Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Fancy Dress - Questions, advice, cheap solutions, themes

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t1gger123)
    any ideas on how i could do fred flintstone?
    Well it depends on your budget but very basically, a big orange top, then either draw on or stick on the black shapes. Then just get either a normal blue tie or maybe a blue scarf would be better.

If you have a bit more of a budget try making the orange bit with some cheap orange material and also making the tie part.

If you need shoes I suggest flipflops x
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, me and a friend are thinking of doing Holmes and Watson for a party - I'm talking about the Downey Jr style Holmes, ie no deerstalkers! An ideas for clothes and where to get em cheap?
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suggsina)
    Hey guys, me and a friend are thinking of doing Holmes and Watson for a party - I'm talking about the Downey Jr style Holmes, ie no deerstalkers! An ideas for clothes and where to get em cheap?
    How about this?

Holmes and Watson

The advantage of something like that is that it's less "heavy" than a three piece suit for Watson.

For Holmes, I'd say that a waistcoat and (neck)tie with a shirt would be OK as a starting point. Bowler hat optional, of course.

I'd have a look in charity shops and see what you can find - chances are there'll be something that looks relatively well-worn, just like Holmes wears. :p:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Just found out the theme for a social I'm going to tomorrow night is 'pub golf'. I've managed to get someone to lend me a golf visor but I have no idea what to wear otherwise, so need suggestions for top/bottoms. I have jeans or either a plain grey or red tartan skirt I could wear, but the only vaguely golf-y top I've got is a black/grey tartan shirt with black sleeveless vest combo (looks like two tops but is actually one).

Ideally I don't want to spend any money (although I'm going to check charity shops in the morning for a polo shirt or something) but if I can't find anything do you think the clothes I've already got would work?

Help!!
    • 153 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 26daystoworkwith)
    Just found out the theme for a social I'm going to tomorrow night is 'pub golf'. I've managed to get someone to lend me a golf visor but I have no idea what to wear otherwise, so need suggestions for top/bottoms. I have jeans or either a plain grey or red tartan skirt I could wear, but the only vaguely golf-y top I've got is a black/grey tartan shirt with black sleeveless vest combo (looks like two tops but is actually one).

Ideally I don't want to spend any money (although I'm going to check charity shops in the morning for a polo shirt or something) but if I can't find anything do you think the clothes I've already got would work?

Help!!
    To be honest that shirt sounds fine, with a grey skirt and long socks. Perfect pub golf. Normally I end up in plaid shorts, long socks and V neck jumper
    • 153 followers

ReputationRep:
    So I've got a war time/40s themed party coming up and I was thinking of going as a land girl (hair tied up with scarf, flowery blouse and dungarees) only problem is I don't own dungarees and don't want to spend a lot of money on something I'm only going to wear for fancy dress.

What do people think of these:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-WOMENS...ht_5637wt_1189

And then I could cut off the top bit and wear them as shorts afterwards?

If not, what other easy 40s looks could I do?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    You could probably just wear those with blouse, headscarf thing etc without cutting them up, would like fine really.

Alternatively, an SS trooper, but that's of arguable ethics
    • 153 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robo donkey)
    You could probably just wear those with blouse, headscarf thing etc without cutting them up, would like fine really.

Alternatively, an SS trooper, but that's of arguable ethics
    Oh I wouldn't cut them up for the party, but afterwards so I could wear them as normal shorts. In the end though I found an old shirt dress which I can use!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I misread you, my bad, sounds a cool outfit though, it's actually original, which I approve of greatly
    • 153 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robo donkey)
    I misread you, my bad, sounds a cool outfit though, it's actually original, which I approve of greatly
    I try and stick to originality (I mainly make my own fancy dress outfits!)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey i have a fancy dress party coming up, and i have no idea what to go as?
    This is for a girl, and i dont want to spend too much on the outfit?
    any ideas for a pair aswell?
    Thanks
    xox
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Get a friend, tie some string to your arms or whatever and go as a washing line.
    Works best when the string is really long and you stand way apart. Drunk people don't notice and hit it and it's just funny...

Or cut a hole in a sheet and go as a ghost.
    • 45 followers

ReputationRep:
    What is the theme??

I would say strawberries I think me and my mates editted it for £15
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Literally just made my own pikachu costume, it is unbelieveably awesome fur ears, cardboard tail and everything WOO
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just found out that not the coming Saturday, but the Saturday after, I'm going clubbing in fancy dress.
    There's no theme as of yet, but I've got no idea what to go as.
    I have a Captain America costume but it's not really clubbing sexy.

Is Ann Summers any good for costumes?
    I don't mind spending a fair bit, because I'm sure I'll get re use out of it, for Uni, etc.

I 'spose if I can't find anything last minute, I can go as a schoolgirl or a teacher. I have a black mini skirt, heels, a white blouse and a black bandeau top. I can always find a tie and wear some fake glasses?
    • 153 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danielleL)
    Just found out that not the coming Saturday, but the Saturday after, I'm going clubbing in fancy dress.
    There's no theme as of yet, but I've got no idea what to go as.
    I have a Captain America costume but it's not really clubbing sexy.

Is Ann Summers any good for costumes?
    I don't mind spending a fair bit, because I'm sure I'll get re use out of it, for Uni, etc.

I 'spose if I can't find anything last minute, I can go as a schoolgirl or a teacher. I have a black mini skirt, heels, a white blouse and a black bandeau top. I can always find a tie and wear some fake glasses?
    Some of Ann Summer's costumes are amazing :yep: others are just too slutty!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I've looked on the site.
    I'm just scared no nightclubs will let us in.
    I've seen people clubbing in costumes (every week in my town there's a gaggle of Wallys from Where's Wally, and last week I saw some girls dressed as sexy Disney princesses) but I'm scared I'll take it to the extreme, haha.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Any ideas for costumes for a fancy dress.

Also does anyone know the actual name of this theme for fancy dress?

an example would be going as lostprophets, so you turn up as prophets who are lost etccc
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Queen, Beatles, Daft Punk, and Gorrilaz come to mind as easy costumes
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I like daft punk, thats a good one.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 29, 2014
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.