The Student Room Group

Debenhams Thread

Scroll to see replies

Yay, I passed and have a 2hour group and individual interview tomorrow, which I'm incredibly nervous about.
Anyhoo, for the phone intweview I was asked basic questions about what was put on my application, such as my most recient past job, if I was still working there, and if I was going to leave and why, and about any criminal records. I was then asked about any relevant experience I had, retail experience is best. About what I expect the job will entail. Why do I want to work at Debenhams. About customer service, and what would I expect it to be, and how I would give good customer service.
Don't worry about the phone interview too much, they're really nice, and give you time to reply. They got back to me really quickly too, as they phoned me the next day to say I passed. But if you've been waiting a week or so, don't worry, as I was one of the last people to have my phone Interview.
If anyone has had their "proper" interview, what happened in the group bit, and any helpers would be great!
Reply 41
Original post by icnthelpit

Yay, I passed and have a 2hour group and individual interview tomorrow, which I'm incredibly nervous about.
Anyhoo, for the phone intweview I was asked basic questions about what was put on my application, such as my most recient past job, if I was still working there, and if I was going to leave and why, and about any criminal records. I was then asked about any relevant experience I had, retail experience is best. About what I expect the job will entail. Why do I want to work at Debenhams. About customer service, and what would I expect it to be, and how I would give good customer service.
Don't worry about the phone interview too much, they're really nice, and give you time to reply. They got back to me really quickly too, as they phoned me the next day to say I passed. But if you've been waiting a week or so, don't worry, as I was one of the last people to have my phone Interview.
If anyone has had their "proper" interview, what happened in the group bit, and any helpers would be great!

I've got my 2 hour assessment tomorrow and I'm nervous as hell! I made another thread about help for the assessment day and a lot of people have given me some good advice :smile: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1795062

and to Tara09 I'm applying for the Stockport store.
Thankyou for the link! :biggrin:
And Tara09 I'm applying to Canterbury :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by whattheheck

Original post by whattheheck
They are both perfect! But for the second one, don't mention that you became nervous! Just say that she was acting quite rude and was obviously disgruntled.

Good luck, AGAIN! Lol. I'm sure you will be absolutely fine!

Had my assessment and interview today, it wasn't as nerve racking as I thought It'd be and in the interview she asked if I found the day alright and I told her I was dreading the thought of the 'selling' exercise coming up and she laughed and said that's the old way they use to do assessments. Not sure if that's Debenhams as a whole or just the Stockport store.

The questions were pretty simple and I'm suprised I didn't get asked anything specifically about the store like the beauty club or the store card.

For anyone reading this who has an assessment coming up I had to write my name on a name card and stick it in front of me, then in pairs we had to come up with 3 good and 3 bad points about shopping on the high street, then we had to pick words for each letter of CUSTOMER FOCUS, then we individually did the 'wow' and 'rescue' exercise and then went in for the one on one interview. :smile:

I'm not really feeling to confident on getting the job but either way *fingers crossed* :smile:

So thanks everyone who helped especially whattheheck :smile:
Original post by xDivax90x
Had my assessment and interview today, it wasn't as nerve racking as I thought It'd be and in the interview she asked if I found the day alright and I told her I was dreading the thought of the 'selling' exercise coming up and she laughed and said that's the old way they use to do assessments. Not sure if that's Debenhams as a whole or just the Stockport store.

The questions were pretty simple and I'm suprised I didn't get asked anything specifically about the store like the beauty club or the store card.

For anyone reading this who has an assessment coming up I had to write my name on a name card and stick it in front of me, then in pairs we had to come up with 3 good and 3 bad points about shopping on the high street, then we had to pick words for each letter of CUSTOMER FOCUS, then we individually did the 'wow' and 'rescue' exercise and then went in for the one on one interview. :smile:

I'm not really feeling to confident on getting the job but either way *fingers crossed* :smile:

So thanks everyone who helped especially whattheheck :smile:

Hey!

Glad it went well!

:crossedf: I'm sure you will be fine!
Reply 45
Glad it went well, you got the same day I had.

They left a voicemail on my mobile 3 days after though not sure if this is to say I got the job or haven't !!!

Good luck :smile:
Reply 46
I have my assessment day tomorrow morning, thanks for all the help on this thread. I let everyone know how my one goes. Im a little bit nervous but im making sure im quite prepared.
:blushing:
Reply 47
I have an interview assessment tomorrow at 5 and i am so so nervous! i think i'll be good at the ice breakers, generally talking/listening in a group, its just the selling products and some people have mentioned thats the old assessment and some say its not so im worried none the less about that! also about the wows and rescues what kind of things did you point out? and what kind of facts did you right about yourselves as apart of the ice breakerS?

thanks!
Hi every one, thank u every one for this thread, i had my assessment today, i don't know it went well or not cause didn't have a feedback, although i know i could,ve done better then i have done, but want to share with every one what happened during my stay there, may be could be of any help for someone,
I was one minute late :-( hope they wont consider this.
first of all we were given forms about hours in a week, to mark days and times when we are available.
Second we were made in to pairs to write down three likes and three dislikes about shopping experience on the high street.
third were sent to store floors with of managers available there to see how things were, basically we were ask to take notes in mind or could use the paper is well about how every one was working at that floor.
We went back to the assessment room and every one said what they saw down there.
Then there was a final group activity which included making words out to letters, for which we had two words.
and finally individual interview,
which included formal questions like criminal offence eligibility to work etc.
other questions i was asked were
who are debs competitors
what make us different from others
how can you relate any of your experience can benefit your this job
share when last did you enjoy some very good shopping experience
if i have missed any thing i ll add in when remembers, things weren't that scary as most of us would expect ladies there were quite nice and over all it was good, wish i get the job,,,,,,,,:-)) wish the luck for every one...
Reply 49
Original post by shininglikestar
Hi every one, thank u every one for this thread, i had my assessment today, i don't know it went well or not cause didn't have a feedback, although i know i could,ve done better then i have done, but want to share with every one what happened during my stay there, may be could be of any help for someone,
I was one minute late :-( hope they wont consider this.
first of all we were given forms about hours in a week, to mark days and times when we are available.
Second we were made in to pairs to write down three likes and three dislikes about shopping experience on the high street.
third were sent to store floors with of managers available there to see how things were, basically we were ask to take notes in mind or could use the paper is well about how every one was working at that floor.
We went back to the assessment room and every one said what they saw down there.
Then there was a final group activity which included making words out to letters, for which we had two words.
and finally individual interview,
which included formal questions like criminal offence eligibility to work etc.
other questions i was asked were
who are debs competitors
what make us different from others
how can you relate any of your experience can benefit your this job
share when last did you enjoy some very good shopping experience
if i have missed any thing i ll add in when remembers, things weren't that scary as most of us would expect ladies there were quite nice and over all it was good, wish i get the job,,,,,,,,:-)) wish the luck for every one...

thank you so much for this! hope you get the job! just wondering what you answered for your last good shopping experience and also what makes debs different, thank u!
Reply 50
Original post by soconzo

Original post by soconzo
I have an interview assessment tomorrow at 5 and i am so so nervous! i think i'll be good at the ice breakers, generally talking/listening in a group, its just the selling products and some people have mentioned thats the old assessment and some say its not so im worried none the less about that! also about the wows and rescues what kind of things did you point out? and what kind of facts did you right about yourselves as apart of the ice breakerS? thanks!

I mentioned the 'selling' task in my one on one interview and the woman said that's the old way we use to do our assessments. Now that was the Stockport Store, not sure if she meant Debenhams as a whole or just that one store and for the wows and rescues I noticed that 1 or 2 of the tags on clothing were unreadable the ink must of ran out in the machine, just if you notice anything out of place write it down as a rescue and wows just say the signs are bold and eye catching. It's pretty simple, I was nervous and stressed out for nothing, you'll get in there and you'll just feel fine. :smile:

Good luck!
Original post by soconzo
thank you so much for this! hope you get the job! just wondering what you answered for your last good shopping experience and also what makes debs different, thank u!

i had to quickly come up with the answer for good shopping experience which i said about visiting perfume shop a while ago where the lady had such good skills to figure out what i would like to purchase by just asking about my current favourites, i was quite pleased with that. and i thought answer to other question could be debs offering so much under one roof, i counted some of them like i said they do every thing from clothing to your finance management which is like cards and insurances etc, i think i forgot to say one thing which you can add in is their online service. i hope we get the job:smile:
Had my assessment/interview this morning.

For the group interview, we each had to tell a truth and a lie about ourself to the rest of the group and they had to guess which was the truth and which was the lie. We were then given the task where we had to think of 3 good points and 3 bad points of shopping on the high street, we were supposed to do it in pairs but as there was an odd number we each did it on our own. We then had to feed back to the group. The interviewers said afterwards that they did the task so we'd remember these things if we got the job, so for the good things say stuff like staff that are friendly and helpful, good product availability, a well presented shop etc, for bad things say overbearing staff, staff that ignore you/look bored, an untidy shop etc.
Then we got into two large groups and had to think of words for each letter of CUSTOMER FOCUS and write them down on a big poster. We then stood up as a group and explained our choices.

For the one on one interview, I was asked questions about my eligibility, the hours I could work and my experience/what I was doing atm.
I was then asked
- why do you want to work for debenhams?
- what makes you suitable for this role?
- who are debenhams main competitors? what makes us stand out from them?
- what will you expect to be doing as part of your role? on this one make sure you mention making customers aware of the instore ordering service, the beauty club and the account card (the interviewer seemed really impressed that I mentioned these things)
- how would you help a customer in the store?
- describe an example of excellent customer service you have experienced?
- give an example of when you have sold to a customer?
- an example of working under pressure?
- an example of when you have taken responsibility rather than waiting for someone else to help?
- an example of working to a deadline?
- examples of when you have worked in a team?
- how would you make yourself part of the team?

I think they asked a few other questions but my mind has gone blank now lol. The whole morning was quite relaxed so to anyone who is worrying - don't! Just remember to fully participate in group tasks, make eye contact, smile, be chatty etc.

Got a call a few hours after the interview saying I've got the job :smile: Good luck to anyone who has an assessment coming up!
Reply 53
Original post by Shockolate

Original post by Shockolate
Had my assessment/interview this morning.

For the group interview, we each had to tell a truth and a lie about ourself to the rest of the group and they had to guess which was the truth and which was the lie. We were then given the task where we had to think of 3 good points and 3 bad points of shopping on the high street, we were supposed to do it in pairs but as there was an odd number we each did it on our own. We then had to feed back to the group. The interviewers said afterwards that they did the task so we'd remember these things if we got the job, so for the good things say stuff like staff that are friendly and helpful, good product availability, a well presented shop etc, for bad things say overbearing staff, staff that ignore you/look bored, an untidy shop etc.
Then we got into two large groups and had to think of words for each letter of CUSTOMER FOCUS and write them down on a big poster. We then stood up as a group and explained our choices.

For the one on one interview, I was asked questions about my eligibility, the hours I could work and my experience/what I was doing atm.
I was then asked
- why do you want to work for debenhams?
- what makes you suitable for this role?
- who are debenhams main competitors? what makes us stand out from them?
- what will you expect to be doing as part of your role? on this one make sure you mention making customers aware of the instore ordering service, the beauty club and the account card (the interviewer seemed really impressed that I mentioned these things)
- how would you help a customer in the store?
- describe an example of excellent customer service you have experienced?
- give an example of when you have sold to a customer?
- an example of working under pressure?
- an example of when you have taken responsibility rather than waiting for someone else to help?
- an example of working to a deadline?
- examples of when you have worked in a team?
- how would you make yourself part of the team?

I think they asked a few other questions but my mind has gone blank now lol. The whole morning was quite relaxed so to anyone who is worrying - don't! Just remember to fully participate in group tasks, make eye contact, smile, be chatty etc.

Got a call a few hours after the interview saying I've got the job :smile: Good luck to anyone who has an assessment coming up!

Congratulations on getting the job :smile:

I really feel I haven't got the job, I couldn't see an opportunity to bring up the instore ordering service, beauty card or the store card, So I think that'll be a point against me. :frown: I did mention the Instore ordering service in the phone interview though. Won't find out for another week or so anyway, I'll either get a rejection letter (which is what I'm expecting) or a phone call. So fingers crossed :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by xDivax90x
Congratulations on getting the job :smile:

I really feel I haven't got the job, I couldn't see an opportunity to bring up the instore ordering service, beauty card or the store card, So I think that'll be a point against me. :frown: I did mention the Instore ordering service in the phone interview though. Won't find out for another week or so anyway, I'll either get a rejection letter (which is what I'm expecting) or a phone call. So fingers crossed :smile:

I'm sure it won't matter you missing out that one thing, as long as you did well in general. Hope you get good news :smile:
I have my assessment day tomorrow, how did yours go? Any tips? Mines for a Christmas temp restaurant assistant
how long after the assessment interview did people get a call back saying they got the job?
Reply 57
had assessment on the 1st, got the job today(7th)
so that's 6 days for me :smile:
how long after the assessment interview did people get a call back saying they got the job?

About 4 hours afterwards.
Reply 59
Just got a call and got a 10 hour shift on cosmetics :smile: Thanks whattheheck and Minksthe1 you're posts really helped me a lot :smile: and to a post further up I had my assessment on the 1st of Oct and just got the call today (11th Oct) so guess the time wait is different for everyone

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending