The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Official Warwick Economics Q&A Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1060
I really don't understand the admissions process.. there must be some dodgy stuff going on if you get offers from the likes of LSE and Cambridge but not warwick (not me personally).. at the same time you get people with below average grades getting an offer.. just don't get it
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by User25
I really don't understand the admissions process.. there must be some dodgy stuff going on if you get offers from the likes of LSE and Cambridge but not warwick (not me personally).. at the same time you get people with below average grades getting an offer.. just don't get it

Yes I really don't understand! I got LSE and UCL and a rejection from warwick
Original post by chiara97
Yes I really don't understand! I got LSE and UCL and a rejection from warwick

Same :biggrin::confused:
Why, they all have different criteria? Come on, it's really unsurprising if anything, it's hard to get offers from them all.

You will realise at university, unless you are one of the stars, the academics will not know who you are, they don't have time to be strategic. They just pick the best students that match their criteria. Clearly you didn't on this occasion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi I just wanted to ask about the study abroad programmes at Warwick and how competitive they are to actually get into?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1065
Hey,
So for GCSEs I didn't do that great compared to my school's average. I achieves A*AAAABBBBBB. However after receiving my poor GCSE results, I decided to up my game for A levels and now, I am predicted AAAA for AS for Maths, Economics, Geography and English Literature. I was thinking of applying to universities such as Warwick, but I don't know if I stand a chance. I really would appreciate some feedback.
Thanks
Original post by Teddysmith123
Hi I just wanted to ask about the study abroad programmes at Warwick and how competitive they are to actually get into?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you choose to study Economics at Warwick, we offer many opportunities to study abroad as part of your degree. You can spend a year studying at one of our partner institutions in Europe as part of the Erasmus programme or at The University of Monash in Australia, or The University of California.

Places are limited on these programmes and so it can be competitive and there is an application process which is completed once you are at the University.
Original post by 12g
Hey,
So for GCSEs I didn't do that great compared to my school's average. I achieves A*AAAABBBBBB. However after receiving my poor GCSE results, I decided to up my game for A levels and now, I am predicted AAAA for AS for Maths, Economics, Geography and English Literature. I was thinking of applying to universities such as Warwick, but I don't know if I stand a chance. I really would appreciate some feedback.
Thanks

Hi 12g. GCSEs are very important as an objective indication of how well you have done so these matter a lot. We will of course be impressed by candidates with lots of A* grades and those who have not scored below an A, but every year we admit a wide variety of students with very different grades.

Our typical A Level offer for BSc Economics is A*AA, including Maths which is an essential subject. No offer is ever guaranteed and we look out all applications on an individual basis. It is perhaps worth noting that our Economics courses are extremely popular and many of our applicants have superb predicted grades; for this reason we look at all aspects of the application carefully.
Reply 1068
Original post by University of Warwick
Hi 12g. GCSEs are very important as an objective indication of how well you have done so these matter a lot. We will of course be impressed by candidates with lots of A* grades and those who have not scored below an A, but every year we admit a wide variety of students with very different grades.

Our typical A Level offer for BSc Economics is A*AA, including Maths which is an essential subject. No offer is ever guaranteed and we look out all applications on an individual basis. It is perhaps worth noting that our Economics courses are extremely popular and many of our applicants have superb predicted grades; for this reason we look at all aspects of the application carefully.

Okay thanks for the reply. So would you say that I'm at a disadvantage? Because I am doing really well in all my A level subjects and predicted A* in maths for A2 as I am finding AS maths pretty easy. Economics is also an A* prediction. If I did really well in AS then would I be less disadvantaged or would my GCSE grades still have a negative impact on my application?
Many thanks
Original post by 12g
Hey,
Thanks

Hey, I'd be careful with Warwick. I got 3A*7A1B at GCSEs, A* in maths in one year and AA in econ and physics and a B in chemistry and got reject multiple times by Warwick and got an offer from Cambridge. Awesome uni but seems to have a very strange admissions process

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1070
Original post by RuairiJH
Hey, I'd be careful with Warwick. I got 3A*7A1B at GCSEs, A* in maths in one year and AA in econ and physics and a B in chemistry and got reject multiple times by Warwick and got an offer from Cambridge. Awesome uni but seems to have a very strange admissions process

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh thats strange :/ I know some people who got similar grades as I did and got in :/
Original post by 12g
Okay thanks for the reply. So would you say that I'm at a disadvantage? Because I am doing really well in all my A level subjects and predicted A* in maths for A2 as I am finding AS maths pretty easy. Economics is also an A* prediction. If I did really well in AS then would I be less disadvantaged or would my GCSE grades still have a negative impact on my application?
Many thanks

Hi 12g. We will still look at your GCSE grades because we look at an applicant's complete academic profile. Due to the competitiveness of the course, previous attainment is very important in the admissions process.
Hi 12g. We will still look at your GCSE grades because we look at an applicant's complete academic profile. Due to the competitiveness of the course, previous attainment is very important in the admissions process.

Hi,
Would you say that Further Maths A level is essential for economics?

I am planning to do Maths, Economics, Geography to A2 and Further Maths to AS level.

Would this be a strong selection of subjects for the Economics course?

Many thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

Given I achieve the required grades what is the likelihood of being able to transfer to economics from a joint maths course at Warwick?

Many Thanks
Original post by Don Joiner
Hi,
Would you say that Further Maths A level is essential for economics?

I am planning to do Maths, Economics, Geography to A2 and Further Maths to AS level.

Would this be a strong selection of subjects for the Economics course?

Many thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello

Further Maths at A Level is not an essential subject for admission. The only essential subject that we ask for is A Level Maths.

Strong analytical subjects or strong essay-based subjects (like the sciences, languages, history, English, etc.) are very good. Further Maths and Economics are also good subjects but not essential. It looks like you have a good selection of A Level subjects for Economics.
Original post by natsciballer
Hi,

Given I achieve the required grades what is the likelihood of being able to transfer to economics from a joint maths course at Warwick?

Many Thanks

Hello

It is not possible to give an exact indication of the likelihood of being able to transfer at this early stage of the year, as a major factor will be how many places we have remaining at the start of the academic year and after A Level results have been confirmed. By joint Maths course do you mean the BSc Maths and Economics?

First you should take a look at the information for prospective students on the Economics website:

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/economics/prospective/ug/admissions-and-entry-requirements

You will see that transfers are the exception and not the rule so it would make sense to contact the Economics Admissions department well in advance and seek further guidance - you can email them at [email protected]
Hello

It is not possible to give an exact indication of the likelihood of being able to transfer at this early stage of the year, as a major factor will be how many places we have remaining at the start of the academic year and after A Level results have been confirmed. By joint Maths course do you mean the BSc Maths and Economics?

First you should take a look at the information for prospective students on the Economics website:

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/economics/prospective/ug/admissions-and-entry-requirements

You will see that transfers are the exception and not the rule so it would make sense to contact the Economics Admissions department well in advance and seek further guidance - you can email them at [email protected]

Thank you for the information. I was referring to the BSc Maths and Physics course. I will keep it in mind and wait until my A Level results to take any further action.
Hi,

Do you by any chance know the number of candidates who got in the Warwick maths course last year but missed their conditional offer, ive heard it was quite high like 30-50% but no one has been able to confirm.

Thank you
Original post by Jai Sandhu
Hi,

Do you by any chance know the number of candidates who got in the Warwick maths course last year but missed their conditional offer, ive heard it was quite high like 30-50% but no one has been able to confirm.

Thank you

Hello Jai, I'm afraid I do not have any information about the Maths course - you might want to contact the Maths department directly.
Hello Jai, I'm afraid I do not have any information about the Maths course - you might want to contact the Maths department directly.

That awkward moment you realise this is the Warwick Economics Q&A Thread :colondollar:

No worries, thank you very much for responding.

Quick Reply

Latest