Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which Martial Arts to take up?

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnC2211)
    TKD is absolutely awful for practical self defence. Try throwing a spinning high kick against someone on the street and see where it gets you.

Krav exists in the UK, but it is scarce.
    But you dont need a tornado kick to knock someone out. if you can lay a quick turning kick to someones face...

Looks pretty effective to me.

And for the people who said BJJ. That looks really impractical for a street fight IMO... Wrestling would be a better choice in that sense surely.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    BJJ is great, completely agree. I personally love Muay Thai (Thai boxing), as it involves a lot of self training coupled with sparring practice, which makes you an overall strong person.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Average_Aaron)
    But you dont need a tornado kick to knock someone out. if you can lay a quick turning kick to someones face...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NklgJ...layer_embedded (fight video)

^^ Looks pretty effective to me.

And for the people who said BJJ. That looks really impractical for a street fight IMO... Wrestling would be a better choice in that sense surely.

Yeah, pretty effective against a guy who isn't expecting it and who isn't fighting back.

In a real self defence scenario you are unlikely to kick higher than the waist. Of course its good to have that option if you ever plan on going into competitions and the like, but in no way is it necessary.

Futhermore, no disrespect to the kid in the video, but he kicked him multiple times in the face, and the guy was still standing (ish). He was injured, obviously, but he wasn't knocked out cold.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

There is only one martial art that will teach you to do that. Obviously it is completely useless, but personally that is a price I would be willing to pay.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Contrary to what some people are saying, learning any martial art is never a waste of time or money; it all depends on what you hope to get out of it. Personally, I do martial arts for general fitness, flexibility, and competition, not strictly for self-defence purposes. If that sounds like you, then there's nothing wrong with Tae Kwon Do (in fact, it's one of the best for sporting/fitness purposes). But it is true that it isn't fantastic for self-defence purposes (though it will give you the confidence and discipline that comes with any proper martial art, and some useful skills for 'on the street'). Personally, I'm very wary of things like Muay Thai or Krav Maga which seem to emphasise just teaching how to defend yourself/beat people up over proper self-control and discipline. But then, I'm an old fart...
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnC2211)
    Don't know where you're getting this no sparring thing from, in our school we glove up with headguards and go all out.

BJJ is useless for practical self defence. It's amazing in the ring or cage, because you only ever face one person but for practical self defence it's useless. The last place you want to be in a confrontational situation is on the ground. I don't care if you've got your assailant in a triangle choke and are putting him out, his mate (or 5) could be round the corner and kick you in the face.

The same goes for any grappling based martial art. Traditional Ju Jitsu is good for self defence in this respect because the majority of the techniques taught are standing up techniques for getting out of chokes, holds etc.

Muay Thai, Boxing, Kickboxing and Kyokushin are all well and good for sport, but there are huge gaps in each system in order for them to be effective on the street.

I stand by what I said, Krav Maga is my number 1 and always will be. A close second would be a GOOD karate school if you can find one, and not one of these McDojos.
    No, it's not. BJJ grew out of streetfighting ffs. For self defense a double leg onto concrete will usually finish the fight, if it doesn't then you disengage or engage on the ground if need be. If you somehow find yourself on the ground then you defend in guard, and finish them from your back or sweep (then see scenario 1).

The fact is that no martial art effectively addresses multiple opponents because there is no way to address it effectively - you run away, evade; you don't engage multiple opponents, that's retarded. If a martial claims to address multiple opponents effectively then it is bull****, and will more than likely get you killed.

Soooo, you kick each other in the balls with full contact at full hardness while the other person actively tries to put a real bullet in your brain? If not then you aren't training these techniques with aliveness.

It is the only martial art to properly address what to do on the ground - you cannot assume that you will beat them in stand up, in the worst case scenario you get put on your back and engaged from there, no other art will teach you how to fight from this position (that's not to say we'd want to be there in a real situation - it's a bad place to be; which is exaqctly why we train it). Ideally you'd **** them up with a harsh double leg and then simply them enjoy their concussion, engaging on the ground only if necessary.

Go with your stupid Tae Kwon Do then - I don't really care.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaius Julius)
    Contrary to what some people are saying, learning any martial art is never a waste of time or money; it all depends on what you hope to get out of it. Personally, I do martial arts for general fitness, flexibility, and competition, not strictly for self-defence purposes. If that sounds like you, then there's nothing wrong with Tae Kwon Do (in fact, it's one of the best for sporting/fitness purposes). But it is true that it isn't fantastic for self-defence purposes (though it will give you the confidence and discipline that comes with any proper martial art, and some useful skills for 'on the street'). Personally, I'm very wary of things like Muay Thai or Krav Maga which seem to emphasise just teaching how to defend yourself/beat people up over proper self-control and discipline. But then, I'm an old fart...

Beautifully said.

To the OP, everyone will say BJJ/Muay Thai/Krav Maga because, quite simply, they are the most popular at the moment. Ignore anything and everything people who suggest these arts say if they don't back it up with decent reasons.

I do Karate (and have done for about 3 years) and I love it. Are any other reasons required?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davsters)
    Beautifully said.

To the OP, everyone will say BJJ/Muay Thai/Krav Maga because, quite simply, they are the most popular at the moment. Ignore anything and everything people who suggest these arts say if they don't back it up with decent reasons.

I do Karate (and have done for about 3 years) and I love it. Are any other reasons required?
    Umm, I'm pretty sure we did - alive training, fully resistant opponents, and hard sparring.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Einheri)
    Umm, I'm pretty sure we did - alive training, fully resistant opponents, and hard sparring.
    I don't think you recognize the point of participating in martial arts. BTW what belts do you have in all these martial arts that you claim to be an expert on?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's good that you have experience already.

I was talking about different martial arts to a friend the other day, and we made a little classification. We seperated those that are very useful "on the street" right from the beggining, and those that are useless "on the street" until you become a pro (but when you become a pro you're almost god-like).

The former being Boxing, Kickboxing and Karate, and the latter being Tae Kwon Do, Ju Jitsu and Judo.
    I've never done either Karate or Judo, so maybe we were misinformed about those.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C_B_C)

I was talking about different martial arts to a friend the other day, and we made a little classification. We seperated those that are very useful "on the street" right from the beggining, and those that are useless "on the street" until you become a pro (but when you become a pro you're almost god-like).

The former being Boxing, Kickboxing and Karate, and the latter being Tae Kwon Do, Ju Jitsu and Judo.
    I've never done either Karate or Judo, so maybe we were misinformed about those.
    Again, most martial arts are not primarily self defense programs.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    How about MMA?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I have done Wing Chun, Boxing, Capoeira, Intergrated MArtial Arts, Muay Thai and Kuk Sool Won. Kuk Sool Won was flowery and least effective for self defence or fitness as the majority of instructors and students were almost obese). Also babyish as it appeared to a a mcdojo. Things like MMA and BJJ are usually very expensive and apparently full of big ego bullies. I'd recomend Muay Thai/boxing or wing Chun. Have also heard Krav Maga is good
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by win5ton)
    Again, most martial arts are not primarily self defense programs.
    Then they shouldn't be called martial arts. They should be called fitness arts, or inner peace arts or some other hippie nonsense.

(Original post by DrunkenMaster)
    I have done Wing Chun, Boxing, Capoeira, Intergrated MArtial Arts, Muay Thai and Kuk Sool Won. Kuk Sool Won was flowery and least effective for self defence or fitness as the majority of instructors and students were almost obese). Also babyish as it appeared to a a mcdojo. Things like MMA and BJJ are usually very expensive and apparently full of big ego bullies. I'd recomend Muay Thai/boxing or wing Chun. Have also heard Krav Maga is good
    It depends upon your idea of big ego. Sure, BJJ gyms are generally full of tough guys - but they also have people who are totally weak. Isn't that the point? The weak people surely want to learn how to fight tough people, not a bunch of girls.

The worst egos are arguably the people in the highly spiritual academies - the fat old men that tell you all the age-old martial arts lies - that you need to train for years, and you need internal peace and it's not all about fighting. And the people that will lie to your face and tell you that using their method you can perform superhuman feats and learn oriental death magic.

If you go to a top sporting Judo club - there will no doubt be tough guys (and girls) there - because they are often looking to send young people to become Olympic athletes. Some of the fighters aren't far off elite status, and they have been fighting week in and out for years. If you think people like that have big egos, maybe you're just mistaking their competitiveness.

There are some aikido dojos that exist where they do believe in the ki and all that. They do believe that Uesheba was a demigod, and they do believe that their brand of teaching untried and untested - works. To me, that's going beyond big ego and entering the world of delusion and arrogance.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by win5ton)
    I don't think you recognize the point of participating in martial arts. BTW what belts do you have in all these martial arts that you claim to be an expert on?
    And what is that point? I'd say to be able to defeat other people in unarmed combat. Let me guess; you believe the point is 'spiritual enlightment' and building up your chi?

I never said I'm an expert on anything.

(Original post by C_B_C)

Judo is generally considered one of the best arts for self-defense - a hard osoto gari onto concrete on someone who knows no ukemi (how to breakfall) will quite possibly kill them (as it snaps the neck back and causes you to hit the lower part of your skull on the ground); at the least a concussion seems almost inevitable from a well executed osoto gari. Bare-knuckle striking, however, can quite easily break your hand - while London Prizefighting Rules (bareknuckle) were in use fighters rarely struck to head, prefering bodyshots instead because you'd constantly break your hands.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi folks. I'm looking for a new martial art to learn. I have previously done kickboxing and boxing and was looking for something a bit different

So far, Tae Kwon Do is at the top of my list.

Any opinions on this?

Thanks for any input
    Taekwondo is AMAZING! I did it up until me moved but can't do it anymore as there is no longer a club near to me (GUTTED) but I'd love to go back if there was!

- It's great for fitness and self-defence
    - You learn self respect and control
    - You learn a variety of skill patterns as well as combat skills
    - Challenge yourself - You learn Korean
    - Plenty of opportunties for competitions
    - & It's good fun!

(Blue Belt and 2001's Under 10's British National Pairs Patterns Champion)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C_B_C)
    How about MMA?
    You don't just jump straight into MMA. You should have a good few months worth of BJJ, wrestling and some standup before you jump into any MMA classes.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Krav Maga. Its realistic and works. It also gives you a pretty damn good workout!!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Krav Maga is probably the most usable for everyday issues. Say you go home from a bar and someone attack you with a knofe or something.
    Just my opinion though.
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrCalumJC)
    Krav Maga. Its realistic and works. It also gives you a pretty damn good workout!!

(Original post by Chr0n)
    Krav Maga is probably the most usable for everyday issues. Say you go home from a bar and someone attack you with a knofe or something.
    Just my opinion though.
    If there's no live sparring, how is it realistic or useable?

Contrary to what they would have you believe, KM is not modern or new. It's basically a re-packaging of old-school Japanese Jiu Jitsu (hereafter JJJ).

Before Judo, KM is exactly what JJJ was - they've just replaced the samurai icons with Israeli paratroopers.

KM is a fighting system based on what is essentially a lot of very dirty tricks. This is exactly what JJJ was. Sure, for a long time it worked, but that was in the absence of anything better, and it was also a battlefield art. Everything was taught in the context of storming a castle or a pitched battle with 10,000 guys on each side.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 12, 2012
New on TSR

Have a UCAS application question?

Post it in our dedicated forum

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.