The Student Room Group

Another possible scam e mail from student finance

My parents recieved an e mail from [email protected]. It says absolutely nothing but "Proceed Securely via the attached file". It isnt addressed to anyone, has no reference number, nothing just that one sentence.

When you open the attachment it takes you to a web page that is set up like a form and says student loans company in the right top corner and student loan repayment on the left.

It asks you for your customer reference number, password, secret answer, e mail address,e mail password and your bank account number, roll number and sort code.

If you ask me this e mail totally stinks. I'm not even finished my course yet, let alone earning the required amount to start repaying, and why did my parents recieve the email not me??

I've contacted directgov through http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Hl1/Help/DG_176652 which also has details about another scam e mail. I havent heard anything back as I have literally just sent them a message, but I personally wouldnt fill this form out if my life depended on it and I would advise everyone else to do the same. There is no way the student loans company need your password, your secret answer or your e mail password.

Beware!
Reply 1
always delete any email from banks, SLC, SFE unopened.
If its important they'll write.
Reply 2
This sort of thing really gets to me. There will always be people out there who panic and enter their details.

Student Finance are crap at the best of times but I hope they get something out there to warn people.

You might not get a reply - I've sent a few on to the bank and they haven't replied or anything.
Reply 3
Original post by denislaw

usually I do, but my mums not as internet savvy as I am lol!
Reply 4
Original post by rachel.h

Original post by rachel.h
This sort of thing really gets to me. There will always be people out there who panic and enter their details.

Student Finance are crap at the best of times but I hope they get something out there to warn people.

You might not get a reply - I've sent a few on to the bank and they haven't replied or anything.

I know right? Thats why I thought I would warn everyone, I didnt want anyone to panic and enter their details. I do find it insane that you would though, even if you thought you werent going to get anymore payments, I would never ever fill something like this in, especially not on the internet.

I did get a reply, they told me to report it to somebody else.. typical
Reply 5

Not really, I've been in contact with a case worker from SFE who emails me as it's quicker and easier than writing or phoning, meaning I can scan forms to her instead of waiting 2 weeks for posting and prossessing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending