The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Official Warwick Economics Q&A Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by University of Warwick
Hi Econ95. This varies from year to year and it is difficult to say when the majority of offers will be made. As mentioned previously on this thread, we consider each applicant on an individual basis. We get a lot of applications and so there can inevitably be delays at peak times. So, it may take a while before you hear from us but do be patient as we will consider your application carefully and you should not be concerned if you do not receive a decision within a short time of applying.

I have got offers from all my other Unis except Warwick.
I know you get a lot of applications but so do Bristol, Bath, Exeter etc.
Without wanting to sound rude, why does it take you so much longer than them?
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
How is the order in which applicants are considered decided? Is there a sorting of candidates by grades for this or something similar?
Original post by Deadpan
I have got offers from all my other Unis except Warwick.
I know you get a lot of applications but so do Bristol, Bath, Exeter etc.
Without wanting to sound rude, why does it take you so much longer than them?

Hi Deadpan, thank you for your question. As we have mentioned throughout this thread, the time taken to receive a decision can vary throughout the application cycle but we do consider each application on an individual basis.

We can't comment on the process in other universities, but our Economics courses are extremely popular and so this makes entry onto our degree programmes very competitive. As such, we place great importance on taking the time to make sure we give careful and equal consideration to each applicant.
Original post by H0PEL3SS
How is the order in which applicants are considered decided? Is there a sorting of candidates by grades for this or something similar?

Hello there. We consider each application individually and a wide range of factors is looked at when making decisions - it would be difficult to comment on which order applicants are considered as there are so many aspects which are important.
Hi Deadpan, thank you for your question. As we have mentioned throughout this thread, the time taken to receive a decision can vary throughout the application cycle but we do consider each application on an individual basis.

We can't comment on the process in other universities, but our Economics courses are extremely popular and so this makes entry onto our degree programmes very competitive. As such, we place great importance on taking the time to make sure we give careful and equal consideration to each applicant.

If all the other universities can turn it around in 4 weeks I think it's poor form that Warwick can't in over 2.5 months. It looks like someone in the Warwick economics admissions department doesn't think it matters how long people have to wait whereas in reality thousands of Y13s are waiting anxiously and to them it matters a lot. I bet when you contact an organisation and get put on hold or don't get a reply for months to a letter it affects your view negatively of that organisation and I can tell you that applying to Universities is no different.
Original post by Deadpan
If all the other universities can turn it around in 4 weeks I think it's poor form that Warwick can't in over 2.5 months. It looks like someone in the Warwick economics admissions department doesn't think it matters how long people have to wait whereas in reality thousands of Y13s are waiting anxiously and to them it matters a lot. I bet when you contact an organisation and get put on hold or don't get a reply for months to a letter it affects your view negatively of that organisation and I can tell you that applying to Universities is no different.

Thank you for your feedback. We are aware of how important applying to university is for thousands of students across the UK and around the world. As such we have made every effort to improve the time it takes for an applicant to receive a decision but there are many factors influencing this timescale. For example, we do not always receive applications straight away from UCAS, nor are our decisions always communicated straight away to applicants as there are many delays that can enter the system at different points in the year.

We hope that you receive news on your application soon and best of luck.
Thank you for your feedback. We are aware of how important applying to university is for thousands of students across the UK and around the world. As such we have made every effort to improve the time it takes for an applicant to receive a decision but there are many factors influencing this timescale. For example, we do not always receive applications straight away from UCAS, nor are our decisions always communicated straight away to applicants as there are many delays that can enter the system at different points in the year.

We hope that you receive news on your application soon and best of luck.

That's OK. I console myself with the thought that you are thinking about giving me an unconditional so that it takes the pressure off my A Levels in the summer .
(edited 9 years ago)
Oh, nice touch.
Happy Christmas from Warwick.
The did however correctly predict that I would prefer an offer.
Original post by Deadpan

It could also be the case that they think they might get better applicants than you, or are waiting to see how many people withdraw from them as a choice before handing out more offers (i.e. to you).
Original post by Deadpan

Warwick is a Top 5 University for Economics in the UK, so of course it's gonna be harder to receive an offer from them then it would be from the likes of Bristol, Bath, Exeter etc. (no disrespect to them) and as a result, they are going to take a lot longer to hear back from for the same applicant. They receive a lot of strong candidates worldwide so they have the option to take their time and be picky. So for such a competitive course at a competitive uni it shouldn't really come as a surprise. Besides there are other people who have received an offer from Warwick for Econ, so maybe it's not them but you?

Just let the admissions do their job, they know what they're doing.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Deep456
It could also be the case that they think they might get better applicants than you, or are waiting to see how many people withdraw from them as a choice before handing out more offers (i.e. to you).

Well that is what I have to conclude. Unlike the other top Universities they don't think my application was strong enough to give me an offer until they see the entire field. Hopefully Cambridge will give me an offer anyway so I won't need the Warwick offer, but if they don't and I do get an offer from Warwick then my desire to go there has, understandably been affected by their hesitancy to make me an offer.
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Warwick is a Top 5 University for Economics in the UK, so of course it's gonna be harder to receive an offer from them then it would be from the likes of Bristol, Bath, Exeter etc. (no disrespect to them) and as a result, they are going to take a lot longer to hear back from for the same applicant. They receive a lot of strong candidates worldwide so they have the option to take their time and be picky. So for such a competitive course at a competitive uni it shouldn't really come as a surprise. Besides there are other people who have received an offer from Warwick for Econ, so maybe it's not them but you?

Just let the admissions do their job, they know what they're doing.

It maybe just me but with a prediction of 4 A * s it is not obvious to me what they are waiting for. If there is something on my application that they don't like I would expect a rejection, but to hear nothing ? Surely they can't be expecting a surge of last minute applications with 4A* predictions given how many of those also apply to Oxbridge and had to be in by mid October?
Original post by Deadpan
It maybe just me but with a prediction of 4 A * s it is not obvious to me what they are waiting for. If there is something on my application that they don't like I would expect a rejection, but to hear nothing ? Surely they can't be expecting a surge of last minute applications with 4A* predictions given how many of those also apply to Oxbridge and had to be in by mid October?

I am a finalist at Warwick on one of the Economics courses and most people have multiple A*s at A-level, I think the 4 A*s prediction thing might well be the norm. Just be a bit patient, I am sure you will do very well. God bless.
When are most of the Warwick econ offers given out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RuairiJH
When are most of the Warwick econ offers given out?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello, there is no specific period when the bulk of offers are made as we make offers throughout the application cycle.
Hello, there is no specific period when the bulk of offers are made as we make offers throughout the application cycle.

Could I ask what the reasons might be that someone applying in early September still hasn't heard back while others applying latter already have.

Is it that you want to see if you get someone better apply and so hold back marginal applications or perhaps find too many private school applicants apply early and so hold back some private school applicants to see what state applicants come in?

What percentage, or how many offers have you made so far in Economics?
(edited 9 years ago)
Just got an offer for Economics!!
Original post by MrBowcat
Just got an offer for Economics!!

Wow well done! What's the offer? I'm still waiting for mine hopefully I hear soon
Original post by Honor-Angels
Wow well done! What's the offer? I'm still waiting for mine hopefully I hear soon

Congrats!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Honor-Angels

Thanks! The offer was A*AA. They've only just started rolling out offers, so you will get yours soon too hopefully!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending