The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Safraaz
i think its awful what u all think

Of course it is right in certain situtations i.e. Rape, I'm not sure just for the sake of it though. I do think having an unwanted baby adopted may be a better idea.
Reply 2
Depends on the situation. In other words I'd give seniority to the mother.
Reply 3
I think abortion is ok in some cirmamstances. Its a very grey area though. For example is it right to have an abortion if the baby is unhealthy? I would guess it depends on the exact circumstances of the illness.

Its such a difficult question. There is quite a lot of stuff I have to say on the subject but hopefully others will bring it up. I am stuck quite strongle in the middle of the two extremes so I am likely to offend a lot of people if I say too much.
Reply 4
amazingtrade
I think abortion is ok in some cirmamstances. Its a very grey area though. For example is it right to have an abortion if the baby is unhealthy? I would guess it depends on the exact circumstances of the illness.

Its such a difficult question. There is quite a lot of stuff I have to say on the subject but hopefully others will bring it up. I am stuck quite strongle in the middle of the two extremes so I am likely to offend a lot of people if I say too much.

I could never have an abortion because i couldn't live with the guilt but i think it would be cruel to force a rape victim to have their rapist's baby. They've already been through one ordeal, why should they go through another. If i found out that my baby was unhealthy i would have it and led god decide x
Reply 5
eleenia
I could never have an abortion because i couldn't live with the guilt but i think it would be cruel to force a rape victim to have their rapist's baby. They've already been through one ordeal, why should they go through another. If i found out that my baby was unhealthy i would have it and led god decide x

Ok I am glad you mentioned this is what I wanted to debate. What if you knew the the baby would have health problems and probably not live beyond 13 years of age?

I personaly think it is such a difficult question. One on my friends had genetic deiesese known as "jenes" This meant that he inumne system was not effective so any contact with general public could kill him. He died when he was 14. He knew he would die of a young age all through his life.

He was happy as a person in that situation could be and I think he enjoyed life although a very different version of it.
Adoption is always an alternative to abortion. Incidences where I would find abortion acceptable would be where the woman is feeling incredible physical pain and could never go through with it. With rape-victims, as much as I hate rape (even more than murder & all rapists should be executed), I think they should be provided with counselling for example so that they can get through it and then at the end, give the baby up for adoption to some unfortunate couple who can't have children.

Anyways, I don't know much the issues surrounding abortion so I should just shut up now.
Reply 7
byakugan_neji
Adoption is always an alternative to abortion. Incidences where I would find abortion acceptable would be where the woman is feeling incredible physical pain and could never go through with it. With rape-victims, as much as I hate rape (even more than murder & all rapists should be executed), I think they should be provided with counselling for example so that they can get through it and then at the end, give it up for adoption to some unfortunate couple who can't have children.

Anyways, I don't know much the issues surrounding abortion so I should just shut up now.

No your opinion is as valid as anybody's that is the whole point of having opinions :smile: I shall shut up since I am male and this will never apply to me though :smile:
Reply 8
amazingtrade
No your opinion is as valid as anybody's that is the whole point of having opinions :smile: I shall shut up since I am male and this will never apply to me though :smile:

I just think that for a lot of women the psychological scars of having to have the baby conceived through rape would be horrific. As much as I hate abortion i just think it would be terrible for these women. One thing i detest is girls who use it as the final form of contraception. I've known a few people at school and uni who were too lazy to sort out contraception and when they (unsurprisingly) got pregnant they had an abortion.
Reply 9
eleenia
I just think that for a lot of women the psychological scars of having to have the baby conceived through rape would be horrific. As much as I hate abortion i just think it would be terrible for these women. One thing i detest is girls who use it as the final form of contraception. I've known a few people at school and uni who were too lazy to sort out contraception and when they (unsurprisingly) got pregnant they had an abortion.

Well I have not lost my Richard Branson's company plates yet but I personaly cannot understand why girls don't force the male to wear a condom. I would always wear one anyway to protect me as much as anything else. I can understand why some women don't take the pill but a condom is quite risk free.

People who have lazy sex at 15 and get pregant probably should not be allowed to have an abortion they should be forced to adopt. I am not qualified to say though really.

I can understand wanting to have an abortion if you were raped. That is different.
I don't think abortion is murder. I don't believe that a baby is a baby until it is born, or at the very least until it would be able to survive if it wasn't in the womb, which it wouldn't when you have an abortion. Saying someone should be pregnant for 9 months and then give the baby up for adoption is not as easy as it sounds out loud. I also don't agree with people who go to the extreme of saying taking the morning after pill is wrong. To go to that extreme you might as well go to another and say having periods is wrong because it was a perfectly good egg which should have been fertilised. There are also some situations where abortion is probably the right thing to do, for example I watched a TV programme about a woman who was having siamese twins who she knew were joined at the head, as in end to end, and she didn't have an abortion because she said something about "not wanting to play god". Well, you know what, f**k playing god. That's just completely selfish and not to mention ridiculous. (both babies died, they HAD to be seperated and there was the smallest chance of them surviving, which the mum also knew, and they died so yeah..nice one). Why bring children into the world for them to die before they've barely even opened their eyes? People need to start thinking more about the child and less about morals and opinions and what is believed to be right. This is a child and it's not something to be seen as an obligation which has to be born to keep god or your parents or father ted down the road happy. People need to look at the bigger picture and the welfare of the child. Some people don't and it's a damn shame.
Reply 11
Wrong.
Reply 12
I see nothing whatsoever morally wrong with it, if that is what you mean..
Reply 13
Of course it is right in certain situtations i.e. Rape, I'm not sure just for the sake of it though. I do think having an unwanted baby adopted may be a better idea.

But it's illegal in Britain for rape. They foresaw the legal difficulties (i.e. rape is almost impossible to prove). Also why should the baby be punished for the father's crime?

Behind your argument is an assumption that having the abortion somehow lessens the rape or makes it go away. Rape is an event which would stay with you for a possible lifetime. I see no reason why having an abortion would lessen that.

I could never have an abortion because i couldn't live with the guilt but i think it would be cruel to force a rape victim to have their rapist's baby.

Who is forcing the woman? The baby has a right to be in the womb as its the only place where he or she can grow properly.

They've already been through one ordeal, why should they go through another.

But abortion itself is an ordeal which can often leave the mother in a worse situation (you can't undo the abortion but you can give the baby up for adoption if you can't cope).

For example is it right to have an abortion if the baby is unhealthy? I would guess it depends on the exact circumstances of the illness.

But how would the baby benefit from being aborted? If you're a Christian I guess you might believe that the baby would go to heaven, but if you don't believe in heaven then you've just destroyed that baby's one chance at life.

A disabled life is better than no life at all.

I don't believe that a baby is a baby until it is born

So 2 seconds before its born it's not a baby and 2 seconds later it is? I don't think so!

or at the very least until it would be able to survive if it wasn't in the womb, which it wouldn't when you have an abortion

Wrong. Babies have been known to survive as young as 19 weeks old. Eugenic abortion can occur up to birth for disability in the UK and up to 24 weeks for "normal" babies.

I also don't agree with people who go to the extreme of saying taking the morning after pill is wrong

But if it kills the embryo (which in many circumstances it does) it has the same effect as abortion.

If you want to see what abortion looks like then go to: http://www.prolife.org.uk/abortionThumbnails.htm

I refuse to believe from those photos that the baby is not human.

Paddy
Its wrong and I disagree with it unless there are circumstances where for example the woman has been raped or by having the baby the womans life will be put in danger.
Reply 15
Yeah - obviously no-one disagrees with abortion when the mother's life is in danger. 1 life is better than 0.

Paddy
happypad
Yeah - obviously no-one disagrees with abortion when the mother's life is in danger. 1 life is better than 0.

Paddy

thats a good point actually
Reply 17
It's important to point out though because a lot of the pro-abortion news organisations like the BBC pretend that pro-life groups are even against abortion to save the life of the mother. They're lying to be frank.

Even the Catholic church isn't. They just don't call it abortion in those circumstances (I won't go into the confusing details as to why).

Paddy
happypad
It's important to point out though because a lot of the pro-abortion news organisations like the BBC pretend that pro-life groups are even against abortion to save the life of the mother. They're lying to be frank.

Even the Catholic church isn't. They just don't call it abortion in those circumstances (I won't go into the confusing details as to why).

Paddy

The catholic church's official stance is pretty strong, it is extremley anti abortion. Thats the official stance, but most priest nowadays realise it is part of the modern world and accept it.
Reply 19
The catholic church's official stance is pretty strong, it is extremley anti abortion. Thats the official stance, but most priest nowadays realise it is part of the modern world and accept it.

I've never met a Catholic who wasn't pro-life before.

It's quite fashionable to question abortion at the moment. One only has to think of America's enormous support for banning partial-birth abortion and don't forget all the positive media coverage surrounding Joanna Jepson's court case in the UK. Even traditionally pro-abortion news organisations like Reuters came on board.

Not to forget fashionable organisations like www.feministsforlife.org or www.studentlifenet.co.uk :smile:

Paddy

Latest

Trending

Trending