The Student Room Group

Petroleum engineering

I know I have my own thread below or somewhere, but I wanted to see if anyone is doing petroleum engineering? If its possible I have a few questions if your willing.
Thanks in advance

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Is A-level chemistry required in order to do a petroleum engineering course???
Reply 2
From what I've read and asked, No as its more to do with pressures and fluid mechanics
Reply 3
So is physics required?
Reply 4
Original post by Akbar2k7
So is physics required?

yep
Reply 5
Original post by Jetblast
From what I've read and asked, No as its more to do with pressures and fluid mechanics

Physics is essential for Petroleum Engineering and I know for a fact Manchester / Leeds will not be likely to take you without Maths either - Chemistry is optional but suggested, you'd manage without it but some modules will be difficult.

I know I have my own thread below or somewhere, but I wanted to see if anyone is doing petroleum engineering? If its possible I have a few questions if your willing.
Thanks in advance

Also hi! Potential Petroleum Engineer hopeful here.
Reply 6

*sigh of relief*
Reply 7
Original post by kidoo
Physics is essential for Petroleum Engineering and I know for a fact Manchester / Leeds will not be likely to take you without Maths either - Chemistry is optional but suggested, you'd manage without it but some modules will be difficult.

Also hi! Potential Petroleum Engineer hopeful here.

From what I know all you need is M1 and M2 since it more than compensates for a lack of physics however without physics Chemistry is a must.
Reply 8
I can try to help you with Petroleum Engineering but i cant help you if your questions are about the degree in UK or related stuff. In short i can help you in technical questions.:smile:
Reply 9
Original post by ibweezy
Is A-level chemistry required in order to do a petroleum engineering course???

For Manchester you need A level chemistry to study PE which is slightly annoying as im studying maths, phyics and biology. I think ill apply for leeds as main choice and portsmouth as my backup. I will contact Aberdeen but i think they require A level chemistry aswell but if not i will use Aberdeen as a backup. Now what course to choose to help fill my 5 choices :confused:
Reply 10
Original post by Zibon
For Manchester you need A level chemistry to study PE which is slightly annoying as im studying maths, phyics and biology. I think ill apply for leeds as main choice and portsmouth as my backup. I will contact Aberdeen but i think they require A level chemistry aswell but if not i will use Aberdeen as a backup. Now what course to choose to help fill my 5 choices :confused:

Actually as far as I'm aware you need 2 of Maths, Physics, Chemistry.

So I'm pretty sure you qualify unless they've changed their requirements in the last 4 months.
Reply 11
Yeh, thats what i was hoping as last years requirements was maths and any science. Recently they have changed the 2012 requirements to maths and chemistry. This was confirmed when i contacted them.

check this out http://www.seaes.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/course/?code=06139&pg=3

pretty gutted that they have changed what they are looking for in terms of a levels tbh. I wonder how the course is in terms of competition, i know for sure with the 9 grand fees coming in and PE isnt the most heard of degree maybe they might struggle for places and take on people outside there criteria?
Reply 12
Original post by Akbar2k7
From what I know all you need is M1 and M2 since it more than compensates for a lack of physics however without physics Chemistry is a must.

Hi, sorry for the extremely late reply but I wanted to point out for the sake of others and yourself that no M1 and M2 is not sufficient for a PE degree, literally 3/4 of the course content will require physics and you don't get knowledge of things like Thermodynamics in M1 nor M2.
Reply 13
Original post by kidoo
Hi, sorry for the extremely late reply but I wanted to point out for the sake of others and yourself that no M1 and M2 is not sufficient for a PE degree, literally 3/4 of the course content will require physics and you don't get knowledge of things like Thermodynamics in M1 nor M2.

you sound like you've done pet eng?
Reply 14
Anybody know if the petroleum engineering degree at aberdeen is any good? I'm really stuck between chemical and petroleum engineering (both at aberdeen). I plan on getting into the oil industry since living in aberdeen provides plenty of opportunities for that!
Original post by Mint23
Anybody know if the petroleum engineering degree at aberdeen is any good? I'm really stuck between chemical and petroleum engineering (both at aberdeen). I plan on getting into the oil industry since living in aberdeen provides plenty of opportunities for that!

They're both pretty much brand new, so take that as you will, but the quality is fairly irrelevant. Studying in the oil capital of Europe opens up so many opportunities, and I can vouch for this, that even if there was a "better" degree somewhere else then you're still better off in Aberdeen if you are sure that you want to work in the oil industry.
Reply 16
Original post by Smack
They're both pretty much brand new, so take that as you will, but the quality is fairly irrelevant. Studying in the oil capital of Europe opens up so many opportunities, and I can vouch for this, that even if there was a "better" degree somewhere else then you're still better off in Aberdeen if you are sure that you want to work in the oil industry.

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking that Aberdeen seems like the best choice (especially since I can stay at home and the fact they have a large amount of industry links).

I'm still not sure whether to take petroleum or chemical engineering though. Have you got any words of advice on this matter?

Thanks anyway.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Mint23
Thanks for the reply, I was thinking that Aberdeen seems like the best choice (especially since I can stay at home and the fact they have a large amount of industry links).

I'm still not sure whether to take petroleum or chemical engineering though. Have you got any words of advice on this matter?

Thanks anyway.

Nah I'm afraid that I can't really help with choosing between chemical and petroleum engineering.
Reply 18
my friend was in the same situation... he chose CE over PE and he doesn't regret it :biggrin:DDDDDD

so my advice is to do chemical engineering cause whatta ya gonna do when all teh oil runs out? zDXDDDD
Reply 19
Original post by sabik123
my friend was in the same situation... he chose CE over PE and he doesn't regret it :biggrin:DDDDDD

so my advice is to do chemical engineering cause whatta ya gonna do when all teh oil runs out? zDXDDDD

I honestly can't see oil running out in my working lifetime, i'm starting to see the benefits of doing ChE if I lived in a place where there wasn't much oil but where i live, there is still a massive amount of employability in the oil sector and im thinking PE might be the way to go...

Quick Reply

Latest