The Student Room Group

Volunteer with ChildLine

Hey guy's, basically I just got accepted onto a taining course with childline to work as a volunteer telephone counsellor. Has anyone done this/known someone who has done this? Any advice on how difficult the role is?

My main reasons for doing this are:
1. I want to make a positive contribution;
2. I have a seven year old sister and it kills me to think there are kids suffering out there and need help, so I want to do my bit to help.
3. I will be going into social work as a career (once i get accepted onto and complete my MA in social work)

No smart answers please!:cool:

Also I am going through the recuitment process to become a Special Constable with Greater Manchester Police so any advice on this too would be great!
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am a volunteer counselor for Childline, and have been since earlier this year.

Firstly, well done for passing the interview and application stage, this isn't as easy as people would think!

Its such an amazing environment to work in and the satisfaction that your helping young people is amazing.

Have you taken the fast-track or week by week training? I did the fast track and found it full on and very emotionally draining. Be yourself during this, and don't try to hard to take in all the knowledge they give you. At the end of the training you'll find that its all inside your mind! My training group only had 6 people in and our trainers were really supportive, its definitely not boring! There will be plenty of activities and hands on experiences to get you feeling ready for answering your first calls!

Your reasons for wanting to volunteer shall be similar to most people who volunteer/work for Childline. Its a real wake up call when you learn about the problems and experiences young people face in today's world, but if anything - it makes you want to help even more!

I wish you the best of luck with your training and really hope you enjoy it, you'll certainly make some new friends along the way!
(edited 12 years ago)
How can I apply to be a volunteer for childline? Well done for getting accepted!
Reply 3
http://www.nspcc.org.uk/get-involved/volunteer-your-time/childline-volunteering/Volunteer-for-ChildLine_wdh73075.html

There's the link to find out more about volunteering.

All you need is the passion to support young people, and a clear CRB check which they will provide if your application/ interview is successful!
Reply 4
Hi all, does anyone know what being a switchboard volunteer is like?
Reply 5
Original post by Jekilla
Hi all, does anyone know what being a switchboard volunteer is like?

You basically just say hello and then divert call. You have very little contact, maybe less than 30 seconds. You get little training in this role as it does not require any counselling etc.. It is still a vital role and would suit those not up for taking some of the 'deep' calls.
Reply 6
Original post by BCUciaran
You basically just say hello and then divert call. You have very little contact, maybe less than 30 seconds. You get little training in this role as it does not require any counselling etc.. It is still a vital role and would suit those not up for taking some of the 'deep' calls.

Thanks :smile: Yeah I'm not sure if I would be up for handling the deep and serious calls, to begin with anyway, so was hoping to get a switchboard volunteer role then see how I go from there.

Thanks for the info :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by BCUciaran
Hey guy's, basically I just got accepted onto a taining course with childline to work as a volunteer telephone counsellor. Has anyone done this/known someone who has done this? Any advice on how difficult the role is?

My main reasons for doing this are:
1. I want to make a positive contribution;
2. I have a seven year old sister and it kills me to think there are kids suffering out there and need help, so I want to do my bit to help.
3. I will be going into social work as a career (once i get accepted onto and complete my MA in social work)

No smart answers please!:cool:

Also I am going through the recuitment process to become a Special Constable with Greater Manchester Police so any advice on this too would be great!

Congrats on getting through to the training course. I too am a volunteer counsellor and love it. It will most definitely help with social work training as well as looking impressive on your application. The training programme is very thorough and well supported. Good luck!!

One question; are you able to be a special constable as well as Childline counsellor? I thought I was told police officers not being able to volunteer due to the legalities of the Children's Act and Childline having an exemption to the law (maybe being a special is different?).
Reply 8
Original post by Jekilla
Thanks :smile: Yeah I'm not sure if I would be up for handling the deep and serious calls, to begin with anyway, so was hoping to get a switchboard volunteer role then see how I go from there.

Thanks for the info :smile:

I did the switchboard role initially. It gives you a feel of being in the counselling room as well as actually speaking to young people (albeit very briefly).
Reply 9
Original post by LondonMinx
Congrats on getting through to the training course. I too am a volunteer counsellor and love it. It will most definitely help with social work training as well as looking impressive on your application. The training programme is very thorough and well supported. Good luck!!

One question; are you able to be a special constable as well as Childline counsellor? I thought I was told police officers not being able to volunteer due to the legalities of the Children's Act and Childline having an exemption to the law (maybe being a special is different?).

Something to look into. I was unaware of all of this. I hope the SC is different.:confused:
Hello guys I am also a Childline counsellor and also a trained interviewer for Childline recruitment. I have been with Childline for 3 years and I love the role. I find it rewarding to be able to listen and empower so many young people. I also found it invaluable experience as I too want to be a social worker and just got accepted into Goldsmiths university to do my Masters in Social Work. In all the university interviews that I went to, when I mentioned I a counsellor for Childline they were very impressed. So I would say go for it! All the supervisors and other counsellors on my shift are extremely supportive and I have learnt so much. Also after you complete the initial training, there a topic specific workshops you can attend all of which are very interesting. Good luck with your application and training
Reply 11
Hi... I has anyone got any helpful advice for the interview for this ... I have a group interview soon.. and I am panicing and nervouse.
I have applied for the email volunteering counsellor role.. What do they make you do in the group interview?.. and what are they looking for when you are in groups? and also do they do a one to one interview too? And what type of questions do they ask.

Thanks
Original post by Crishanthi
Hello guys I am also a Childline counsellor and also a trained interviewer for Childline recruitment. I have been with Childline for 3 years and I love the role. I find it rewarding to be able to listen and empower so many young people. I also found it invaluable experience as I too want to be a social worker and just got accepted into Goldsmiths university to do my Masters in Social Work. In all the university interviews that I went to, when I mentioned I a counsellor for Childline they were very impressed. So I would say go for it! All the supervisors and other counsellors on my shift are extremely supportive and I have learnt so much. Also after you complete the initial training, there a topic specific workshops you can attend all of which are very interesting. Good luck with your application and training

Im interested in volunteering to be a counsellor but have had a past of mental health issues. I dont see an issue but do you see this as an issue regarding the interview process (thats the only thing im nervous about)
Reply 13
I did the volunteer training but failed unfortunately. Counselling is extremely open ended and the skills required are very different from the typical skills which would be required in an exam or an interview. Yes, they have role play, but I feel that it is by no means enough eg. 10 minutes over 6 to 8 weeks, and I didn't feel equipped with the resources which were just notes on how to deal with different types of calls. When you're stuck up there in a practical shift, you have to know what to do and how to react, but that's something I didn't know how to do.
I may participate in the volunteer training again but I don't know what I would do differently. I suppose it's a skill which I may learn gradually over a long time.
Hi, I too am interested in volunteering for Childline.
The only problem I have is that I don't live close to any of there centres, is it possible to volunteer from home on the phone?
Thank you!
Reply 15
Like to u halping
There is no apostrophe in
Reply 17
I have recenetly applied for childine I have had my vlouteering meeting but was going to ask coz I got arrested when I was 18 and got charge would that stop me from working for childine when it shows up on the check they gonna do
Reply 18
Original post by tabbey
I have recenetly applied for childine I have had my vlouteering meeting but was going to ask coz I got arrested when I was 18 and got charge would that stop me from working for childine when it shows up on the check they gonna do

I believe it would depend on what you got arrested for.
If you clear the safeguarding check I think you should be fine.
Reply 19
Original post by lucydochertyxx
Hi, I too am interested in volunteering for Childline.
The only problem I have is that I don't live close to any of there centres, is it possible to volunteer from home on the phone?
Thank you!

From my understanding it is not possible to volunteer as a counsellor or switchboarder from home as all calls from service users are received through the phones at Childline centres.
It might be possible to fundraise in areas without a centre however you would need to check if this is possible in your area.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending