The Student Room Group

Predicted grades...

Hello

So I'm probably being ridiculous, but a little calming advice would be appreciated.

I'm currently about to embark on my third year at uni (Manchester), in my second year I got a healthy 73 average (6 modules: 75, 75, 75, 71, 76 and 66.) I'm applying for postgrad at LSE, and they want me to put my predicted grade. I'm working my bum off for a 1st, and hoping I'll get the grades for a first, however I am TERRIFIED of telling them I'm on track for a 1st in case something goes drastically wrong and I get my potential place swiped away from me. I think this is exacerbated by the fact there is no interview, and I'm good in them and tend to protect myself with them.

Would it be stupid to put high 2.1, low 1st to protect myself, or shall I just put 1st?

Thanks!
That's a very good average - I think you should put '1st'. They will have your interim transcript, and 'high 2.1, low 1st' would look like a very odd prediction with marks like those.

I do sympathise, as I'd have been terrified to put '1st' if I'd been applying pre-finals, but I think you'd be shortchanging yourself not to.
Reply 2
Original post by thatfineframe
That's a very good average - I think you should put '1st'. They will have your interim transcript, and 'high 2.1, low 1st' would look like a very odd prediction with marks like those.

I do sympathise, as I'd have been terrified to put '1st' if I'd been applying pre-finals, but I think you'd be shortchanging yourself not to.

Ok, I think I'll bite the bullet and write 1st, and hope they give me a 2.1 or above conditional acceptance. Fingers crossed! Thanks :smile:
Reply 3
I agree with thatfineframe

Also, how much is your 2nd year worth? It's worth remembering that if, for instance, it's worth 50% then you'd only need to average 67% in your 3rd year to end up with a first overall (subject to whatever extra things LSE say about X modules at First in your 3rd year)
Reply 4
Original post by Cirsium
I agree with thatfineframe

Also, how much is your 2nd year worth? It's worth remembering that if, for instance, it's worth 50% then you'd only need to average 67% in your 3rd year to end up with a first overall (subject to whatever extra things LSE say about X modules at First in your 3rd year)

My second year is 25%, so if my maths proves me correct, I need to get a minimum of 68 per module this year to get a 1st.

Having re-read the requirements at LSE after you said that, I can't find anything explicitly about wanting X amount of 1st's in my 3rd year. They just state 2.1 or above- though obv given the rate of applicants per place, a 1st would undoubtedly be more desirable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending