The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Official Warwick Economics Q&A Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by University of Warwick
Hi 12g. GCSEs are very important as an objective indication of how well you have done so these matter a lot. We will of course be impressed by candidates with lots of A* grades and those who have not scored below an A, but every year we admit a wide variety of students with very different grades.

Our typical A Level offer for BSc Economics is A*AA, including Maths which is an essential subject. No offer is ever guaranteed and we look out all applications on an individual basis. It is perhaps worth noting that our Economics courses are extremely popular and many of our applicants have superb predicted grades; for this reason we look at all aspects of the application carefully.

12g. Nobody from my school got an offer with under 8A* at GCSE. I had 3A* predictions and I got rejected.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
How do you view a case such that someone excelled in AS Maths and realised a passion for Maths (as well as Economics of course) and so decided to do AS Further Maths in Year 13 along with A2's in Maths, Economics, Philosophy and Ethics (with Predictions between A*A*A* - A*AA and a predicted A in the AS Further Maths, with 4 A's at AS level in the subjects aforementioned and Citizenship)? 2 A*s 4 A's 3 B's and a C at GCSE, but applied minimal effort in GCSEs and upped a gear for A levels
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by yesyesyesno
How do you view a case such that someone excelled in AS Maths and realised a passion for Maths (as well as Economics of course) and so decided to do AS Further Maths in Year 13 along with A2's in Maths, Economics, Philosophy and Ethics (with Predictions between A*A*A* - A*AA and a predicted A in the AS Further Maths, with 4 A's at AS level in the subjects aforementioned and Citizenship)? 2 A*s 4 A's 3 B's and a C at GCSE, but applied minimal effort in GCSEs and upped a gear for A levels

Hello

GCSEs are very important as an objective indication of how well you have done so these matter a lot. We will of course be impressed by candidates with lots of A* grades and those who have not scored below an A, but every year we admit a wide variety of students with very different grades. We will also look at your predicted A Level grades alongside any prior attainment.
Is

Maths, Economics and Geography A2
+ Further Maths and French AS

a good A level combination for the Economics course?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Don Joiner
Is

Maths, Economics and Geography A2
+ Further Maths and French AS

a good A level combination for the Economics course?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello

These are sound choices for the BSc Economics. Our general advice is that strong analytical subjects or strong essay-based subjects (like the sciences, languages, history, English, etc.) are very good. Further Maths and Economics are good subjects but not essential. Other than Maths nothing is essential.
Hello

These are sound choices for the BSc Economics. Our general advice is that strong analytical subjects or strong essay-based subjects (like the sciences, languages, history, English, etc.) are very good. Further Maths and Economics are good subjects but not essential. Other than Maths nothing is essential.

You mention that sciences, languages, history and English are good but what about geography? Is that seen by you as a strong subject?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Don Joiner
You mention that sciences, languages, history and English are good but what about geography? Is that seen by you as a strong subject?

Posted from TSR Mobile

As a humanities subject, Geography is a sound A Level choice.
As I am holding an unconditional offer to study L100 Bsc Economics at Warwick I was asking myself how to prepare for the entry.Also , while checking the reading list of the different modules there is loads of books.What will be the most relevant ones.And if there is math content I can start familiarize with.
Original post by Monderier
As I am holding an unconditional offer to study L100 Bsc Economics at Warwick I was asking myself how to prepare for the entry.Also , while checking the reading list of the different modules there is loads of books.What will be the most relevant ones.And if there is math content I can start familiarize with.

Hi Monderier. Congratulations on your unconditional offer to study BSc Economics at Warwick. We will be emailing all confirmed offer holders next month with details of suggested reading and a link to our new induction website. In the meantime, you may wish to look through some of our maths revision notes from last year which can be found here.
Any chance of getting in through adjustment?
Original post by Flather
Any chance of getting in through adjustment?

Hi Flather. We are typically full long before the Adjustment process begins so it is not guaranteed that you would get in this way.
Hello,
I have recently completed 1st year of University (which I have since left), having completed A Levels at Grammar School. Reason for leaving; I intend to attend a University providing me with increased links to the city and a career in the Investment Banking sector.

I am due to undertake a 1 year intensive A Level course consisting of Economics, Maths & Law A Level + AS Further Maths. It is within my means to obtain A*AA (+A in Further Maths)

With my current, obtained academic grades;
2A / 4B / 4C / 1D @ GCSE
3x BTEC Distinction Level 2 (music / public services / aviation studies) (former air cadet)
Grades 1-7 inc. Piano
B (Business studies), C (Geography), D (German) A Level

Including;
Spring Week in a Bulge Bracket Investment Bank
1st year IBD Internship this summer in Asia

Would you recommend applying via. UCAS to the Warwick Economics course in my current standing?
Kind regards.
X

Hi I am a year 12 student awaiting my AS results in Maths, Econ, Chem and Physics. At GCSE I achieved 7A* 3A and 2Bs, the B grades were in Food tech and French. I was predicted AAAB at AS but my teachers in Maths, Econ and Chemistry have told me my overall predictions can range from A*A*A - A*A*A* and I'm also taking AS further maths next year and am hoping to gain an A prediction there also.

In regards to academics what could hurt my application which should be addressed in the reference?

Also when looking at the Personal Statement is there anything admissions REALLY like to see which is common with successful applicants?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello! I've chosen to study Economics, Politics and International Studies, but I can't find a thread for this exact course so I'm writing here :smile: How much I can expect to spend for my books for the first year?
Hello,

I'm currently in year 13 and I received an offer for economics a few months ago. Unfortunately I've had to reject it as I couldn't sit my final A level exams due to extenuating circumstances (severe depression). I will be reapplying this coming September as I resit Year 13. I'm aware that taking 3 years to complete A levels disadvantages students but would this be to the extent where I shouldn't bother applying or is there still a chance?

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello fellow freshers, me and a few friends have made a group and page on Facebook for Warwick freshers! It would be great if you could join!

Group: facebook.com/groups/588241677919435/?fref=ts
Page: facebook.com/pages/Warwick-University-Freshers-20152016/786957574703428?fref=ts

Thanks, Eddy :smile:
Reply 1096
Will a strong candidate who is applying for a dual honours course elsewhere, so has a mixed personal statement be disadvantaged ?
Original post by Onlyheretoask
Hello,
I have recently completed 1st year of University (which I have since left), having completed A Levels at Grammar School. Reason for leaving; I intend to attend a University providing me with increased links to the city and a career in the Investment Banking sector.

I am due to undertake a 1 year intensive A Level course consisting of Economics, Maths & Law A Level + AS Further Maths. It is within my means to obtain A*AA (+A in Further Maths)

With my current, obtained academic grades;
2A / 4B / 4C / 1D @ GCSE
3x BTEC Distinction Level 2 (music / public services / aviation studies) (former air cadet)
Grades 1-7 inc. Piano
B (Business studies), C (Geography), D (German) A Level

Including;
Spring Week in a Bulge Bracket Investment Bank
1st year IBD Internship this summer in Asia

Would you recommend applying via. UCAS to the Warwick Economics course in my current standing?
Kind regards.

Hi there. As you will probably be aware, entry onto the Economics courses at Warwick is extremely competitive. Although your predicted grades are A*AA, we would also look very carefully at your past academic achievements. GCSEs are very important as an objective indication of how well you have done so these matter a lot. We will of course be more impressed by candidates with lots of A* grades and those who have not scored below an A, but every year we admit a wide variety of students with very different grades.

Of course, no offer is ever guaranteed and it would be impossible for us to admit every student who was predicted to make our offer. You are welcome to apply through UCAS, but as mentioned, we would not be able to guarantee whether you would be made an offer or not.
Original post by iBall
Hi I am a year 12 student awaiting my AS results in Maths, Econ, Chem and Physics. At GCSE I achieved 7A* 3A and 2Bs, the B grades were in Food tech and French. I was predicted AAAB at AS but my teachers in Maths, Econ and Chemistry have told me my overall predictions can range from A*A*A - A*A*A* and I'm also taking AS further maths next year and am hoping to gain an A prediction there also.

In regards to academics what could hurt my application which should be addressed in the reference?

Also when looking at the Personal Statement is there anything admissions REALLY like to see which is common with successful applicants?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello. Our typical offer for Economics is A*AA with at least an A in A Level Maths so this should give you some idea of what we would be looking for in terms of predicted grades and AS level grades. It is probably best to wait and see what your AS results come out as.

For the Personal Statement, stress your enthusiasm for the subject, wide reading and motivation. Focus on the subject rather than extra-curricular activities but non-academic information can be useful especially if it supports your academic achievements.
Original post by frunde
Hello! I've chosen to study Economics, Politics and International Studies, but I can't find a thread for this exact course so I'm writing here :smile: How much I can expect to spend for my books for the first year?

Hi frunde, if you hold an offer for the EPAIS course, reading lists will be made available in mid-late August so this will give you a better idea of how much you can expect to spend in the first year. Of course this can vary depending on whether you choose to buy your books second hand or brand new, or even borrow the books from the library. Each year students in the year above sell their textbooks at book sales held on campus so there are plenty of opportunities to pick up some bargains.

Quick Reply

Latest