The Student Room Group

STEP papers?

hi,

i've seen that one of the courses i'm applying for will accept a grade 2 in any step paper instead of the A* in maths.

i've heard some people do 2 of the STEP papers and was wondering if this is the best way to go about it. also which of the papers should i enter for?

thanks

btw i do maths and further maths at A level if that has any bearing
Reply 1
I believe there are three different levels for STEP (I, II and III) and I is the "easiest" and III the "hardest" (note: they are all difficult, I am just saying easy/hard- compared with the other STEP papers)

What course are you applying for (presumably maths related?) and which university? It is quite rare for a uni to ask for a grade 2 for *any* STEP paper :P
Reply 2
Original post by rikkuhitsu
I believe there are three different levels for STEP (I, II and III) and I is the "easiest" and III the "hardest" (note: they are all difficult, I am just saying easy/hard- compared with the other STEP papers)

What course are you applying for (presumably maths related?) and which university? It is quite rare for a uni to ask for a grade 2 for *any* STEP paper :P

thanks for the reply.

the only course that i'm looking at that says about STEP is MORSE at warwick and it isnt a required qualification more an alternative offer.

i am wondering if i enter for STEP will warwick make me an offer including STEP or will they make me both offers, one of which does not include STEP?
Reply 3
I'm not sure which they will make, but surely doing STEP will not harm your chances- if you miss the "normal" offer but get the STEP grades they could let you in anyway? (not sure btw)
Reply 4
Original post by johnkean
thanks for the reply.

the only course that i'm looking at that says about STEP is MORSE at warwick and it isnt a required qualification more an alternative offer.

i am wondering if i enter for STEP will warwick make me an offer including STEP or will they make me both offers, one of which does not include STEP?

What happened to me when I applied to uni was that I mentioned AEA Maths (which was an extension exam a bit like STEP- but easier) in my personal statement so Imperial included the requirement of getting a distinction in AEA Maths. Imperial still let me in even though I didnt meet the distinction requirement (but that was, I think, because of my A-level grades)

So I guess if you havent mentioned it anywhere then they wouldnt ask for it? I dont know if any unis will give you two different offers tho, on the other hand...

Original post by tumbling
I'm not sure which they will make, but surely doing STEP will not harm your chances- if you miss the "normal" offer but get the STEP grades they could let you in anyway? (not sure btw)

I agree that STEP probably wont harm your chances :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by rikkuhitsu
What happened to me when I applied to uni was that I mentioned AEA Maths (which was an extension exam a bit like STEP- but easier) in my personal statement so Imperial included the requirement of getting a distinction in AEA Maths. Imperial still let me in even though I didnt meet the distinction requirement (but that was, I think, because of my A-level grades)

So I guess if you havent mentioned it anywhere then they wouldnt ask for it? I dont know if any unis will give you two different offers tho, on the other hand...

I agree that STEP probably wont harm your chances :smile:

Thanks, thats really helpful :smile:
hi,

i've seen that one of the courses i'm applying for will accept a grade 2 in any step paper instead of the A* in maths.

i've heard some people do 2 of the STEP papers and was wondering if this is the best way to go about it. also which of the papers should i enter for?

thanks

btw i do maths and further maths at A level if that has any bearing

STEP I is by far the easiest of the three, and so you should take that. STEP II is noticeably harder. It's rare to get a better grade in II than I.

There are second-order effects. Practicing for STEP improves performance in your main A levels. So it's not like it's unrelated extra work. Also, Uni's like STEP. I know a (Maths) student who was accepted at Bath last year without the A* they wanted but with 3,3 in STEP. Warwick tracks degree performance by entrance qualifications and has found that even taking STEP improves predicted performance.

So take STEP I anyway, and take II as well unless it really scares you.
Reply 7
Original post by ian.slater
STEP I is by far the easiest of the three, and so you should take that. STEP II is noticeably harder. It's rare to get a better grade in II than I.

There are second-order effects. Practicing for STEP improves performance in your main A levels. So it's not like it's unrelated extra work. Also, Uni's like STEP. I know a (Maths) student who was accepted at Bath last year without the A* they wanted but with 3,3 in STEP. Warwick tracks degree performance by entrance qualifications and has found that even taking STEP improves predicted performance.

So take STEP I anyway, and take II as well unless it really scares you.

Thanks a lot, think i will
I would say be wary of the difficulty of STEP. I think a 2 in I is quite a bit harder than the A* in maths.
Reply 9
Thanks, thats really helpful :smile:

no problem :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Extricated
I would say be wary of the difficulty of STEP. I think a 2 in I is quite a bit harder than the A* in maths.

The style of the examination is certainly different, but with a lot of practise you can still do quite well :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest