Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The P. G. Wodehouse Society

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Any Wodehouse fans on TSR? I thought maybe TSR should have a P.G. Wodehouse Society. What are your favourite Wodehouse books and characters?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    I love Wodehouse. I am currently reading the Blandings novels. Hilarious.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    For me, I just can't get enough of the Jeeves books. I'm a big fan of the TV adaptation with Fry and Laurie too.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilko1900)
    For me, I just can't get enough of the Jeeves books. I'm a big fan of the TV adaptation with Fry and Laurie too.
    I think Jeeves is absolutely fantastic. I love his disdain for Bertie's spats in The Inimitable Jeeves!!!!!But I've got to confess, I haven't actually read any of Wodehouses books apart from the Jeeves series. :rolleyes:
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x8Charlotte8x)
    I think Jeeves is absolutely fantastic. I love his disdain for Bertie's spats in The Inimitable Jeeves!!!!!But I've got to confess, I haven't actually read any of Wodehouses books apart from the Jeeves series. :rolleyes:
    The Blandings series are good. There was a TV documentary on Wodehouse a few weeks back narrated by Terry Wogan. Did anyone see it? Apparently unlike many of his characters he was quite a workaholic.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm a huge Wodehouse fan. Its hard for me to pick a favorite character though, every single one of Wodehouse's charecters are so adorable and eccentric and charming. My idea of utopia is living in a Wodehouse universe- nothing bad will ever really happen to you and everybody is loveable with an excellent sense of humour and your whole life will consist of visiting sprawling country mansions, being waited upon by your devoted staff and falling in love with perfect gentlemen in an epically romantic way (and ofcourse the occasional visits to chic London nightclubs and summers in Biarritz).
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Jeeves is incredible. I especially love his ability to produce word-perfect quotations on demand. Also, I cried with laughter at the story where Bertie visits the girls' school. It's alluded to in so many of the other Jeeves and Wooster stories and I think it was pure genius to let Jeeves narrate it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I love P.G Woodehouse. I think the Blandings stories are probably my favorites, Clarence (Lord Emsworth) is such an endearing character!
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinkgrapefruit)
    I'm a huge Wodehouse fan. Its hard for me to pick a favorite character though, every single one of Wodehouse's charecters are so adorable and eccentric and charming. My idea of utopia is living in a Wodehouse universe- nothing bad will ever really happen to you and everybody is loveable with an excellent sense of humour and your whole life will consist of visiting sprawling country mansions, being waited upon by your devoted staff and falling in love with perfect gentlemen in an epically romantic way (and ofcourse the occasional visits to chic London nightclubs and summers in Biarritz).
    Nicely put!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I love P.G. Wodehouse! Until recently I'd only read Jeeves and Wooster and loved them. When I was small I used to watch the TV series with my grandpa! I found them funny on a different level at around the age of 7/8 but since then and with reading them, I've come to love them for a very different reason.

I recently bought a set of 10 of his other writings. As I love the Jeeves so much, I'm sure I'll like these as much.

They're here for anyone whoes interested. 10 P.G. Wodehouse books for £9.99. Whats not to love?
    http://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webap...oductId=253016
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    I love Jeeves, though I'm currently reading Heavy Weather (Blandings) and it doesn't compare, for me.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bump
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    i havent read any P.G wodehouse books...but you guys making it sound good...can i ask what does he write about, like what genre? i might try it
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's generally about the idle rich and the antics they get up to. Light hearted comedy really. They're set in the pre-war years.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eyre2)
    i havent read any P.G wodehouse books...but you guys making it sound good...can i ask what does he write about, like what genre? i might try it
    The Jeeves novels, bear in mind I've only read a few, are centered on a feckless, jobless and much doted upon man and his incisive butler. Lots of public school humour.

Personally I prefer Waugh's comedy novels, which are based around similar themes and high-society foibles.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notethis)
    The Jeeves novels, bear in mind I've only read a few, are centered on a feckless, jobless and much doted upon man and his incisive butler. Lots of public school humour.

Personally I prefer comedy novels, which are based around similar themes and high-society foibles.
    oh ok thanks, for your reply. i might try reading that Waugh's book, which do u recomend?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eyre2)
    oh ok thanks, for your reply. i might try reading that Waugh's book, which do u recomend?
    Scoop, or Decline and Fall
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notethis)
    Scoop, or Decline and Fall
    ok thanks i'll check them out when i have time
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I love reading Wodehouse! The random books with new characters are my favourites, although I am partial to Blanding's Pigs and Jeeves!
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eyre2)
    Decline and Fall is very good. Brideshead Revisited is also good - it starts off a bit like a Wodehouse novel but gets more serious and sad as it goes on.

Travels With my Aunt by Graham Greene is another similar sort of funny book of that vintage.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: January 19, 2014
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered books, literature & poetry threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.