The Student Room Group

a2 physics

going through a few past papers for my physics paper four tomorrow and im getting stuck. If anyone can help i'll post a few questions up here.
Here's the one im currently stuck on:

The transformer in the photograph has one coil with 32 turns of thick wire, and the other with 512 turns of thin wire. Either coil can be the primary. with the other being the secondary. Describe the function of the transformer when the 512 - turn coil is the primary.
Reply 1
also another question:

Suggest a reason why the core is made of thin laminated sheets of soft iron.

as you can see, im not up to scratch on em induction:s-smilie:
Reply 2
the function is probably as a step down transformer-because there are much less turns in the coil than the primary, If you use the equation for a transformer you can find out how much the voltage will be lowered. I can't remember all this stuff really either and i've got an exam tomoz too! ahhh I don't know half the syllabus! what exam board you doing?

--------------

it will be laminated to prevent eddy currents and soft iron is usually used because it gains and loses magnetism easily and quickly so when the electric supply is turned off, the core stops acting as an electromagnet.if you used steel it would retain its magnetism for a while when turned off, also when the current is being reversed because it is alternating the steel would retain its magnetism in one direction. that probably made no sense!
Reply 3
please this is urgent now, thanks for above btw

How does a capicitor store energy, i will give rep for this
Reply 4
Ok i aint too sure on dis so 4give me if im wrong lol
When a capacitor is connected to a source of voltage(p.d),electrons flow from the negative end of the supply to one plate,which gains negative charge -Q, and electrons are repelled from the other plate,whic is left with positive charge +Q . The capacitor is said to store Q coulombs of carge
ok thats is lol

Latest