The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Official Warwick Economics Q&A Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by University of Warwick
Hi,
the only information we are able to take into account, outside of the UCAS form, is something like supporting medical evidence.

However, if you apply with Warwick AWARDS, you are able to submit more information which can provide context to what we will read on your UCAS form.

Why is this? Does UCAS have some kind of authority over you? Surely you would want as much information as possible?

btw PM if you would rather not announce anything on a public forum. Being an wannabe economist studying how government control of higher education funds and how the monopoly of UCAS effects higher education just interests me.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Hi,
Maths is a key component of all our core modules, and, to some extent, it will be used in pretty much every lecture.
It will range from being pretty straight forward (the use of algebra and differentiation), to being more difficult (matrix and vectors, linear algebra, mathematical proof), but the idea is we don't simply teach you the easiest way, at the expense of the material, but we prefer to teach you the correct and rigorous way, and use more maths in the process.
The maths will go beyond that which you have done at A-Level, but we run a mathematical techniques module in first year which gets you up to speed.

Please let me in :smile:
Original post by Classical Liberal
Why is this? Does UCAS have some kind of authority over you? Surely you would want as much information as possible?

btw PM if you would rather not announce anything on a public forum. Being an wannabe economist studying how government control of higher education funds and how the monopoly of UCAS effects higher education just interests me.

I think it's more the fact that there are SO many applicants to get through.

Reading a paper from each, logistically, would be a nightmare. Warwick don't even interview!
Original post by WalkerPrince
I think it's more the fact that there are SO many applicants to get through.

Reading a paper from each, logistically, would be a nightmare. Warwick don't even interview!

Lets suppose they have waded through most of their applicants. Mpst have either been rejected or made offers to. And they are down to the last few. At this point requesting or using more information would be very wise in my opinion.

That is what what I would do.
Lets suppose they have waded through most of their applicants. Mpst have either been rejected or made offers to. And they are down to the last few. At this point requesting or using more information would be very wise in my opinion.

That is what what I would do.

Fair enough. I would call them up for an interview...
I rang Warwick to ask if the A2 subjects of Further Maths, Maths and Economics, would be acceptable for studying Economics. I was told I would have to take a fourth A2 subject, because I was doing both Maths and Further Maths. Is this correct? And if so what other Economics courses at Warwick would be suitable with my current A2 subjects?

Thank you.
Original post by Taj S Padda
I rang Warwick to ask if the A2 subjects of Further Maths, Maths and Economics, would be acceptable for studying Economics. I was told I would have to take a fourth A2 subject, because I was doing both Maths and Further Maths. Is this correct? And if so what other Economics courses at Warwick would be suitable with my current A2 subjects?

Thank you.

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/depta2z/morse/glno

This would be your best bet :smile:
Reply 167
Original post by Taj S Padda

Thank you.

Hi,
no, it seems like this is not correct. You need at least 3 A2 levels (for example, Maths, Further Maths and Economics) and either a 4th AS or a 4th A2 to meet one of our offers. The fact that you are doing Further Maths does not change this.
Reply 168

I would say the issue is that information is both costly, in terms of dedicating resources to evaluate the information, and potentially unreliable (you'll cover "cheap talk" and signalling issues in most standard UG courses), so you want to have a restricted set of objective information which you feel confident making a decision based on.

It's the same reason why the personal statement has a character limit, for example.
Reply 169

Am still chasing info on the BTEC at the moment.

The response I got on BTEC was...

We accept it, but we don’t see too many of them distinction is the highest grade so it shows that the applicant has been successful

We welcome all quals so it wouldn’t disadvantage an applicant who offers it

When (ish) do you release your first batch of offers? Bath have already sent out some!
Reply 171
Original post by Pancakeman123
When (ish) do you release your first batch of offers? Bath have already sent out some!

I would imagine the first offers will be sent out sometime over the next month. There is a bit of time between your application submission and us receiving them, then we have to make a decision, then there is some processing time before the offer is released to you.
Reply 172
Original post by Pancakeman123

Bath has sent out econ offers already ?
Reply 173
Original post by economyst

Yes. There has been 2-3 in the Econ Applicants thread and 1 from my school
Reply 174
Original post by zxh800
Yes. There has been 2-3 in the Econ Applicants thread and 1 from my school

I see only one in that thread ?

edit: I found them :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 175

2 in my school have got for econ, about 10ppl overall have got an offer from Bath at our school
Reply 176
Original post by funkydee
2 in my school have got for econ, about 10ppl overall have got an offer from Bath at our school

can you tell me their gcse/as/a levels please?
Reply 177
can you tell me their gcse/as/a levels please?

for the ones who applied to econ

one had 7A* 4A / 5A 1B / 4A* (maths, f maths, econ and physics)
the other had 11A*/ 5A 1B / 2A* (econ, geography) 2A (maths, physics)
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi,
no, it seems like this is not correct. You need at least 3 A2 levels (for example, Maths, Further Maths and Economics) and either a 4th AS or a 4th A2 to meet one of our offers. The fact that you are doing Further Maths does not change this.

Does that mean the University PREFERS that you take a extra A2 if you have taken 2 subjects from the same curricular area, like Further Maths and Maths. And if you do not wish to take the extra A2, you can still apply and receive a offer?
Reply 179
Original post by funkydee
for the ones who applied to econ

one had 7A* 4A / 5A 1B / 4A* (maths, f maths, econ and physics)
the other had 11A*/ 5A 1B / 2A* (econ, geography) 2A (maths, physics)

are they a levels or predictions ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending