The Student Room Group

John Lewis Group Interview.

Hello guy's this is my first post on this forum so please be patient.

I applied for a Job online at John Lewis for a Christmas temp post in London.

Yesterday I got a emailed and booked my interview, what I would like to know is what happens at these things what do I need to do and how should I prepare.

And if I am Successful will I know on the day of the interview?

Dress Code? smart with tie and white shirt? Blazer or no blazer?

Any suggestions and advice?

Thanks Guys :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey! I worked at John Lewis as a christmas temp last year. I'm not sure if the process has changed but I can tell you what I did, hopefully it might help abit. I got the job so I must have done something right. :-D

There was about 20 of us in the interview, and we had to sit for about 20/30minutes just going through some powerpoints on the history of J.L and its policies etc etc. Then we were given a sheet with different questions on such as met someone famous, speak a foreign language, can drive a car etc. We had to all go around the group and find out who could do what and the managers watched how we interacted with each other etc.

We then had to pick a product out of a box got given a few minutes to look at it then had to stand up 1 by 1 and sell the product to the rest of the group. We then got split into groups and all assigned a manager who took us to different departments in the store. I got taken to the toys and xmas department. We then spent 30minutes down there and we just had to approach customers and see if they needed help. Massively awkward, it was 9am and there were not many customers and there was 5 of us trying to ask the same people if they needed any help. There just looking for confidence and if you can get a sale thats a bonus, I got two! :-p If there are any colleagues on the floor working they encourage you to go chat to them find out how it is to work for J.L.

We then got taken back upstairs and in our small groups got some group tasks, a bunch of things like there was a spillage, a telephone call, empty shelves, a customer looking like they might need help and collectively there looking for you to rank them from most important to least. We then had to go round the circle and say what we found easiest and hardest about being on the shopfloor. Then you had a mini 1-1 interview about your hours and any specific department you might like to work in. All in all it took like an hour and a half. Phewww long! Hope all that helps though. Definitely wear smart dress :-D
Reply 2
Do you fInd out The day if you get the job. ??
Hi! I went to one of these last week, and it was quite similar to Tilly 112's experience, except that we didn't have to approach customers or anything like that. There were about 40 of us in a room, split into groups of 5/6, then we had to watch the powerpoint, and do 3 tasks - 1 was presenting yourself to the group for 2 minutes, another task was designing a John Lewis poster, and lastly we had to think of the qualities which would make up a good employee. They also had the 1 to 1 interview (lasting literally 2 minutes and mostly about hours/other practicalities). I don't think you can really prepare for it - but then again yours could be different. You simply have to show you deal well with people, are friendly, considerate, etc. Oh, and most people wore 'work' clothes - so something similar to what you would wear if you were working there; shirt and tie sounds good.
And they let us know the results of the interview the next day!
Reply 4
All I'm going to say is good luck! Hope you get the job
Reply 5
Hi !

I went to the oxford street one today.

There's about 40 people.
You get split into groups of about 8.
Firstly everyone stands up and introduces themselves, name and a interesting fact, try think of something funny, people who said 'there's nothing really interesting about me' got a bad response.
The second task is to pick a product out of a box, it's all winter christmasy stuff I had a barbour hat then you go into a corner with your assessor and sell it to them.
Thirdly there's a pink pencil case with 20 attributes you should have as a sales assistant such as reliable respectful etc etc you have to cut it down to 10, then down to 5, then 3. make sure you speak up as a lot of people sat there in silence, but don't be aggressive. Then when you've cut it down to 3 you have to present them to the group and say why, make sure you include team work and talk about the partnership that went down well, also make sure you grab one and ask to speak about it, you need to be remembered.
Lastly you have to fill in a form there's three questions 1. what would make you a asset to the team ? 2. when was a time you received excellent customer service ? 3. when was there a time you used your initiative ?
And then you have to say if you have any holidays, and what hours you can work.

That's it

Good luck !
Original post by Rozay
Hi !

I went to the oxford street one today.

There's about 40 people.
You get split into groups of about 8.
Firstly everyone stands up and introduces themselves, name and a interesting fact, try think of something funny, people who said 'there's nothing really interesting about me' got a bad response.
The second task is to pick a product out of a box, it's all winter christmasy stuff I had a barbour hat then you go into a corner with your assessor and sell it to them.
Thirdly there's a pink pencil case with 20 attributes you should have as a sales assistant such as reliable respectful etc etc you have to cut it down to 10, then down to 5, then 3. make sure you speak up as a lot of people sat there in silence, but don't be aggressive. Then when you've cut it down to 3 you have to present them to the group and say why, make sure you include team work and talk about the partnership that went down well, also make sure you grab one and ask to speak about it, you need to be remembered.
Lastly you have to fill in a form there's three questions 1. what would make you a asset to the team ? 2. when was a time you received excellent customer service ? 3. when was there a time you used your initiative ?
And then you have to say if you have any holidays, and what hours you can work.

That's it

Good luck !

what did you write for the 3 questions? x
Bumping this, I need to organise my date for my group assessment tonight. New store with 300 jobs opening up in Exeter :smile:
I haven't done John Lewis group interviews but I've been to other retail ones (including Apple) and been successful.

My biggest tip is keep a smile on, be polite and friendly and never be caught staring down to the ground or not paying attention.

Whoever is speaking, even if they are talking about something boring, feign interest and look alive!
Original post by cognito_08
I haven't done John Lewis group interviews but I've been to other retail ones (including Apple) and been successful.

My biggest tip is keep a smile on, be polite and friendly and never be caught staring down to the ground or not paying attention.

Whoever is speaking, even if they are talking about something boring, feign interest and look alive!

Thankfully I believe i'm good at that! I hope.

I think one of the most difficult tasks is openly discussing myself for 2-3 minutes and mentioning something interesting without stopping the fluid of conversation.
Got my assessment tomorrow :O
My group interview is at 3 today, any last advice?
Reply 12
What type of thing did you have to do in your assessment? I have one coming up and don't think I am suited to group interviews. Did you get the job you hoped for?
It's actually very relaxed and i'm sure you'll be fine. You sit in groups of 5/6 and begin with a small JL presentation and move onto writing down your name, when used customer service and what you can bring to the team. Remember you have 2 minutes to write notes down as i left it too late and made it up as i went along.

Another small presentation and we then had to make a john lewis poster (make sure you mention the johnlewis.com and something else which they are famous for but can't remember), you then discuss your choices with an accessor as a group. Another presentation for 10 minutes and then you have to choose 5 characterists (forgive the spelling) as a sales man or what a customer would like to see in your first appearance or along those lines. For example, professional, self motivated, friendly etc.

You then do a 1 on 1 interview which i found the easiest but my assessor was super chilled out and i was last of the day so had a nice chat. You get asked a few simple questions such as how you found the day and what you could improve, be honest. You then have a choice of about 5 different items to choose which are on laminated paper and try and sell it to the interviewer. facts and details are are on the paper and you can look at them.

Goodluck, i'll post back when i have my confirmation to the job :smile: Where you applying too?
Reply 14
What clothes would be appropriate for a girl? would black trousers, white shirt be okay? or would longish black office type dress be better?
Whatever you feel comfortable wearing and looks smart. If i had a choice, the first one would be better perhaps. Still waiting for mt follow up email from them :L
Reply 16
Hi Everyone,
First I just want to say thank you to everyone who posted on here because I had a full time job interview as a Sales Assistant for the new John Lewis opening in Birmingham in September, and I felt really prepared and much more comfortable thanks to some of your comments.
Secondly I would just like to let you know what we did; there were three activities, in groups of 5 or 6 with one assessor watching each group. The first activity required you writing down on a sheet of paper your name, one passion of yours, one time you had received or given good customer service, and how you think you could benefit John Lewis. You then shared your answers with your group & assessor, who also asked the occasional question if they were interested in anything you said.
The second activity required working as a team to find the best solution to 3 different "customers" requirements, for example someone finding a present for their boss who only has £30 etc, we were required to take into account things such as the fact that some items couldn't be delivered. All the information we needed was provided on sheets. Finally we were asked to produce a stickman and label him with all the characteristics which we believe make the perfect John Lewis partner; and then narrow them down to the top 5 before presenting to everyone else. It was a very relaxed but professional environment, and I do think I did well, and the woman who lead the session told us that the majority of people who pass the online tests get a job so don't be too nervous and good luck. Btw my assessment was on the 1st June and we were told we would know if we were successful by the end of the month
Reply 17
Thank you for this! I have my interview coming up this week and this sounds really helpful!:smile:
Original post by ssssxx
Thank you for this! I have my interview coming up this week and this sounds really helpful!:smile:

I have an interview too this week! if you don't mind me asking, when is yours?
Reply 19
Original post by greenmath
I have an interview too this week! if you don't mind me asking, when is yours?

Mines tomorrow haha, what about you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending