The Student Room Group

Eventually all the perfumes smell the same

I don't understand how people can afford to buy 5 different perfumes for their daily use. I mean they all start to smell the same at the end of the day, well they do to me specially when I go to shops to test them, they start smelling the same at the end of the day. Plus another thing they are expensive!! I would just invest on one good perfume like Dior or Channel that will last me for some time as the smell still lingers on.. What do u think
Me thinks you are talking nonsense.
Most people just use one fragrance at once? Otherwise there would be no point. I see what you mean though, if you had 5 scents on then they would just all mingle and it wouldn't necessarily be a nice one.

I don't know anyone who wears more than one at the same time, unless they are in the shop testing them, I doubt it's a widespread phenomenon (with people with sense anyway!)
Reply 3
Original post by balloon_parade
Most people just use one fragrance at once? Otherwise there would be no point. I see what you mean though, if you had 5 scents on then they would just all mingle and it wouldn't necessarily be a nice one.

I don't know anyone who wears more than one at the same time, unless they are in the shop testing them, I doubt it's a widespread phenomenon (with people with sense anyway!)

I think she means some people have lots of perfumes and wear different ones on different days, but that there's no point as they all smell the same anyway. Not that they wear lots at once :s-smilie:
Reply 4
Original post by ily_em
I think she means some people have lots of perfumes and wear different ones on different days, but that there's no point as they all smell the same anyway. Not that they wear lots at once :s-smilie:

Thanks! someones got my point. I think I should re phrase my sentence. You know what I mean rite. I have friends who do that, I would rather buy a nice dress with that money and just use 1 bottle of perfume :wink:
Original post by ily_em

Oh haha, I did think that was a bit strange!
I don't think all perfumes smell the same; some do, sure, but not all. I don't own many perfumes, and I think all that I do have been presents. Personally I would rather have one expensive perfume that I use all the time and is my "signature scent" if you like, rather than lots of cheaper ones I mix and match.
I have two different perfumes, one is more expensive then the other so I keep that for special occasions.
Reply 8
I really don't agree with this tbh, actually that's not just my opinion but an actual fact. Sure, some smell the same but many smell different and can convey different messages, such as being a fun, playful girl or if you're wearing a musky scent, maybe you're more of a sensual person. It may not be neccesarily the case, but to me fragrances are like clothes; essential to at least helping someone form a quick judgement of you.

I mean, you can't smell Givenchy's hot couture and D and G's light blue, both gorgeous scents for women and think that they smell anything alike.
Reply 9
At the end of the day
Reply 10
Original post by preeti4fashion
Thanks! someones got my point. I think I should re phrase my sentence. You know what I mean rite. I have friends who do that, I would rather buy a nice dress with that money and just use 1 bottle of perfume :wink:

But using like 5 different perfumes, you only use one of them once a week, whilst you use your one perfume 5 times a week (Going on the basis of Mon-Fri and you put it on everyday), thus you have to rebuy perfume more often than they do, and you end up spending about the same.
I have 4/5 perfumes that I switch between, and they all smell very different even after a few hours:
Chloe - it smells like roses to me
Armani Code EDP - it's a oriental sexy floral scent
Chanel Chance Eau Tendre - floral, light, girlie
Ghost the fragrance - Summery, fresh
Thierry Mugler Angel - to me it smells like some kind of spicy mix of chocolate/vanilla.

The difference between Angel and Chance is MASSIVE and you'd definitely notice it. I don't spend an extraordinary amount of money on perfumes, I tend to buy Eau Parfum so it lasts longer, and I usually share my perfumes with my mother. We only really buy them in duty free or on promotion, too.

Personally speaking I love perfume. I can be quite paranoid about what I smell like (even though I'm always told I smell lovely lol), and I like walking past someone and them asking what I'm wearing. Perfume is definitely a very personal thing! I personally hate the smell of certain perfumes, and all cheap body sprays. I tend to keep a mini bottle of perfume with me at all times.

You might be smelling very 'similar' style perfumes though. They can be categorised, broadly - say, floral, musky, oriental, whatever. You will get certain perfumes which have similar base notes. E.g.: Marc Jacobs 'Daisy' and Chanel Chance Eau Tendre, it's regularly said they're very similar. I still think you can smell the difference, but yes there is a base similarity. Or say, certain brands can smell quite similar. E.g.: I think Dior's perfumes all smell very alike although I can't quite put my finger on why, I think it's a floral thing? Armanis perfumes and colognes nearly always smell quite understated and elegant. Issey Miyake's smell quite fresh, etc.
(edited 12 years ago)
irrtts al about CHANEL 5 << amazing :wink:
Chanel No5-Winter
Marc Jacobs Daisy-Summer
DKNY Be Delicious-Summer
Versace Red Jeans- all the time.

Depends on my mood and they all smell completely different.
I agree. Better to have 1 or 2 high end perfumes that last longer.

Only buy EDP, not EDT

Quick Reply

Latest