The Student Room Group

The safest place in the UK

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I live in a village just outside Northampton, I feel safe. Some areas in Northampton are complete dives, though.

North Wales is pretty safe.
Reply 61
been very drunk in Sheffield a few times on my own late at night (silly, I know) but have never felt threatened or anything. One time, this guy did approach me after shouting me from across the street and I thought something bad was gonna happen. :p: Turns out he was an equally drunk student who turned out to be a friend of a friend. We ended up walking home together but not before stopping off to get a pizza and sitting on a bench for an hour putting the world to rights. Ahhh, good times.

but yeah, Sheffield is safe.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 62
I think the North is probably more safe than the South in general. I would say Whitehaven in Cumbria (before the serial killer ruined their rep)

Original post by PotPon
eastbourne without a doubt

I live near there. I see what you mean, since it's full of old people but it's also pretty much chav capital.

Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
Whatever you do, don't go out at 2am at night in Vicky Park. So. ****ing. Scary.

I saw this random figure standing in the middle of a field, completely obscured by shadow. I couldn't tell if he/she was looking at me or in the opposite direction - scariest thing I have ever seen, just so ominous. A fox came out of nowhere 2ft from me on the path, and a bunch of drunk chavs jumped out at me from the trees before running off. All this happened in about 15 minutes.

:cry2:

Nooo... the areas around the Uni are bare safe, used to finish work around 5am and walk home alone; never had any trouble:- the milkman always waved me :h: However, London road, Welford road (towards town), Evington road and general town, day or night are full of WEIRDOS. But yeah, Leicester is full of cute little foxes that won't stop whining at night.
(edited 12 years ago)
Peckham BRAP BRAP!
Original post by Mad Cat Lady
what were you doing there all by yourself?

Just come back from a QI recording in London, could only get the last train out of St. Pancras, no taxis at the station and didn't feel like walking into town to hail one.
Reply 65
It really depends on what race, class etc you are.
Probably where i grew up (and still visit regularly) St Andrews. Next to no crime there.
Reply 67
Original post by Mufasaa
I live in a village just outside Northampton, I feel safe. Some areas in Northampton are complete dives, though.

North Wales is pretty safe.

Yeah, living in rural Northamptonshire feels extremely safe, which is funny considering towns like Corby and Rushden are just round the corner, they're probably not as bad as I imagine them to be but still I don't think I'd feel particularly safe living in them. And North Wales is supposed to be safe and they say Bangor has one of the lowest crime rates in the UK but I'm not convinced, there does seem to be quite a chav population in towns around here and I don't feel particularly safe round some of the locals, but then again most of the UK is like that I guess.

Safest place I'd say would probably be the remote areas of Scotland, was there in the summer and as far as I could see outside of the larger settlements there doesn't seem to be many young people at all.
(edited 12 years ago)
I feel pretty safe in Aberdeen, as long as I don't end up in Torry or Tillydrone at night.
I live in Kingston-upon-Thames and I feel safe. We've got one of the lowest crime rates in the country and the lowest crime rate of all Greater London suburbs.

I even looked at that crime map that was set up about 6 months ago, and the area I lived in for Uni had roughly three times more crime that we do in the area around my family home.
Probably Ightham/ Borough Green in Kent, been there a few times to my friends house and couldn't feel any safer, but to be fair it is mostly old people who live there -_-
Big change since I live in Central London.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 71
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Somewhere rural would be my guess, maybe areas of Derbyshire like Bakewell or High Peak, possibly somewhere with an ageing population.

I'm Preston born and bred and I've found it relatively safe but Church Street (where all the takeaways/Lava/Warehouse are) is officially the most dangerous street in Lancashire. And Glovers Court, where Browns is, is one of the most dangerous in the country :lol:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-12334253

Mate, that turned out to be a load of rubbish. Something about the data collection, like the PR1 postcode starts on that street, but ALL crime in the PR1 area was being accredited to that one street; it's a load of crap, nothing ever happens down there.
Reply 72
i live in edlington doncaster, you will know the place from the news, google it if you don't because you will know the story of what happened there
still pretty safe though
Reply 73
Wherever has the highest concentration of middle to upper class white people.

In b4 negs, truth hurts.
Reply 74
Totteridge in North London is very safe. We even have private security that patrols the area in the evening.

Hampstead is also safe, many of my friends live there, love it there.
Reply 75
Original post by Olie
Yeah, living in rural Northamptonshire feels extremely safe, which is funny considering towns like Corby and Rushden are just round the corner, they're probably not as bad as I imagine them to be but still I don't think I'd feel particularly safe living in them. And North Wales is supposed to be safe and they say Bangor has one of the lowest crime rates in the UK but I'm not convinced, there does seem to be quite a chav population in towns around here and I don't feel particularly safe round some of the locals, but then again most of the UK is like that I guess.

Safest place I'd say would probably be the remote areas of Scotland, was there in the summer and as far as I could see outside of the larger settlements there doesn't seem to be many young people at all.

I know someone who goes all over the UK fixing playgrounds (literally anywhere he's needed so he's been to pretty much everywhere in England and South wales) and he said one of the worst places he's been was actually in Kettering, which is quite surprising because I consider it a nicer place than the other decent sized towns in the county :lol:

I went to Bangor to look at the uni and spent the weekend there, it was chavvy but I never felt unsafe.
Reply 76
I live in Devon, I feel pretty safe here. Also, bored.
Currently residing in south west London and find it very safe indeed.
Original post by Olie

Corby isn't that bad.. I admit that there are some estates I will not walk through because I value my life, but I feel safer when there are sirens and stuff going because you know the police are actually doing something. Though my area isn't the nicest (between 3 pubs.. you're bound to get drunken idiots), it's still a nice community.
Peckham

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending