Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    TKD has to be the worst martial art around on a practical level,
    MMA would be my sudgestion.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    If there's no live sparring, how is it realistic or useable?
    Dude I know KMs history. And KM is not killing anyone it's that people that use.
    Basically there are several levels, as a civilian you should in fact only learn the defensive modules in KM. For example our trainer (I did for a year or so) always made sure we remembered that the best option in a street fight is too flee. So you would just make sure that you have that room. Also there are many tricks in KM you can use to keep your attacker at a distance while talking to him and maybe be able to end the fight without actually fighting.

(Original post by Clip)
    KM is a fighting system based on what is essentially a lot of very dirty tricks.
    KM is essentially that is exactly what makes it so useful. Honestly what help is it if you look good while being beaten up? If someone attacks me I want to be able to defend myself and I would use every freaking dirty trick in order to minimize the damage taken.
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chr0n)
    Dude I know KMs history. And KM is not killing anyone it's that people that use.
    Basically there are several levels, as a civilian you should in fact only learn the defensive modules in KM. For example our trainer (I did for a year or so) always made sure we remembered that the best option in a street fight is too flee. So you would just make sure that you have that room. Also there are many tricks in KM you can use to keep your attacker at a distance while talking to him and maybe be able to end the fight without actually fighting.

KM is essentially that is exactly what makes it so useful. Honestly what help is it if you look good while being beaten up? If someone attacks me I want to be able to defend myself and I would use every freaking dirty trick in order to minimize the damage taken.
    This is exactly what I'm saying. KM is at it's heart a series of tricks.

You yourself admit that you would use "every freaking dirty trick".

And those would be dangerous and could cause a lot of injury.

So how then do you know that you can actually apply them?

I'm sure you have never actually gouged someone's eye out or torn anyone's throat out or broken anyone's knee.

So how do you know that you can actually apply that technique on an uncooperative opponent?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Im a great lover of stand up Martial arts so recommend K1 style, kickboxing n Muay tai my uni dont offer any of these so im settling for taekwondo and boxing to get my fix
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    So how then do you know that you can actually apply them?

I'm sure you have never actually gouged someone's eye out or torn anyone's throat out or broken anyone's knee.

So how do you know that you can actually apply that technique on an uncooperative opponent?
    You don't have to learn those things lol. There are MANY techniques that do not require gouging out someone's eye or torning anyone's throat lol. Krav Maga is what you make of it. As I said above there are several levels of it and civilians should only learn the defence modules anyway (I don't count ripping someones eye out as a defensive measure...) Personally I never would use or even wanted to learn those things. BUT there are othher tricks that easily help you. Like keeping your opponent at a distance.

As to how you know you can do them? As with every other MA; training. We did simulations of different situations in training which gave you the feeling that you could take actions should something like that happen.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Einheri)

Go with your stupid Tae Kwon Do then - I don't really care.
    Any need for the pathetic attitude?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Average_Aaron)

A minority of BJJ practitioners often get butt hurt when their style is called into question. Ground fighting is a good skill to have, but the last place you want to be in the street is on the ground.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Jiu Jitsu? It is a martial art that is also self defence so might be useful
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a fan of Tae Kwon Do, too much like a sport...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Umm, I'm pretty sure we did - alive training, fully resistant opponents, and hard sparring.
    No, you did. It's all the internet encylopedias that post BJJ without giving justification.

All of those points depend on the Dojo. I do hard, although not free, sparring in Karate (we start free sparring at black and I'm a brown.)

What I'm trying to say is that all of the styles are broadly the same. It's the instructor that makes the difference.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because I already said that you'd ideally finish a fight simply with the takedown and ideally we wouldn't go to the ground unless we had to. However, we train primarily on the ground precisely because it is the last place you'd want to be - if you get landed on your arse and have no idea what to do then you're screwed. I explained this to you but you still say"BJJ doesn't look very realistic for a streetfight", I also explained to you why TKD is not a very well respected style.

(Original post by JohnC2211)
    A minority of BJJ practitioners often get butt hurt when their style is called into question. Ground fighting is a good skill to have, but the last place you want to be in the street is on the ground.
    Again, I already said this. I'm not "butt-hurt"; it just seems the OP started this thread for people to tell him how awesome TKD is.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because I already said that you'd ideally finish a fight simply with the takedown and ideally we wouldn't go to the ground unless we had to. However, we train primarily on the ground precisely because it is the last place you'd want to be - if you get landed on your arse and have no idea what to do then you're screwed. I explained this to you but you still say"BJJ doesn't look very realistic for a streetfight", I also explained to you why TKD is not a very well respected style.

Again, I already said this. I'm not "butt-hurt"; it just seems the OP started this thread for people to tell him how awesome TKD is.
    Do u get beat up much at BJJ?

I bet u do.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    A few things to add here, off topic from the original post, but certainly following the current thread direction.

Firstly the guy in that video, hes not a very proficient fighter, hes a disgrace to martial arts as a whole really. That choice of movements hes used most certainly have the potential to kill someone. To be using them in such a way is not respectful of his teacher or the heritage of his chosen martial art. Giving the fella a punch into the jaw would have been sufficient to be honest.

Honestly I think that the best martial art for you is one that feels the most natural. One that works best with your natural body movements.

For me this is Kickboxing, but i train both one hit techniques and kickboxing as a sport.

Mostly for me the one hit techniques, the practical self defense techniques mostly. Open hand strikes generating power from a double hip motion. Elbows again, including stepping through. Back fists/hands
    In terms of practical self defense I don`t think TDK is just that practical.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I used to do TKD. I enjoyed it, but if you want something a more useful regarding self-defence, something like Jiu Jitsu is probably better.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:

I bet u do.
    I tend to get the tap more often than I tap. I don't see how this relevant in any way.

(Original post by Genki Sudo)
    You don't just jump straight into MMA. You should have a good few months worth of BJJ, wrestling and some standup before you jump into any MMA classes.
    I'd say at least a year of grappling and six months of striking.

(Original post by Davsters)
    No, you did. It's all the internet encylopedias that post BJJ without giving justification.
    They're probably guys who have never done it, but just watched UFC a couple of times.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:

I bet u do.
    Talking about getting beaten, this guy taps out a TKD blackbelt 6 times in 4 minutes using BJJ techniques and he has never had a single lesson; just watched videos on youtube for a couple of months, hahaha. If that doesn't convince you that TKD is sucky then I don't know what will.

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    They're probably guys who have never done it, but just watched UFC a couple of times.
    You make some half-reasonable points but then you post completely pointless comemnts/videos like the one below. What does it prove? That the guy with the red belt can make the guy with the black belt tap out. NOTHING MORE.

I don't understand the need for martial-art-bashing. Just accept that they are different and end it there. This has all been done to death.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    You make some half-reasonable points but then you post completely pointless comemnts/videos like the one below. What does it prove? That the guy with the red belt can make the guy with the black belt tap out. NOTHING MORE.

I don't understand the need for martial-art-bashing. Just accept that they are different and end it there. This has all been done to death.
    Yes, it has been done to death and the results have always been that some martial arts are inferior to others.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it has been done to death and the results have always been that some martial arts are inferior to others.
    They all have advantages and disadvantages. I wouldn't recommend a 60 year old woman doing MMA for obvious reasons so maybe Tai Chi would actually be a better option for her. Please stop taking this elitist view on martial arts, it is about more than fighting.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    They all have advantages and disadvantages. I wouldn't recommend a 60 year old woman doing MMA for obvious reasons so maybe Tai Chi would actually be a better option for her. Please stop taking this elitist view on martial arts, it is about more than fighting.
    Tai Chi is not a martial art. Martial arts are not about more than fighting - any other benefit you derive from practicing martial arts is simply a side effect. Let's break the term down shall we? Martial = war, combat, Mars-like from "Mars" the Roman god of war. Art = skill, technique* from the Latin "ars" meaning skill, technique. So martial art means combat/war skill. Tai Chi (and others) have no or extremely limited martial application and so, by the very definition of the term, are not martial arts.

*the usage of the term "art" to mean painting, drawing "arty" things is a later usage than when the term martial art was coined (in the late Middle Ages) - thus suggesting the more modern meaning for "art" in "Martial Art" is anachronistic and simply incorrect.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 13, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.