The Student Room Group

What should be the lowest grade for courses?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Tommyjw
Because it doesn't need to be answered because like i said.. it is irrelevant?.

/yawn. Getting boring now.

Continue to ignore the points brought up and just focus on your ridiculous examples and irrelevant points.

You have still yet to post any reasonable logic as to why we should stop people of grades say CCC going to university. You have yet to post anything logical to suggest how it is fair or anything. So yes, this thread and your pseudo psychology is getting boring now.

A-levels are one of the few indicators we have currently, which is what universities go by is it not?
i'm not going to answer your CCC nosnesne cz i can bet if i said the lowest should be EED you would say "what about those with UUE etc"

In life there are limits, if you don't excel you have it harder.... We obviously have two different philosophies.. i feel education is elitist, but everyone should have a chance, you feel regardless of even grades all should go to uni...

I guess my view comes from a book i was given by a man who taught me soo many years ago "Average the enemy of success" in my eyes go hard or go home.. if you wanna go into education try your hardest, not do average and expect a place...
Reply 41
Original post by Joinedup

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/article6829650.ece

Why scrap a course with 90% graduate employment cos it doesn't measure up to the imo warped idea of what prestige is that's prevalent on TSR?

Journalism is a different kettle of fish imo - Beckham studies has never been a degree in the UK :rolleyes:

1st of all, that was 2 years ago. And what kind of a link is that, do you expect me to go through all that just to see a statement about golf studies?

So all degrees offered in the UK are worthwhile in your opinion yh? OK
Reply 42
Original post by TheEssence
A-levels are one of the few indicators we have currently, which is what universities go by is it not?
i'm not going to answer your CCC nosnesne cz i can bet if i said the lowest should be EED you would say "what about those with UUE etc"

No, no i would not.
Again with the nonsense ramblings. Please refrain from doing so, it makes you look rather ridiculous.

In life there are limits, if you don't excel you have it harder.... We obviously have two different philosophies.. i feel education is elitist, but everyone should have a chance, you feel regardless of even grades all should go to uni...

No, you feel education should be elitist.

Wow.. so do you just love ignoring what i say or what? when did i say everyone should go? I didn't. But thanks for trying to enforce your ridiculous point by lying, if thats what you must do.

I guess my view comes from a book i was given by a man who taught me soo many years ago "Average the enemy of success" in my eyes go hard or go home.. if you wanna go into education try your hardest, not do average and expect a place...

Again, you have ignored everything from the very start.

Not everyone who tries hard will get the grades necessary.

Why is that so hard for you to understand? It is a very, very simple point. :facepalm2:
Reply 43
Original post by Tommyjw
No, no i would not.
Again with the nonsense ramblings. Please refrain from doing so, it makes you look rather ridiculous.

No, you feel education should be elitist.

Wow.. so do you just love ignoring what i say or what? when did i say everyone should go? I didn't. But thanks for trying to enforce your ridiculous point by lying, if thats what you must do.

Again, you have ignored everything from the very start.

Not everyone who tries hard will get the grades necessary.

Why is that so hard for you to understand? It is a very, very simple point. :facepalm2:

Life is a competition, if your best isn't good enough thats unfortunate... in the olympics the top3 get medals, or should we give everyone a ribbon for participation too?

If i tried hard and didn't do well i wouldn't blame anyone but myself... i wouldn't expect a place if i underperformed...

An elitist education system would be best in my view, just as in yours an elitist one wouldn't.. why do i say this? education is about competition, as it is now, as soon as i graduate i'm not competing with my class mates, i'm competing with the uk, and the eu and the world...

you don't seem to get my point.. if we are following your logic why are grades not scrapped and everyone compete for places? there are variables affecting performance but thats life...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by *Hakz*
1st of all, that was 2 years ago. And what kind of a link is that, do you expect me to go through all that just to see a statement about golf studies?

Pity, you might have learned something.
fwiw I got straight in - I googled 'Times mickey mouse degrees' cos I remebered where I read it before and it was 1st.

2 years old means it's 2 years more recent that the RAE which the league tables everyone seems to worship are mostly based on.
So all degrees offered in the UK are worthwhile in your opinion yh? OK

Please don't try put words in my mouth - please tell me you're not at uni yet.
Reply 45
Life is a competition, if your best isn't good enough thats unfortunate... in the olympics the top3 get medals, or should we give everyone a ribbon for participation too?

Olympics is nothing like University.
Another terrible comaprison.

If i tried hard and didn't do well i wouldn't blame anyone but myself... i wouldn't expect a place if i underperformed...

Again ignoring the main point from the start. Do you really just love ignoring what i say and going round and round in circles?

An elitist education system would be best in my view, just as in yours an elitist one wouldn't.. why do i say this? education is about competition, as it is now, as soon as i graduate i'm not competing with my class mates, i'm competing with the uk, and the eu and the world...

Yes, and more graduates, up to a high limit, is always a good thing. Elitism provides less mass competition in case you don't realize what it actually means btw. Thus, elitism = less competition. Thus, your view is flawed.
Reply 46

Pity, you might have learned something.
fwiw I got straight in - I googled 'Times mickey mouse degrees' cos I remebered where I read it before and it was 1st.

2 years old means it's 2 years more recent that the RAE which the league tables everyone seems to worship are mostly based on.

Please don't try put words in my mouth - please tell me you're not at uni yet.

I certainly don't :smile:

I wasn't putting words in your mouth mate. I'm simply asking you that are all the entire courses offered in the UK worthwhile?
Reply 47
Original post by Tommyjw
Olympics is nothing like University.
Another terrible comaprison.

Again ignoring the main point from the start. Do you really just love ignoring what i say and going round and round in circles?

Yes, and more graduates, up to a high limit, is always a good thing. Elitism provides less mass competition in case you don't realize what it actually means btw. Thus, elitism = less competition. Thus, your view is flawed.

you sure are one stubborn left-winger! but ima great right back :biggrin: (terrible pun i know)

Thats your view, both are competitions in life directly or indirectly

No, you're going in circles

In everything there is a cut off point believe it or not
Reply 48

Thats your view, both are competitions in life directly or indirectly

So is which of me and my friend can down a pint faster. Doesn't mean it is comparable to University places.

No, you're going in circles

Just getting pathetic now :facepalm2:

I'll say it for the last time. Given i seem to be talking to a child and have had to repeat this three times now. People who achieve lower grades than BBC and such does not automatically mean they did not try. Many will try hard for those grades.

Now.. done? Got it? Going to stop spouting such nonsense such as 'If i tried hard and didn't do well i wouldn't blame anyone but myself.'?

In everything there is a cut off point believe it or not

Yes, well done, thanks for the ongoing pointless statements that have no relevance because it is clear there will still be cut off points no matter what. But ya know.. whatever floats your boat :holmes:
Reply 49
A*AA upwards offers to be made
AAA offers
AAB reason, offer subject to places
anything in betwee, with a minimum of one B
honestly
Reply 50
Original post by Tommyjw
So is which of me and my friend can down a pint faster. Doesn't mean it is comparable to University places.

Just getting pathetic now :facepalm2:

I'll say it for the last time. Given i seem to be talking to a child and have had to repeat this three times now. People who achieve lower grades than BBC and such does not automatically mean they did not try. Many will try hard for those grades.

Now.. done? Got it? Going to stop spouting such nonsense such as 'If i tried hard and didn't do well i wouldn't blame anyone but myself.'?

Yes, well done, thanks for the ongoing pointless statements that have no relevance because it is clear there will still be cut off points no matter what. But ya know.. whatever floats your boat :holmes:

Where did i say they did not try? If A-levels had a seperate mark for effort then it would be a different story but guess what? theres not mark for effort unfortunately..

you're too stubborn!:angry:

do unis look at effort or at grades? if the world was representative of effort a lot of things would be different ,trust me on that
Reply 51
I'd just like to know from everyone what they think the lowest grade someone should be allowed into university with...

Obviously everyone will have a different opinion some think it should be high some low, but i personally think BBC/BCC should be the lowest but for courses in high demand like law the minimum should be BBB

If i was being unrealistic i would go higher but everyone should have an achievable target that will give them a chance at further education..

What do you think TSR?

Law should never fall beyond AAB; AAA should be the standard for the likes of law.
Reply 52
Original post by honestly
Law should never fall beyond AAB; AAA should be the standard for the likes of law.

that would be abit too harsh imo, not everyone who reads law will even be a lawyer..
Reply 53
I'd say that below 10% is bordering iliteracy (unless you suffer from severe obssessive compulsive disorder, attention deficit disorder or even is in such bad mood or depressed that your grades are really that low), but that's is about my country, where entrance exams are each uni makes its own, and where the standard is more or less "cover all school subjects in one large exam, which might span many days".
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 54
Where did i say they did not try? If A-levels had a seperate mark for effort then it would be a different story but guess what? theres not mark for effort unfortunately..

you're too stubborn!:angry:

do unis look at effort or at grades? if the world was representative of effort a lot of things would be different ,trust me on that

More rambling.
Universities look at grades, among other things, but the range of universities allows for a wide range of grades. Thus people still have the opportunity for further education even if they achieved CCC for example. Nothing else needs be said.
Reply 55
Original post by Tommyjw
More rambling.
Universities look at grades, among other things, but the range of universities allows for a wide range of grades. Thus people still have the opportunity for further education even if they achieved CCC for example. Nothing else needs be said.

i'll agree to disagree if i was really up for it this would go on for eternity, among other things yes, but grades are still the most important and why should they take substandard students with substandard grades?? "Nothing else needs to be said"
Original post by OMG TOOTHBRUSH
minimum should be A*A*A*A*

if some moron tries to get in with just A*A*A* they should be publicly whipped

cute puppy```:colondollar:
Reply 57
Original post by WhatTheFunk
Here we go again, the daily thread of no one below AAA should be at University

Newsflash people get great grades at A-levels and fail or get 3rd in degrees, people do poorly at A-levels and end up with 1st

Its far better that someone spends 3 or 4 years studying something they really want to go to uni over someone who thinks its 3 years getting drunk than they can into that job in a bank earning millions
Its a part of uni getting drunk and having fun, and it something you need to do to grow and learn

Grades are only high because of the amount of people that apply

Plus A-levels are a really poor tell of how smart someone is, all they tell you is how well you was taught to throw up a load of facts and to sit an exam in the right way

Big respect, this sums it up; A level's are a tester of memory,hard work, study skills and maybe Chem/Physics/Maths/History/Eng Lit intelligence only slightly. Although I must say Im poor at Exams due to lack of study skills(Get distracted way too easily) and ability to cope under pressure but have a great aptitude for my subs(What My Math/Chem teachers say) But I still need to improve at Exams to get my AAB :colondollar:
Reply 58
Original post by WhatTheFunk
Here we go again, the daily thread of no one below AAA should be at University

Newsflash people get great grades at A-levels and fail or get 3rd in degrees, people do poorly at A-levels and end up with 1st

Its far better that someone spends 3 or 4 years studying something they really want to go to uni over someone who thinks its 3 years getting drunk than they can into that job in a bank earning millions
Its a part of uni getting drunk and having fun, and it something you need to do to grow and learn

Grades are only high because of the amount of people that apply

Plus A-levels are a really poor tell of how smart someone is, all they tell you is how well you was taught to throw up a load of facts and to sit an exam in the right way

This this this this this!
Reply 59
Original post by honestly

You're studying law ain't you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending