The Student Room Group

Oxbridge vs LSE vs Imperial vs UCL for Investment banking

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Marc Fiorano
Depends on the field.

For consultancy it's easily Oxbridge > everything else.
For IB there is still a difference between Oxbridge + LSE and Imperial, UCL, Warwick.
As a student at Imperial I can tell you that FO internships for its students are surprisingly lower than what people on this forum think.

For Hedge funds, Oxbridge + Imperial completely beats LSE and UCL. Mainly because the majority of HFs detest social science graduates.

In general though the uni name matters very little between the top 6 unis, the difference will come down to the individuals.

hmm - I know where you are coming from with regards to Hedge funds employing mathematical/physics/science based subjects - but I wouldn't fully agree with the comment.

Many hedge funds have strategist roles/research roles where an economics degree wouldn't count against you. After having meetings with some HF managers, they told me that what they like to see in an individual is a real understanding of an asset class, whether it be FX, equity, commodities whatever - that coupled with a strong degree and good personality can give you a good shot.

I would also like to add that Hedge funds are much different to IB's in the sense that the individual really has to go out of their way to get a foot in one. If you are looking for a HF role, networking is paramount. But as people have said on here it maybe better of working for a bit at an investment bank, building decent knowledge of an asset class then making the move if it is possible
Original post by Marc Fiorano
Depends on the field.

For consultancy it's easily Oxbridge > everything else.
For IB there is still a difference between Oxbridge + LSE and Imperial, UCL, Warwick.
As a student at Imperial I can tell you that FO internships for its students are surprisingly lower than what people on this forum think.

For Hedge funds, Oxbridge + Imperial completely beats LSE and UCL. Mainly because the majority of HFs detest social science graduates.

In general though the uni name matters very little between the top 6 unis, the difference will come down to the individuals.

Does this have anything to do with Imperial being a science college, so the amount of people applying for these positions is a lot lower? More people may be interested in careers in research or industries such as engineering and pharmaceuticals?
Reply 22
Original post by Sir KBS
This worries me as Warwick Engineering isn't ranked that highly but I was told if I get A*AAA+ and a 1st in Warwick-Civil Engineering that I'd be seen through the recritment process. Of course I've applied to other targets but am quite keen on warwick if rejected by Oxford.

What about UCL/ ICL; considered those (strong eng schools which are IB targets)?
LSE
Cambridge
ICL
Oxford
UCL.

That's what I've garnered anyway. They seem to love the scientists at Imperial, but just from personal experience, aren't exactly bumming Oxford so much. UCL is tbh slightly below the rest.
Oxbridge, LSE and Imperial are all pretty similar and would give you a great chance. As a percentage, more LSE grads probably end up in IB but that's because many people go there with the express desire to become bankers (see the video above). UCL would probably be slightly below them but not by far.

Source: worked in recruitment for an investment bank.
everyone here is retarded
Reply 26
Original post by twig
What about UCL/ ICL; considered those (strong eng schools which are IB targets)?

Applying to both
Reply 27
Original post by Straight up G
LSE
Cambridge
ICL
Oxford
UCL.

That's what I've garnered anyway. They seem to love the scientists at Imperial, but just from personal experience, aren't exactly bumming Oxford so much. UCL is tbh slightly below the rest.

Oxford arts grads tend to lead towards law/politics/dad's firm. And where is Warwick?
Reply 28
LSE
Reply 29
Just wondering but, where does Cass Business School and Kings College London fall into?

In one of the stickys or threads it shows KCL being ranked 7 although the post was made in 2007 so I'm assuming it's changed now?
Original post by Straight up G
LSE
Cambridge
ICL
Oxford
UCL.

Looks like you've never put a foot in an IB
Reply 31
Original post by Teenage Pirate

Without realizing you're someone and you're here thus insinuating you're retarded. Not the brightest thing to say now was it, especially considering you're making a point about cognitive ability.
Wow.
Given the graduates all have first class degrees.

Erm, for I.B.
Cambridge and Oxford Equal

THEN

It's a scruffle between LSE UCL and Imperial

LSE top as it gears their students for the financial world
followed by UCL and Imperial
Reply 33
LSE given the reputation and location but you can't go wrong with Oxbridge

And yes: 'applying' to HF's is fairly non existent. The path us usually:

Good uni->analyst @BB->maybe masters or MBA->consulting/PE/HF

Or there about. However if fund managers and MDs LIKE you, things are much easier. Usually HF's that hire grads require a maths degree from a top 5 uni and an internship from a top 5 BB. Otherwise, wait till gaining experience somewhere else and try to roll in the right circles - i.e. after a year or two avoid going out too much with fellow analysts and try to get in the right company of senior executives. Easier said than done and obviously very expensive if you're going to bars with them. There are many strategies to get in.

+1

They certainly seem rediculously clueless/retarded.
Reply 35
Original post by fail@maths
+1

You’re a fail at maths and can’t spell ridiculous
Reply 36
Hi guys,
I love academia but I'm wanting to keep my options open for the future (in the sense of working in banking or consultancy). My full situation is here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1794753

Any ideas?

Thank you!
Original post by KingHomer
Hi guys,
I love academia but I'm wanting to keep my options open for the future (in the sense of working in banking or consultancy). My full situation is here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1794753

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Well the top unis for IB are Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, LSE, UCL, and Warwick; so if you get into COWI, then maybe look at LSE and UCL, cause they're both pretty good for maths.
Original post by fail@maths
+1

what's your guess, first years or A-levels?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 39
What would be a better place to do an undergrad at?

King's College or CASS?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending