The Student Room Group

Uni Mind ****, Help me please!

Hi there

I've recently started studying (BSc) Computer Network management and design. I ****ing hate it, I hate everything about it. I cant switch courses becuase I've got a national diploma in ICT. If I had a choice I'd go into psychology, but I can so I may as well forget that shiz.

I'm so tempted to say **** it all, work for a year non stop and go traveling economy style for as long as possible. I really feel like my options are gone, or I've missed them. An unbelievable feeling of entrapment is flowing through my head and I ****ing hate it.

It makes me feel like no one else has ever felt the same way becuase i'm not going with the masses and it disturbs the **** out of me. Does anyone out there feel the same way? and does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do?

I've lived in the same county in England all my live, the furthest I've ever gone is ****ing cardiff and I'm TWENTY years old. I jsut feel like I need to travel, I need to see things. My mind is ****ed, screw studying psychology, I need a ****ing psychologist.

If anyone made any sense of the **** that jsut came out my head please comment

love,

Dan
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Well... you could drop out and reapply? Would be difficult as I don't think student finance always give you another loan, but if you really don't like the course it may be worth it.
And stop swearing :smile: It helps no one.

I'd say talk to someone in your uni, your advisor or student support. You can maybe take a year out and it shouldnt affect your loan status - maybe if you've had time to think about it you can try again later.
My favourite part was 'love, Dan'...

I guess you might have to consider reapplying, and if you want to travel, work for the rest of this year and travel for a month or so before you start again? Find people to talk to, they're there for support and are usually surprisingly nice about it, especially if you don't swear at them lots :smile:

Edit: Not sure what you could reapply to do, rereading your post... maybe this is where advisors could help? Sort through your options? They might know about some you're not aware of.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
I've already delayed Uni by 2 years, gap year and from switching college courses (you may have guessed already that I have no idea what the hell I want to do with my life), if I took another year out wouldnt be able to make myself come back, I feel like I'm either going to stick it out for 3 years or drop and and do something else. I talked to the student support and as I dont have the appropriate qualifications to go into psychology as I've got a BTEC National Diploma in ICT (only went into it becuase of my brother and uncle) The more I think about it the more I realise I don't even know what I like or want to do. So confused.

Thanks alot for the feedback, It's really appriciated, honestly.
Reply 5
Lmao yeah I'll try and keep my lanuage under wrapps. I'm really unsure where to go here. Portsmouth University have a million and one contact numbers that keep refering me to other people.
I jsut want to talk to someone face to face with someone that understands but I cant seem to find the help :frown:
This problem has likely been caused by you going with the tide, rather than probing yourself for what you really want to do. I would advise you to first break this pattern and quit your course if you really hate it that much. It will be scary if all you're used to doing is 'going with the masses', but when it comes to the big decisions it's usually the scariest options that are the most worthwhile in the long run.

Perhaps you could work until you have your head straight and sign up for an Access course?
Reply 7
I'm loving my applied psychology course, especially the statistics :biggrin:.
Reply 8
I liked the part where you said '****'
Reply 9
Thanks Turbo, I feel like thats helped alot.
I guess I can always come back to uni even when i'm an old man.
Reply 10
If your doing CISCO i wish you luck, I hated the course with passion <3
Reply 11
OP what's ****?

Can you write it clearly so we all understand?
First, you might get more feedback if you quote people for replies - we don't all come back and look through past threads.

Second, go have a look at this site: http://www.port.ac.uk/careersandrecruitment/toplinks/contactus/appointmentswithacareersadviser/ <- it's the one for changing your course. It specifically says, phone this number and talk to a careers advisor. Keep doing it until you feel satisfied, or until you know what you want to do.

If you really don't know, then go work. Don't stick it out on a course you hate just for the degree. You can always get one later. A friend of mine stuck it out for a year and a half before she gave up and admitted she hated it.

Finally, if you do think you can stick it out, have a look at postgrad routes into careers you like. But, most importantly, talk to your careers service. I promise you, it's not as uncommon as it sounds.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending