The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

warwick-management

i went 2 the open day today.......and was pretty excited as i was quite sure warwick would b 1st choice, but still waiting 2 c bath. i saw warwick last summer and absolutely fell in love with it. however, i don't know wots gone wrong......i just didn't feel anything today. got bit depressed, the place was totally dead. last summer, there were so many ppl, very lively. now i've realised the bus fares r a rip off........everythings so far......i can't even walk 2 city to do shopping for example.
i'm just so confused now. can anyone reassure me that Warwick isn't really this bad?? wot about Bath?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
wonkey
i went 2 the open day today.......and was pretty excited as i was quite sure warwick would b 1st choice, but still waiting 2 c bath. i saw warwick last summer and absolutely fell in love with it. however, i don't know wots gone wrong......i just didn't feel anything today. got bit depressed, the place was totally dead. last summer, there were so many ppl, very lively. now i've realised the bus fares r a rip off........everythings so far......i can't even walk 2 city to do shopping for example.
i'm just so confused now. can anyone reassure me that Warwick isn't really this bad?? wot about Bath?

lol. That's funny, rip off bus fares! Anyway, er...personally, before going to uni I would suggest that it's sensible to perhaps spend a few days there, if there's anywhere you could stay, I'd do that. You'll be there for 3 years, you do not want to make a mistake in your decision, surely it make sense to spend a few nights there?

Hm, the uni itself isn't dead, well, if it is then so is pretty much any other. It has a huuuge number of students. One could of course say Cov City is dead. Although, Bham is only 20 mins via rail, so needn't worry about that either. Also, it has a large community of Biz students, I'm sure they'll make you feel at home!
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
lol thanks. its rip off if u think bout it........cos u need bus to get to anywhere decent.......and each way is 90p-£1.50, so if u go somewhere everyday.........i'd be afraid 2 imagine the costs a year. lol.........i would stay there 4 a few days, but theres no opportunity to. so wot do u think of the place?? have u seen it a few times?? i was impressed with the amount of food they had tho in the union etc......lol, so i won't starve to death to say the least.
Reply 3
wonkey
lol thanks. its rip off if u think bout it........cos u need bus to get to anywhere decent.......and each way is 90p-£1.50, so if u go somewhere everyday.........i'd be afraid 2 imagine the costs a year. lol.........i would stay there 4 a few days, but theres no opportunity to. so wot do u think of the place?? have u seen it a few times?? i was impressed with the amount of food they had tho in the union etc......lol, so i won't starve to death to say the least.

Yeah, you could basically live at the uni, if youre that sort of person. It has absolutely everything, bank, insurance comp., barber, tesco superstore, costcutter and etc.

You won't need to go out so often, and if you do you can get ahold of a bus pass, they're fairly cheap!!
Reply 4
ok cool, thanx........i'll keep my options open for now!!
wonkey

is it Warwick Business School that u've been to? I'm going up there on 25/2...really looking forward to it....what's it like? really new? ~~
Reply 6
CaSTle OUtsiDeR
is it Warwick Business School that u've been to? I'm going up there on 25/2...really looking forward to it....what's it like? really new? ~~

yeah, its not great compared to the others i've seen........i've seen Nottingham and Kings........its quite small.......it didn't really stand out, and it wasn't contemporary enough for me. i'm really picky, and i think all business schools should look wow, and good.
Reply 7
wonkey

It was reading week, lots of people go home for reading week. It's normally very lively.
Reply 8
picju96
It was reading week, lots of people go home for reading week. It's normally very lively.

ok cool, thanx!
Reply 9
wonkey
ok cool, thanx!

Hi wonky, I went last year too, I have an unconditional offer at warwick, It is really good there, its because of reading week. Plus cov is getting better, I am in cov I know its still shite, but it is getting better were getting abetter night life better restaurants and all that, and like that other person said above brum is like a 20 min train journey and its wikid in brum, i start at warwick this sept 2004
Reply 10
Sunnyt
Hi wonky, I went last year too, I have an unconditional offer at warwick, It is really good there, its because of reading week. Plus cov is getting better, I am in cov I know its still shite, but it is getting better were getting abetter night life better restaurants and all that, and like that other person said above brum is like a 20 min train journey and its wikid in brum, i start at warwick this sept 2004

Thanx Sunny, i am feeling more reassured now, i'm just blaming it on bad day, lol. but i still have to c Bath first to decide, although i know Warwicks business school is prob a lot better than Bath.
Reply 11
wonkey
Thanx Sunny, i am feeling more reassured now, i'm just blaming it on bad day, lol. but i still have to c Bath first to decide, although i know Warwicks business school is prob a lot better than Bath.

its ok, its real nice here in the summer aswell as winter n all that, just give it time
Hey Wonkey,

I am in the same position as u! I visited warwick in the summer (not on any open day) and it was a building site! no one was to be seen anywhere and the atmosphere in general felt really isolated! I am going to an open day tommorrow and hoping it will be slightly more lively!

What I am trying to remember is that it is a tight knit campus uni and during term time it will be v. lively with lots of atmosphere as most pubs/clubs are on site + poor students do not have the money to travel far :P

Anyway good luck with everything & don't let it put you off too much :smile:
Katharine
Reply 13
peach_archers
Hey Wonkey,

I am in the same position as u! I visited warwick in the summer (not on any open day) and it was a building site! no one was to be seen anywhere and the atmosphere in general felt really isolated! I am going to an open day tommorrow and hoping it will be slightly more lively!

What I am trying to remember is that it is a tight knit campus uni and during term time it will be v. lively with lots of atmosphere as most pubs/clubs are on site + poor students do not have the money to travel far :P

Anyway good luck with everything & don't let it put you off too much :smile:
Katharine

Hey Katharine, I hope u like it 2moro! seeing as theres no reading week etc........it should be pretty normal 2moro! is warwick ur first choice?? which course??!
Reply 14
Hey wonkey, I'm sorta the opposite to you, when i went in the summer i absolutely hated the place! I thought that i would love it as everyone went on about it all the time and said how nice it was, but when i got there it was a concrete jungle, there wasn't much atmosphere, I didnt think much of the tutor at the Business school and people were not very helpful. I then got a shock when i realised how far away it was from everywhere! This bad experience has made me decide to reject my offer there. Are you still to accept you offer now?
Reply 15
gemma1811
Hey wonkey, I'm sorta the opposite to you, when i went in the summer i absolutely hated the place! I thought that i would love it as everyone went on about it all the time and said how nice it was, but when i got there it was a concrete jungle, there wasn't much atmosphere, I didnt think much of the tutor at the Business school and people were not very helpful. I then got a shock when i realised how far away it was from everywhere! This bad experience has made me decide to reject my offer there. Are you still to accept you offer now?

Hey Gemma, thats strange, i haven't heard of many people not liking the uni.......well, except for the fact that its in the middle of nowhere, which I've realised even more after visiting it last week, and lack of nightlife........i'm still bit confused, but its definitely between warwick or bath......wot bout u??
Reply 16
wonkey
Hey Gemma, thats strange, i haven't heard of many people not liking the uni.......well, except for the fact that its in the middle of nowhere, which I've realised even more after visiting it last week, and lack of nightlife........i'm still bit confused, but its definitely between warwick or bath......wot bout u??

I dunno atm - LSE finally rejected me today, so it is between Exeter, Southampton and Reading - i'm going to Reading next week so that my help me make my mind up - the only reason that i'm considering it is because they are asking for low grades, so thought it may be a good insurance choice
Reply 17
gemma1811
I dunno atm - LSE finally rejected me today, so it is between Exeter, Southampton and Reading - i'm going to Reading next week so that my help me make my mind up - the only reason that i'm considering it is because they are asking for low grades, so thought it may be a good insurance choice

awww...sorry to hear about LSE, but don't be too disheartened by it.....its no big deal. I think out of the 3, Exeter is prob the best. It's a very gd uni!! Hope u won't have too much trouble deciding.
I gotta get some sleep now, going to c Nottingham early in the morning!! it's my insurance, i went in June, and a couple of years ago, but just one last time! lol, nite xx
Reply 18
wonkey
awww...sorry to hear about LSE, but don't be too disheartened by it.....its no big deal. I think out of the 3, Exeter is prob the best. It's a very gd uni!! Hope u won't have too much trouble deciding.
I gotta get some sleep now, going to c Nottingham early in the morning!! it's my insurance, i went in June, and a couple of years ago, but just one last time! lol, nite xx

Well have fun tomorrow! I think i'm guna go now as well! nite nite xxxx
wonkey
Hey Katharine, I hope u like it 2moro! seeing as theres no reading week etc........it should be pretty normal 2moro! is warwick ur first choice?? which course??!

heyaaaa,
just got back from visiting Wawick! I actually really liked it! lots of people being there makes a BIG difference when I saw it 'dead' in sumer (just as you did in 'reading week') I was v.v.v. put off by it, but seeing it full of students really gave it atmosphere! Also the accommodation looks pretty good compared to what I have seen of other Universities. I am pretty sure it will be my first choice now (i have applied for History)

I do see what you mean about the long distances to shop & expesive bus fares but there are loads of shops on site, millions of cafes/restaurants/bars/clubs a free swimming pool and v.v. cheap gym. Also nightlife seems pretty good + a cinema/theatre. The student showing me around said she normally goes to town about twice a week so it doesn't cost too much. Also high speed internet access in every students room + can join any club/society via the web (sorry if u know all this just trying to reassure u :smile: )

Anyway good luck with whatever you choose (Bath is lovely too so you can't go wrong!)

Stay Happy,
Katharine

Latest