The Student Room Group

German Writing Help

I'm doing my German GCSE early (Year 10), and I was just wondering what sort of vocabulary is needed for an A* grade.

Below is what I've written so far as my draft for the writing. It would be good if someone could read over it and tell me what I could change, or if something is correct. It isn't cheating to get help with a draft, is it?

The writing task description:

1. School
Write an article in German for a website to give information and your opinions about your school.

Write about 200 words in German and include the following:

Information about where your school is, what sort of school it is, the school day, school uniform, school subjects and extra-curricular activities.

What you think of the school and why.

Your dream school.

Mention a school trip that has recently taken place or something you did last year.

Talk about your primary school - teachers, uniform, comparison to [my school]

Details of some activities that you will do.

Diss High School ist eine Gesamtoberschule, die in der kleine Stadt Diss liegt. Sie ist eine ziemliche grosse Schule, mit etwa tausend zweihundert Schüler. Die Schulzeit beginnen um 8 Uhr dreizehn und dauern bis 3 Uhr fünfzehn. Alle Schüler tragen blauen Polohemden und schwarzen Hosen, jedoch dürfen Mädchen Röcke tragen, wenn sie wollen.

Die Schule bietet mehrere Fächer an, wie Deutsch, Geschichte und Technik. Auch kann man nach der Schule vielen Aktivität machen.

Diese Schule unterscheidet sich ein bisschen von meine alte Schule. Sie ist gut, aber es scheint mir, dass Fächer, wie Mathe, sind unterrichtet weniger gut, als Lynn Grove (meine alte Schule).

Oft denke ich nicht an eine Schule, die ich lieben würde. Eine Schule ist eine Schule, natürlich. Andererseits, vielleicht würder ich lieber an einer Schule teilnehmen, die auf mehr technologishen Fächer konzentriert.

In der 8. Klasse bin ich nach die Vereinigte Staaten gefahren. Dort lebte ich mit einer amerikanishen Familie, während ich mit meiner Klasse besuchte. Ich habe Hummer gegessen, und ein Baseballspiel angesehen. Ich habe ganz die Reise aufgenommen.

That's all I have for now, it's not finished. Jesus, it looks like I've written a lot less than I thought in text, rather than written on paper, although I seem to be working well to the word count. The parts in bold are parts I'm not too sure about, mostly because of worries that I use the wrong words, even if they literally mean the same thing according to my dictionary. Obviously there could be other mistakes.

I still think I need to add more detail. Can anyone suggest anything to help?

Thanks.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
bump
Original post by MangoFreak
bump

I'd love to help, but I can't correct in your text, as the text gets lost when I quote...
there are some mistakes.
Reply 3
Original post by AnonymusSister
I'd love to help, but I can't correct in your text, as the text gets lost when I quote...
there are some mistakes.

Just point them out if you can.
I'm doing my German GCSE early (Year 10), and I was just wondering what sort of vocabulary is needed for an A* grade.

Below is what I've written so far as my draft for the writing. It would be good if someone could read over it and tell me what I could change, or if something is correct. It isn't cheating to get help with a draft, is it?

The writing task description:

That's all I have for now, it's not finished. Jesus, it looks like I've written a lot less than I thought in text, rather than written on paper, although I seem to be working well to the word count. The parts in bold are parts I'm not too sure about, mostly because of worries that I use the wrong words, even if they literally mean the same thing according to my dictionary. Obviously there could be other mistakes.

I still think I need to add more detail. Can anyone suggest anything to help?

Thanks.

...die in der kleinen Stadt Diss liegt
...eine ziemlich_ grosse Schule..
...tausendzweihundert Schülern. Die Schulzeit beginnt um...und dauert bis...
...und schwarze_ Hosen,...
...viele_ Aktivitäten machen
...unterscheidet sich ein bisschen von meiner alten Schule...
...dass Fächer wie Mathe weniger gut unterrichtet werden
...die sich mehr auf technologische_ Fächer konzentriert.
...In der 8. Klasse bin ich in die Vereinigten Staaten gefahren.
...einer amerikanischen Familie, während ich mit meiner Klasse auf Besuch war.

That are the basic mistakes -but don't ask me why, I'm a native speaker and don't know any grammar...
And I hope it's not cheating.

You did not once use a wrong word, so you're really good at vocabulary. And the bold part was the only wrong one, but it was no wrong word, only a bit wrong expressed.

Good Luck with that :smile:
Reply 5
Diss High School ist eine Gesamtoberschule, die in der kleinen Stadt Diss liegt. Sie ist eine ziemlich grosse Schule, mit etwa 1200 Schülern. Die Schulzeit beginnt um 8:13 und dauert bis 3:15. Alle Schüler tragen blauen Polohemden und schwarzen Hosen, jedoch dürfen Mädchen Röcke tragen, wenn sie wollen.

Die Schule bietet mehrere Fächer an, wie Deutsch, Geschichte und Technik. Auch nach der Schule kann man vielen Aktivitäten machen.

Diese Schule unterscheidet sich ein bisschen von meiner alte Schule. Sie ist gut, aber es scheint mir, dass Fächer, wie Mathe, weniger gut unterrichtet werden als in Lynn Grove (meiner alten Schule).

Ich denke nicht oft an eine Schule, die ich lieben würde. Eine Schule ist eine Schule, natürlich. Andererseits, vielleicht würder ich lieber in eine Schule gehen die auf naturwissenschaftliche Fächer spezialisiert ist.
In der 8. Klasse bin ich in die Vereinigte Staaten gefahren. Dort lebte ich mit einer amerikanischen Familie, während ich mit meiner Klasse besuchte. Ich habe Hummer gegessen, und ein Baseballspiel angesehen. Ich habe ganz die Reise aufgenommen. ( last sentence makes no sense . It simply has no meaning )
Reply 6
Zahlen die größer als zwölf sind sollten grundsätzlich immer auch als solche niedergeschrieben werden . Macht den Text um einiges leichter :biggrin:
Reply 7
...die in der kleinen Stadt Diss liegt
...eine ziemlich_ grosse Schule..
...tausendzweihundert Schülern. Die Schulzeit beginnt um...und dauert bis...
...und schwarze_ Hosen,...
...viele_ Aktivitäten machen
...unterscheidet sich ein bisschen von meiner alten Schule...
...dass Fächer wie Mathe weniger gut unterrichtet werden
...die sich mehr auf technologische_ Fächer konzentriert.
...In der 8. Klasse bin ich in die Vereinigten Staaten gefahren.
...einer amerikanischen Familie, während ich mit meiner Klasse auf Besuch war.

That are the basic mistakes -but don't ask me why, I'm a native speaker and don't know any grammar...
And I hope it's not cheating.

You did not once use a wrong word, so you're really good at vocabulary. And the bold part was the only wrong one, but it was no wrong word, only a bit wrong expressed.

Good Luck with that :smile:

Rofl, I think a few of them were just typos on my part. It would be horrific to me if I actually did spell "sch" as "sh".

Thanks for the bold part, I thought as I was typing it here that it should be that, but I wasn't sure, so I thought I'd see. :biggrin:

Those endings are a bugger, I need to read up on them. I always think I've got them down, then I make mistakes, lol. :tongue:

Oh, and "auf Besuch war." That's one I never would have even thought to use, so thanks for that. I never know when to use a verb or to use the noun form of the verb (I hope that makes sense).

:biggrin: Thanks!
Reply 8
Original post by Durido
Zahlen die größer als zwölf sind sollten grundsätzlich immer auch als solche niedergeschrieben werden . Macht den Text um einiges leichter :biggrin:

I have no idea what you said, but thanks a bunch! :biggrin:

EDIT: Ah, right. Yeah, I suppose I should. I just do it because sometimes I forget how to pronounce numbers :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Durido
last sentence makes no sense . It simply has no meaning )

Ah. Right. Thanks, I'll have to check that. I guess constructing sentences from a dictionary doesn't always work. Tell me, how do I say "I filmed the whole trip."?

My dictionary said the verb for film was aufnehmen, and another one I think said it was just filmen, but I wasn't sure so I went with the one I was using at the time.

Is it wrong that I found it hilarious that I managed to write a sentence with no meaning?

EDIT: should it be "Ich habe die ganze Reise aufgenommen/gefilmt", or something along those lines?
(edited 12 years ago)
I have no idea what you said, but thanks a bunch! :biggrin:

Figures bigger than 12 are written as such (words to that effect)
Ah. Right. Thanks, I'll have to check that. I guess constructing sentences from a dictionary doesn't always work. Tell me, how do I say "I filmed the whole trip."?

My dictionary said the verb for film was aufnehmen, and another one I think said it was just filmen, but I wasn't sure so I went with the one I was using at the time.

Is it wrong that I found it hilarious that I managed to write a sentence with no meaning?

EDIT: should it be "Ich habe die ganze Reise aufgenommen/gefilmt", or something along those lines?

I knew what you meant. "Ich habe die ganze Reise gefilmt."
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
ow ........sorry error on my part there :biggrin: .......gefilmt is better . Aufgenommen is an old term.
Reply 13
Original post by Durido
ow ........sorry error on my part there :biggrin: .......gefilmt is better . Aufgenommen is an old term.

It's fine, lol. My dictionary lists it as "to record".
Reply 14
I knew what you meant. "Ich habe die ganze Reise gefilmt."

Ok, thanks. I use dictionary examples quite a lot, I often seem to be lacking in knowledge of how to use some words.

Also, could you back up what Durido corrected? I'd just like to know if his changes would make it sound better or not. Obviously I can't always be sure. Native speakers often make mistakes in language that foreigners don't. :smile:

EDIT: Who negged me for THIS? Seriously?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Durido
Diss High School ist eine Gesamtoberschule, die in der kleinen Stadt Diss liegt. Sie ist eine ziemlich grosse Schule, mit etwa 1200 Schülern. Die Schulzeit beginnt um 8:13 und dauert bis 3:15. Alle Schüler tragen blaue_(no n) Polohemden und schwarze_ (no n) Hosen, jedoch dürfen Mädchen Röcke tragen, wenn sie wollen.

Die Schule bietet mehrere Fächer an, wie Deutsch, Geschichte und Technik. Auch nach der Schule kann man vielen Aktivitäten nachgehen. (you would not say "after school one can do a lot of activities", you prbbly rather say "after school one can engage in a lot of activities" -or so (?)

Diese Schule unterscheidet sich ein bisschen von meiner alte Schule. Sie ist gut, aber es scheint mir, dass Fächer, wie Mathe, weniger gut unterrichtet werden als in Lynn Grove (meiner alten Schule).

Ich denke nicht oft an eine Schule, die ich lieben würde. Eine Schule ist eine Schule, natürlich. Andererseits, vielleicht würder ich lieber in eine Schule gehen die auf naturwissenschaftliche Fächer spezialisiert ist.
In der 8. Klasse bin ich in die Vereinigte Staaten gefahren. Dort lebte ich mit einer amerikanischen Familie, während ich mit meiner Klasse (would be good to meantion the city t.ex. Maine )besuchte. Ich habe Hummer gegessen, und ein Baseballspiel angesehen. Ich habe ganz die Reise gefilmt )

...'während ich mit meiner Klasse CityX besuchte' -or 'während ich mit meiner Klasse (in cityx) auf Besuch war.'

THIS I do back up.

Edit: I do know the prob when looking up a word in a dictionary and then having to choose one of 5 to 10 possible, and not knowing which will be best, ok, or totally wrong.

EDIT 2: hope you're ok now, as I'm going to sleep, it's 23.19 where I am. Good night.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
...'während ich mit meiner Klasse CityX besuchte' -or 'während ich mit meiner Klasse (in cityx) auf Besuch war.'

THIS I do back up.

Edit: I do know the prob when looking up a word in a dictionary and then having to choose one of 5 to 10 possible, and not knowing which will be best, ok, or totally wrong.

EDIT 2: hope you're ok now, as I'm going to sleep, it's 23.19 where I am. Good night.

Right, thanks. Good night. If you see this later, do you mean that either "besuchte" or "auf Besuch war" would be correct? Thanks.
Right, thanks. Good night. If you see this later, do you mean that either "besuchte" or "auf Besuch war" would be correct? Thanks.

got stucks at creative corner's poems, but bed now!
if you use 'besuchte' you need to use the city/place (otherswise no sense), so

'während ich mit meiner Klasse New York besuchte' or
'während ich mit meiner Klasse auf Besuch war' or 'während ich mit meiner Klasse in New York war.

good night.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending