The Student Room Group

Microsoft Access! Major Help Needed!!!!!

My ICT class are expected to make a database in Microsoft Access and I have never used it before. My teacher has not taught it to us at all and just expected us to know how to use it even though I have explained to her that I have never used it before.

I need loads of help with it. I don't have a clue what to do. I was looking at getting a personal tutor to help me out but there are none in my local area (the nearest one is 50 minutes away).

Would anyone be really kind and helpful and have a look at it if I PM it to them? Thanks very much
Reply 1
Original post by hamburgerandbeans
My ICT class are expected to make a database in Microsoft Access and I have never used it before. My teacher has not taught it to us at all and just expected us to know how to use it even though I have explained to her that I have never used it before.

I need loads of help with it. I don't have a clue what to do. I was looking at getting a personal tutor to help me out but there are none in my local area (the nearest one is 50 minutes away).

Would anyone be really kind and helpful and have a look at it if I PM it to them? Thanks very much

If you PM it to me I can see if I can help you out.

No guarantees though, I have not used Access since my ICT lessions in Year 9 or something. I have a huge amount of experience with databases, I just never felt the need to open up the few .mdb/.accdb I have worked on in Access.
You could try the video tutorials on Teach-ict

http://www.teach-ict.net/software/access_2007/access_2007.htm

(They also have Access 2003 tutorials on that site if that is what you are using)

Microsoft do good tutorials see
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/training/get-to-know-access-RZ006118141.aspx

and you could try googling "access tutorial" - there will be loads. Also try Youtube as there will be loads on there. How about going to the library and getting an "Access for Dummies" book (not that I'm calling you a dummy :smile:)
There are absolutely loads of resources out there to teach you Access.

On a serious note though, as a teacher I find it shocking that you would be expected to create a database in Access without any kind of introduction or basic exercises. I'm currently doing Access with Btec students and they are finding it hard going with all my guidance. I would seriously consider complaining - get your parents to complain or raise it yourself. It's just not acceptable.
I suspect you've got a non qualified ICT teacher, so on behalf of all qualified ICT teachers - kick up a stink! They shouldn't be doing the job if they can't teach basic stuff like this.
Reply 3
Original post by marthamonkey

and you could try googling "access tutorial" - there will be loads. Also try Youtube as there will be loads on there. How about going to the library and getting an "Access for Dummies" book (not that I'm calling you a dummy :smile:)

:holmes: hahah xD
Original post by marthamonkey
You could try the video tutorials on Teach-ict

http://www.teach-ict.net/software/access_2007/access_2007.htm

(They also have Access 2003 tutorials on that site if that is what you are using)

Microsoft do good tutorials see
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/training/get-to-know-access-RZ006118141.aspx

On a serious note though, as a teacher I find it shocking that you would be expected to create a database in Access without any kind of introduction or basic exercises. I'm currently doing Access with Btec students and they are finding it hard going with all my guidance. I would seriously consider complaining - get your parents to complain or raise it yourself. It's just not acceptable.
I suspect you've got a non qualified ICT teacher, so on behalf of all qualified ICT teachers - kick up a stink! They shouldn't be doing the job if they can't teach basic stuff like this.

Thanks. Part of the problem is that I can't use Access at all and so these tutorials will be useful.

The second problem is that I started creating my database for a school and it contained a table with the students name, address etc. Another table with the students subjects on it. Another table with their tutor on.

However, I then changed my whole project and decided to base the project on a bus company which students at the school use. I know exactly what I want to do. E.g I have found out what queries, forms, reports etc are and I know what my queries, reports, forms are in my head but when it comes to actually making it in Access I am immediately stuck!

So part of the problem is converting the ideas I have in my head onto an Access database which is where I am really struggling.

I told the ICT head of department about this one teacher and how bad she is however she is still there so that obviously did not work.
Original post by ak137
:holmes: hahah xD

Can you actually help with my problem?
Reply 6
Original post by hamburgerandbeans
Can you actually help with my problem?

no, sorry :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending