The Student Room Group

Pareto Law Recruitment Agency

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I was recruited in December by a multi million pound company through Pareto. I now drive a brand new company car and have the title of Northern Area Sales Manager. 4 months in and I'm loving it, there's room to grow and everyday is different. I never regret going through Pareto. Don't let the negative comments put you off, it didn't work for everyone but it did work for me! Give it a try, be yourself and if it's right for you it will happen.
Reply 61
I will be attending the assessment day in London on Monday but after reading the reviews I am slightly sceptical about it all. I shall just have to see how it goes.
Reply 62
Would you not recommend applying for anything through them? I am unsure if I should attend the day now?
Reply 63
Hello,

I attended the Pareto Law assessment day in London in April for a specific job. Overall, I cant fault the company.
I didn't get the job but I wasn't bitter there were people there who were far better than me.
The trick is to go in there with a lot of confidence right from the start. The people at pareto were actually very welcoming and helpful. The feedback I got was worth the 500 mile drive and it cost me £200 to stay over night (I had travelled from the North East the day before) and I learnt quite a lot from the day.
I would avoid it if you don't really really want a career in Sales.. there were a few people there who told me they didn't want to do sales which was sort of annoying but that's up to them.

I dont have a great degree so its nice to see graduates taken seriously with their academic background not taken into account!
Reply 64
Has anyone ever been to an assessment day in Belfast?
Reply 65
Original post by EllisDee
x.

If you look up the thread you will see that I wrote other comments further up that were not exactly positive at the beginning. I think most people on this thread who are being negative have issues with parranoia! My story is real, I wish negative people would stop it as it deters others from having a go and possibly being in my shoes down the line. There's a good chance you won't get picked but there's a chance you will, may as well give it a bash and find out.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 66
Original post by omac
Has anyone ever been to an assessment day in Belfast?

I've been invited to one next week..
Reply 67
Hello everyone, been reading this thread before, during and now after my Pareto assessment, and I have to give my opinion to those who are thinking of going to an assessment day.

Firstly, so you don't all think i'm a Pareto stooge, I graduated from uni last summer and was working at home until xmas. At the turn of the new year I started looking for jobs to do with Business Development (as I thought I was a good communicator) - stumbled across Pareto and was invited to an assessment day in London.
As I live in the Midlands the train fare was a lot but I thought it could potentially be worth it. The worst part of the whole process was reading everyone's negative comments prior to going as it thought it'd be a waste of time!

Not going to go into the assessment process - it's been written about on this thread a lot. Basically mine was the same as others, obviously very hard to stick out amongst so many fellow graduates but to be fair I kept relatively quiet and just corrected other people's mistakes, making me look calm and them like idiots. Worked quite well as I made it through the process.
Yes it did seem a bit like the Apprentice but don't take it too seriously - I had no expectations and so to pass was great news. For those of us who passed, we were then contacted about interview possibilities. I had two job roles available that I went to interviews for, and I'm now two months into one of those, having passed 3 very rigorous stages. I'm now an Area Sales Manager and I love it, perhaps not what I wanted to do post-uni but great experience and making very good contacts, all the while earning well with a company car.

Perhaps my personality shone through, but if you're passionate and have the right frame of mind it will shine through more than an alpha-male dominance. Unfortunately those moaning on here about the process were just unsuccessful because they obviously didn't have the right qualities that a role in Business Sales is looking for. Not gonna lie, it's hard work but very rewarding with great prospects for the future.
I personally can't fault the process, I was always called on time by my contact with Pareto, encouraged and advised for potential interviews by him and having since been placed I receive texts from him and others at Pareto about how things are going. Maybe I got lucky I don't know.... Just hope that graduates reading this are encouraged that Pareto aren't as bad as those who simply aren't good enough for a job are implying.
Reply 68
Just wanted to provided a realistic assessment of my experience with Pareto Law. I received a call out of the blue from a consultant from Pareto Law. I carried out an phone interview and was informed that i was sucessful in progressing to the next stage an 'assessment day'. I was provided with a very helpful 'tips and hints' document to help me prepare for the day.

The actual day consisted of a introduction to the company by on of the owners, a self introduction, two group activities and finally a presentation and a few probing questions. The staff that run the day are mainly recruited through the same process (makes sense for them to employ their own staff through the same process). The day is fairly intense and you are constanly evaluated at all times. They are looking at how you assert yourself and interact within group scenerios. This started from the moment you walk through the door.

In regards to the previous comments slating the proess. i would call them bitter. They are looking for the best candidates and that will invariably not be every one. I was not selected by the way! I didnt not find the staff rude or arrogant. They were confident (but you have to be to proceed, as it is what they are looking for in any sales job). My advice would be that if you are given the chance to attend, do so. I can not comment on what happens if you get through as i didn't, however I found the day to be a worth while experience. The feedback at the end is honest but constructive. I was informed that i performed very well in the group activities but died on my arse in the interview. I have taken this on board and as a result i have been selected for graduate scheme at another assessment day in logistics.

I would personally treat any comments posted here with a pinch saly (if i wasn't the one posting this i would do the same for my post), but you will never know unless you do it yourself. I certainly learnt a fair amount.

If you are looking for advice on how to succed on the day, i am not in a position to given conrete advice, however if you approach it with confidence, dress smart and act professional. Get stuck in wih the group activities, even if it is not a leadership role, mak sure you contribute. Make sure you are confident and PREPAREd for the interview. They will smell you out if you are not (like they did with me). If you dont get through make sure you get the feedback they offer, it was good to know where i flopped.
EDIT: Deleted as agree the formatting somehow lost in posting and still will not paragraph for some strange reason. I am simply critical of anyone who judges others as bitter for having an opinion on a poor experience and patronises us by saying "realistic opinion" , "real world" etc. "nonsense" ... your opinion is no more valid than ours. Glad you found it good experience and respect it works for some. You are writing off other opinions and expressing it in terms as yours is more realistic. Do you work for them? As for telling others how to spend time ???? Really is it anything to do with you. I work very, very hard on 12 hour rotas 3 days a week so lots of time thanks very much to do as I please, but the rewards are excellent not a bitter thought in my head. Good luck to anyone attending a day it is just not for everyone and not every student has the funds to lash out £200 plus. I have been exceptionally lucky with my job. Good luck to everyone who is graduating and job seeking it is a stressful time. Having an assessor making girls feel uncomfortable wasn't for me and why I posted as the whole day wasn't well put together. From speaking to a friend it is very clear the days do vary wildly depending upon where and who is running it they had a far more professional and positive experience in London even though didn't get through.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 70
Granted I may have used 'i' instead of 'I' and i may have spelt 'process' incorrectly. However I did attempt to give an insight into the day and attempted to advise people what to expect. To state that the day is costly is irrelevant, you are made aware of the location and times before the day. As a graduate you must surely be able to make a informed decision as to if you can afford to attend. There are alot of people that attend but welcome to the real world. There are tens of thousands of graduates applying for a small amount of graduate roles. You are going to be up against several hundred if not thousands of people going for the same role. Gone are the days where a degree almost ensured you a well paid job. I have just had to battle against 2500 people for three job roles. That means that there are 2497 people left dissappointed. Lastly in regards to the last poster to call some one out for their spelling is clear excellent use of your time. ps I did not write a block paragraph of nonsense clearly avoided the use colans and full stops.
Some people need to learn how to paragraph.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LexiswasmyNexis
Some people need to learn how to paragraph.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well it still will not format on a PC lol so never mind....... :rolleyes:
Reply 73
I attended an assessment day for pareto a few weeks ago and I rated the day. Dont get me wrong it is a difficult day, but that is the point! I was successful and as a recent graduate pareto have been amazing to me. They sent me on loads of top class interviews including some blue chip companies and i was success for with one IT firm. That didn't work out and pareto has taken my back and one week later I am being sent for quality interviews again. They literally prepare you so well for the interviews as well. I have been with a number of recruitment agencies and Pareto is by far the best. Also all the jobs they have sent me for have been on a very generous salary and benefits package.

IT IS NOT COMMISSION

THEY WILL KICK START YOUR CAREER... but they will see right through you if you dont want to go in to sales.
The thing is that the reason why I write this is because I read these reviews before attending the assessment day I went to in April in London. And review-pages like this need some positive input (because I am the living proof). Don’t get me wrong, the assessment day with Pareto it is a difficult day, and I have never been so nervous in my whole life.

The thing was that the second I opened the door I met great people (both the staff and the other graduates), did fun exercises and we laughed A LOT. I actually felt 2m taller the second I got there just because I knew that after this day no matter what, I knew that I will feel so much stronger as a person because I dared to do this, to actually show up at the assessment day in London!

It still sounds strange to say it, but at the end of the assessmentday I was successful!! I knew that this was the beginning of something great!! And so it was, Pareto have been so amazing to me. They quickly set me up with interviews with a big international firm! They prepare me so well for the interviews, and now I can’t be happier to say that I have officially signed a contract of employment with a big international company outside London! And not to forget: with a generous salary and benefits package!

Actually, one of the best things about Pareto is the nice Pareto-staff that I met during the assessment day, and they have been even nicer afterwards during the whole process (and still are). It’s hard to describe, but they honestly care for you!! My contact person especially, she respond to my emails/text/phone calls immediately and she is aaaalways so friendly! She makes the whole moving thing to UK and start my new career within a UK-based company so easy! We need more recruitment companies like Pareto!!

So my answer is: YES you should go!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 75
Reading through these comments I'm seriously confused, I went through the process, was successful and now have a job through them.

I understand some of you weren't successful, and yeah I can imagine it's a bit disheartening, but to go online onto a reviews page and post a load of lies about the company/day just because you're bitter? Really?

I don't understand, you weren't charged to go to the day, Pareto made no money from you attending, you had a shot to get a job so you went to a first stage group interview (in essence what the day is) and didn't get it. Grow up and move on!
P.s I rarely use this email address, but if I see there are reply's I will do my best to answer any questions.

I notice there are a lot of people being negative, as if Pareto execs spend time here trying to soothe your worries about the company. I can assure you, most of them dont have the intelligence to do so.

Please don't worry.
They are a glorified telesales-esqe recruitment agency company if you ask me,

I recently applied for a specific position with them, they left me a voicemail saying they were keen too speak to me. I couldn't call back as I was in work, so I used the time to look up who they were. There website looks promising, but then I started reading peoples experiences with them, and it put me right off. A sales company, for sales people. The position I went or, and seen advertised was no even a sales position. So i decided to not ring them back.

Over a week later they rang me again from a unknown number, I answered, and was speaking to what sounded like a young girl. She didn't ask if had the time to a quite pre-interview. Which I didn't. She asked if I was still continuing my graduate job search, and then I asked if I had a degree. (obviously yes to the second, question after saying yes to the first). She then asked what university, what grade etc, did I enjoy it. And then It was said she would not process the application further as I did not have the core competencies. My lack of interest and doubt in Pareto must have really been showing through the few yes or no questions that she asked.

Thats my experience, if you are a sales person go for it. But you do not need a degree to be a sales person, this company is just a sneaky way of luring vulnerable graduates into sales if you ask me.

but each to their own.
Reply 78
A lot of people on here have been slating Pareto. I think that's because most of them were rejected?

I was invited to an assessment day in August, following a successful phone interview. Sales was something I'd never considered before.

I arrived on the day, nervous as hell
I dressed as well as i could, dressed in a sharp black suit with a pink over the top tie (Wanting to stand out)

The whole day was intense, the 3 minute presentation, interview and group 'games' were all quite nerve raking.

around 10/50 of us passed.

The reasons I passed -
1. You have to come across as confident.
2. In the team games, being bossy doesn't work - I sat back and took it all in before contributing.
3. I made a point of being very polite, opening doors for people etc. Small things.
4. Speak very highly of yourself and link in facts on your CV.
5. Acknowledge your weaknesses, and what you do to try and change them.
6. Be passionate!
7. Dress well!!! So many people looked like sh*t. If you don't look the part, then you aren't the part.
8. Be yourself!! They can see straight through a lie! They assess thousands of people, they can spot a lie!
9. Try to think of an interesting fact for your introduction, standing out is key!
10. Try and 'make friends' if youre sat alone, you look like an outcast. Try and be part of a chatty group. (theres alot of sitting around waiting for the next task) During the waiting make friends and talk!

SO I passed, within hours pareto set me up with job interviews. They were fantastic. I got a job on my 6th interview (two weeks after the assessment day) When jobs turned me down i was given feedback. And when i finally got my job they stayed in touch to check up on me!.

Pareto were great, and without them i'd still be working in a pub!
Reply 79
Original post by josh071189
Hello everyone, been reading this thread before, during and now after my Pareto assessment, and I have to give my opinion to those who are thinking of going to an assessment day.

Firstly, so you don't all think i'm a Pareto stooge, I graduated from uni last summer and was working at home until xmas. At the turn of the new year I started looking for jobs to do with Business Development (as I thought I was a good communicator) - stumbled across Pareto and was invited to an assessment day in London.
As I live in the Midlands the train fare was a lot but I thought it could potentially be worth it. The worst part of the whole process was reading everyone's negative comments prior to going as it thought it'd be a waste of time!

Not going to go into the assessment process - it's been written about on this thread a lot. Basically mine was the same as others, obviously very hard to stick out amongst so many fellow graduates but to be fair I kept relatively quiet and just corrected other people's mistakes, making me look calm and them like idiots. Worked quite well as I made it through the process.
Yes it did seem a bit like the Apprentice but don't take it too seriously - I had no expectations and so to pass was great news. For those of us who passed, we were then contacted about interview possibilities. I had two job roles available that I went to interviews for, and I'm now two months into one of those, having passed 3 very rigorous stages. I'm now an Area Sales Manager and I love it, perhaps not what I wanted to do post-uni but great experience and making very good contacts, all the while earning well with a company car.

Perhaps my personality shone through, but if you're passionate and have the right frame of mind it will shine through more than an alpha-male dominance. Unfortunately those moaning on here about the process were just unsuccessful because they obviously didn't have the right qualities that a role in Business Sales is looking for. Not gonna lie, it's hard work but very rewarding with great prospects for the future.
I personally can't fault the process, I was always called on time by my contact with Pareto, encouraged and advised for potential interviews by him and having since been placed I receive texts from him and others at Pareto about how things are going. Maybe I got lucky I don't know.... Just hope that graduates reading this are encouraged that Pareto aren't as bad as those who simply aren't good enough for a job are implying.

Good post! Pretty much summed up my experience also

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending