Original post by TRS-T

Too lazy to check the source of the pic, but with my highly trained eye (jk) it looks like it.

Quick Reply

Latest