The Student Room Group

Obama Ordered to Denver Bunker by U.S. Military.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Drewski
Actually, the proper procedure is to put the President on the E4B AACP (Advanced Airborne Command Post) which then acts as the HQ for the ensuing incident. While he was out of Washington, 'Air Force One' (the VC-25) does the same thing.
However, the notion that he'd be 'out of contact' with anyone because of where he is is utterly falacious. You can contact anyone from those aircraft, anywhere in the world. If someone couldn't get through, it's because they didn't want him to get through.

Yes I wasn't meaning it was a technological issue. I presume it is protocol of some sort - Bush wasn't communicating with the outside world.
Original post by 122025278
There is so much bull **** in that I don't know where to begin lol, but I will have to address your claim that "EO's are actually very powerful tools but are rarely used because as they are relatively unstoppable by the legislature they are frowned upon."

1) Whether they are very powerful tools or not is subjective, most people would say they are not at all.

2) They are not rarely used, Executive Orders are used all the time, this is all from the top of my head but the White House publishes a list of Executive Orders issued by the President, go look at it.

3) They are not unstoppable at all, quite the opposite. Look at the US Constitution, Article 1 I think it is, any Executive Order issued by a President can be overturned easily in Congress, it simply requires them to vote on it. They could either repeal it or supercede it with a new law. Further more ONLY Congress can make law, issuing an Executive Order is not the passing of a new law but issuing direction already given to the President/Government by Congress. When Congress passes a law, the bill passed will have delegated some decisions and discretion to Ministers or the President, just as Parliament does here. When Bush stopped funding for embyonic stem cell research using an EO, he was only able to do that because there was a law in place which said "The President or Secretary for Health shall decide..." just the same as Obama reinstated funding when he took office. When Bush was in power the Democrats in Congress tried to pass a bill funding research again which if passed would have overridden his EO. The same goes for Romney saying he will repeal "Obama care" using an EO and Truman desegregating the military using an EO, they can only do that with laws already in place. Obama couldn't just issue an Executive Order saying Americans must drive on the left instead of the right UNLESS there was a law in place which gave him the power to make the decision.

I knew all that but for some reason what I wrote came out wrong. It's funny what happens when you've been out of education for 3 months.
Original post by Hannahismee
I knew all that but for some reason what I wrote came out wrong. It's funny what happens when you've been out of education for 3 months.

I don't think it matters how long you've been out of education for, I do Economics/Mathematics not Politics and still knew that was total hogwash as it was done in a kind of A level exam style answer.
Original post by 122025278
I don't think it matters how long you've been out of education for, I do Economics/Mathematics not Politics and still knew that was total hogwash as it was done in a kind of A level exam style answer.

Maybe that's because I've just done A levels, Sorry if my inferior knowledge angers you.
The date of that article was a fortnight ago. We aren't all dead so I'm guessing it was just a drill :P
Reply 25
Original post by screenager2004
The date of that article was a fortnight ago. We aren't all dead so I'm guessing it was just a drill :P

or maybe that's what the lizards want you to think :zomg:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending