The Student Room Group

Are Vauxhall Corsas 'chav' cars?

I need a car and there are quite a few Vauxhall Corsas out there which aren't badly priced, and Vauxhall is supposed to be reliable and cheap on parts. But I keep reading all these things online about Corsas being 'chav' cars...are they really? I'm not a chav but will driving a Corsa make people think I am/aspire to be one?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes. And yes :wink:

Seriously, though, it's the driver that gives a car the bad reputation - not the other way around.

A lot of young people drive Corsas. And the stereotyping begins from there...
Reply 2
I have a corsa and I'm not a chav soooo.. no? I like them and it was the cheapest to insure for me.
It's a great chav car because it's cheap and you can buy so many kits for it. But it's also a great normal people's car :p:
They use to be, along with the Vauxhall Nova, but I don't think people really consider them chav cars any more.

Beside, I haven't heard anyone use the word 'chav' properly in a long time.
car itself is good. i had a corsa for a while, until i grew too tall for it ;_;

peoblem is the kind of people who *tend* to drive one, though.......that's where this reputation stems from :/ go onto forums like corsa-c uk, and you will see what i mean.
I'm learning in one and my driving instructor certainly isn't a chav!
The car isn't chavvy itself. it's what you do to the car and how you drive it.

If you drive it like a chad, wheel spins and handbrake turns, cutting off other people all the time - it becomes a chav's car.

If you put on a body kit, gay spoiler, dumb alloys, stupid chrome tailpipe, and buy one of those kits that go in the engine from Argos, or make a hole in the silencer of the exhaust with a screwdriver, it becomes a chav's car.

So you see, the car itself is not chavvy, rather it is the driver who changes the natural predisposition of the car.

Reply 8
my mom's 53 and drives a red one! (it's newish n diesel but BRIGHT red)
however it is only a temporary ride :auto::ahee:
Reply 9
:rofl: never looked at it that way before, but yes.
Reply 10
Original post by Please Register

The car isn't chavvy itself. it's what you do to the car and how you drive it.

If you drive it like a chad, wheel spins and handbrake turns, cutting off other people all the time - it becomes a chav's car.

If you put on a body kit, gay spoiler, dumb alloys, stupid chrome tailpipe, and buy one of those kits that go in the engine from Argos, or make a hole in the silencer of the exhaust with a screwdriver, it becomes a chav's car.

So you see, the car itself is not chavvy, rather it is the driver who changes the natural predisposition of the car.

This.

OP its the people who makes the car what they are- reputation wise. I am expecting to buy a Corsa like this come February as it is the cheapest car for me to insure my far I'm not sure if this type of Corsa is considered as chavvy or just the one as above but the insurance is much cheaper for me on one of those so it looks like I'll be getting the Corsa and I'm no Chav
I have a Corsa and I'm no chav.

Though the car was handed down to me from my sister, and it has an Irmscher (or whatever) spoiler on it which make sit look sporty in a fail sort of way (I hate the spoiler).

Get a Corsa :smile: But the insurance will be higher as loads are on the road so the risk is increased slightly.
Reply 12
Original post by BBSH
This.

OP its the people who makes the car what they are- reputation wise. I am expecting to buy a Corsa like this come February as it is the cheapest car for me to insure my far I'm not sure if this type of Corsa is considered as chavvy or just the one as above but the insurance is much cheaper for me on one of those so it looks like I'll be getting the Corsa and I'm no Chav

Two exhausts to make it go faster?

Definitely a chavmobile :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Right Guard 3.D

Original post by Right Guard 3.D
I have a Corsa and I'm no chav.

Though the car was handed down to me from my sister, and it has an Irmscher (or whatever) spoiler on it which make sit look sporty in a fail sort of way (I hate the spoiler).

Get a Corsa :smile: But the insurance will be higher as loads are on the road so the risk is increased slightly.

I thought that until the Corsa turned out to be the cheapest for me by far TPFT AT £3500. a lot but still the cheapest
Reply 14
Original post by DOAADI
Two exhausts to make it go faster?

Definitely a chavmobile :smile:

This one maybe but take of the exhaust and it will be back to its specification.
This is not the one I will be buying but similar to and possible the same color.

I don't understand? the exhaust on a car does not make cars go faster, that is an engine that does that :s-smilie:
My mum drives a maroon Corsa :rofl2:
She's blates an small, Indian chav, doe.
Reply 16
I don't think so, I had a Corsa and I'm definitely not a chav.
Reply 17
Original post by BBSH
I don't understand? the exhaust on a car does not make cars go faster, that is an engine that does that :s-smilie:

Noooo. It's not the engine - it's the driver that makes it go faster.

Buy a basic Corsa, make it look like it has two exhausts, put blue LEDs in annoying places, then get a number plate written in an illegal font.

The driver will then think he is captain of the Starship Enterprise, and the chav-o-matic conversion is complete.

I thought that until the Corsa turned out to be the cheapest for me by far TPFT AT £3500. a lot but still the cheapest

Mine was £2800, but I read that after I had been insured. So, maybe its not true :s-smilie:
Reply 19
If you drive it like a chav, wheel spins

I take exception to that.

What's wrong with the odd burnout?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending