The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
andmill
You gonna retry in a years time or maybe have a look into careers in the army and navy? :eyeball:

I will definately be retrying in 12 months time, without question.

One question my father asked me today (which I don't know the answer to, maybe someone here does?), if I try again in 12 months time and fail AGAIN... does the RAF close it's doors on you completely? For example, could I not then join at a tradesman level instead of Officer? Or are the allotted 2 attempts for Officer rank only?
Sam-J-Jewell
I will definately be retrying in 12 months time, without question.

One question my father asked me today (which I don't know the answer to, maybe someone here does?), if I try again in 12 months time and fail AGAIN... does the RAF close it's doors on you completely? For example, could I not then join at a tradesman level instead of Officer? Or are the allotted 2 attempts for Officer rank only?

There is no specific limit set on the number of times that you can apply through the AFCO. Basically, if you get into a rut of applying once a year and getting told no, then after about 2/3 years take the hint. On the other hand, that might just mean taking yourself off to Uni for 3 years, or getting a job for a few years. I would have thought that after about 5 attempts the AFCO, despite changing staff, would have your name on a 'list'. In fact, rather more likely that by that stage they would be able to tell you directly that you had some quality that made you incompatible with military service and to please not apply again.

However, don't read into that that you have a flaw that they have spotted, that is almost certainly not the case. I'm afraid the RAF are quite brutal in their selection process, the blunt truth is that for reasons of life experience, possibly academic record etc a 21 year old is less of a training risk than a 17 year old, just as they have said, they want you to come back in a year. Take heart that they have confidence that it is worth seeing you in a year, they could have said 2 years, or after Uni!

Don't get suckered into joining as an Airman if you think you are officer material from the start. It is much harder to get commissioned from the ranks than it ought to be, and takes longer than it should!

If I recall correctly you can only do the Pilot/WSO aptitude tests twice, the tests are kept on your record and count for subsequent applications (more relevant to those that have done the tests as Air Cadets for flying scholarships etc).
Reply 62
i think you can only do the WHOLE aptitude test twice, not just the piot/WSO bit.
I got selected for IOT when i was 17! :smile: :wink:
Reply 63
Is a good question... haven't heard anything like only having 2 shots at application?? Ring your AFCO. Would like to reiterate (sp?) what others have said... at 17 to be thinking about your career shows some degree of direction and maturity, which is something you should be proud of. In a years time though, you'll hardly recognise yourself... will have grown and developed in so many ways. You can't rush this, it's just the way life goes and you should enjoy the experiance. I'm 23 (well, in 2 days time :blush: ) and the difference I see in myself compared to just last year is crazy! The next time you apply, you will be able to give them everything you've got now and more... !!! Chin up hun... :redface:
Reply 64
Getting Old Lou :wink:, happy birthday I had a minor mid life crisis on my 23rd last year a bit of an OMG my friends are getting married, getting jobs and im bumming around the world, 24 should be better as i have (slightly) more purpose, although im still jobless, broke...

Sam, bad luck mate, I think as 3portdrift has said if they keep telling you no then maybe the forces arent for you however if this is only your first failure keep on slogging away, build on what they will debrief you on and come back twice as strong or maybe give it a bit longer.
Reply 65
Thanks StaVix, my baby brother was 21 on tuesday - that made me feel old?? Not too bad really have had a crazy year... was going to get married and am thankfully not so when I think of all that kind of stuff, sends a shiver down my spine a wee bit... not for me just yet!! Career girl all the way for a while yet, that's for sure! As for being broke... well, at least it gives me continuity... have been that way for a while... one thing I would like to change, but never does, despite the fact that everything else in my world thinks change is a great idea and practices it regularly :p:
Reply 66
Had my filter interview last friday and was told to wait between 3 and 7 days for the outcome. Waited for the post this morning as it had been 7 days but nothing came through. In frustration i phoned the AFCO and asked whats happened and was told it had been put in this mornings post. Gonna have to wait another day! I asked if i could be told over the phone but my request was denied. I was told however, "We need you to complete another form so we can send all your details off to OASC. That sholud give you an idea as to the outcome". I take it this means the AFCO has recomended me. :smile: However I'm still gonna have to wait for a reply from OASC to see if they're gonna give me a chance to take part. :frown: This waiting game is starting to stress me out, and i haven't even been to OASC yet! :eek:
Reply 67
Ground branch board is sitting as we speak... just you wait, till you experiance this - is fun!

Actually, one of the worst waits is the one where you find out if you are through to the exercise phase at OASC... HORRIBLE!

Have had enough now and just want to know!! :frown: :dontknow: :doh:

Sorry, forgot to say WELL DONE!!!! :p:
Reply 68
Have had enough now and just want to know!! :frown:

Its been that way since i walked out of the AFCO last friday.
Have to to say though, all this stress is helping me exercise and stay lean. Starting to look pretty buff :ts:. By the time I've completed OASC and receieved to the results i'll probably look like a greyhound!

I see you've already been to OASC. Had any nes to the result yet? How do you think you did? :hmmmm2:
Reply 69
Been to OASC, did well there and am waiting to see if the RAF would like to offer me a job... as I said the board is sitting today, in fact it probably sat this morning so am (naturally) going to ring this afternoon to see if they will give me my results over the phone, otherwise am going to have to wait (!) :banghead: until my letter arrives on Mon/Tue/Wed.

I first walked into my AFCO in April/May so aplication has been pretty quick... can take up to 18 months from AFCO to IOT.. brace yourself! :wink:
Reply 70
Scotsman88
I got selected for IOT when i was 17! :smile: :wink:

Not always a good thing, when you look at the relative success rates in FJ flying training between an 18 year old DE type and a 21 year old UAS trained guy :wink:

Good luck, though :wink:
Reply 71
Lou, ive got my fingers crossed for you! its quite exciting all these people waiting for results makes me evener keener to get on with it,

Andmill, unfortunately the wait has only just begun :smile:, you will get very good at it, Waiting for a filter interview, waiting to hear if you've passed that, waiting to hear back from oasc with yes/no and dates, then once you finally get there the whole waiting thing takes on a whole new ball game. I thought they had forgotten me as I was all alone in the medical bit waiting to see the MO lots of nail biting! Then after OASC waiting yet dreading the letter as if it arrvies too soon thats bad (3 weeks is the standard for a no so ive been told).

the wait makes it all worth while though at the end of the day when you get on IOT! :smile:
The OTC unofficial motto is hurry up and wait which is even more annoying but somehow you seem to spend a lot of time doing.
Reply 72
I had to wait three months for my letter from OSAC. It sounds like your AFCO have put you though. I would start revising and keep up with your fitness programme as they don't always give you long after you get your letter to be ready for OASC. Best of luck.
Reply 73
Got my leter from the AFCO last week saying i had been recomended for OASC, and i got my little white post card today from OASC saying my details were being processed.:smile:
Looks mt fingers are gonna remain crossed for a long time yet though! :mad:
Reply 74
Wzz
Not always a good thing, when you look at the relative success rates in FJ flying training between an 18 year old DE type and a 21 year old UAS trained guy :wink:

Good luck, though :wink:

Cheers. Yeh UAS will do better. Had quite alot of flying experience for a 18 year old tho! lol
Reply 75
Got my letter for my debrief today, it's Monday!

Haven't given me much time to prepare. Although there's nothing really to prepare! Just any questions I should ask really.

Anybody got any idea what would be good to find out?

Besides where I cocked up :wink:
Reply 76
One of my friends has just been told to come back in a year. They have just dropped the intake numbers for many of the branches and closed intake on some such as Supply.

One thing they will remember if you go back in a year is your determination. It shows committment if you still want it in a years time.

I am lucky as I work on an RAF station. If you don't speak to your AFCO and see if you can go and visit some to see what it is like! Trust me it is an eye opener.

Just keep at it and hopefully I will see you all in the mess for a drink some day and at about £1 a pint it could be a good night! :p:
I might be inclined to ask a rather bold question.

"Was it a general weakness across the board, or were there specific weak areas compared to stronger ones?"

If the answer is a slightly vague 'general weakness' that probably means you were fine, but they weren't prepared t take a risk on a 17 year old, ie just continue as you are and by 18 you will look more appealing to them. Make sure you keep working at it though, don't ditch all your activities etc and then panic with 1 month to go!

If the answer is that you were weak on certain specific areas, then job done, brush up on them and you will be sorted 2nd time around. Also, you can focus your effort for the next 12 months.
Reply 78
Sam-J-Jewell
Got my letter for my debrief today, it's Monday!

Haven't given me much time to prepare. Although there's nothing really to prepare! Just any questions I should ask really.

Anybody got any idea what would be good to find out?

Besides where I cocked up :wink:

Speaking as someone that just had a debrief 3 weeks ago, There is nothing you need prepare for, except for any questions that you have, but the CO will go through the entire interview with you, including how you appear, how you communicated, how you put yourself forward, How you sold yourself, your knowledge and so forth. Also they will make suggestions on how to improve in the area's they may feel let you down.
Reply 79
Scourg,

What did they say in your debrief - anything helpful? You still keen about joining?

Latest