Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which Martial Arts to take up?

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnC2211)
    The same goes for any grappling based martial art. Traditional Ju Jitsu is good for self defence in this respect because the majority of the techniques taught are standing up techniques for getting out of chokes, holds etc.
    Disagree. Judo can be immensely useful if someone is up in your face and you need to quickly put someone on the ground and hold them there. Plus, a well-timed throw onto a hard surface is easily enough to incapacitate anyone who attacks you.

I'm more of a fan of newaza (ground work) but for practical self-defence, if you already know kickboxing, judo is the way to go in my opinion.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Learn streetfighting IV
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Kung Fu is great. I'd say you get to enjoy all of what the others have to offer.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manupalace)
    Kung Fu is great. I'd say you get to enjoy all of what the others have to offer.
    saying try 'kung fu' is like saying try food . There many dozen styles under the 'kung fu ' umbrella (from hung-gar, hsing yi, shaolin derivations, daoist styles to wing tsun, tai-chi-chuan, mantis, northern/southern etc) all as different to each other as seemingly possible.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indo-Chinese Food)
    saying try 'kung fu' is like saying try food . There many dozen styles under the 'kung fu ' umbrella (from hung-gar, hsing yi, shaolin derivations, daoist styles to wing tsun, tai-chi-chuan, mantis, northern/southern etc) all as different to each other as seemingly possible.
    Fair point.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gridiron-Gangster)
    Google the world Jeet Kune do federation. Apparently you can learn and be graded via distance learning.
    *BARF*

No, just no.
    • 37 followers

(Original post by Einheri)
    *BARF*

No, just no.
    Why?
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why?
    Do you think medicine should be taught by distance learning, and doctors given degrees over the internet?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why?
    Watching a few instructionals and trying the techniques out on your little sister in your living room is not the same as going to a real gym and having real instructors, sparring hard with guys who are also at a real gym with real instructors. Clip's analogy is very apt - how would you feel about a doctor who had learned by watching videos off of the internet, and practicing on his friends and family, never having any live instruction or one-to-one tuition, with no real practical experience of the techniques involved and having no understanding of the intricacies and nuances of those techniques? If I could learn Jiu-jitsu, Judo, wrestling and boxing at home on my computer do you think I'd spend 12 hours a week at a gym collecting bruises, broken toes, bust lips, cauliflower ear and exhausting myself five days a week?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Bassman)
    Disagree. Judo can be immensely useful if someone is up in your face and you need to quickly put someone on the ground and hold them there. Plus, a well-timed throw onto a hard surface is easily enough to incapacitate anyone who attacks you.

I'm more of a fan of newaza (ground work) but for practical self-defence, if you already know kickboxing, judo is the way to go in my opinion.
    Possibly - argueably by the time Judo guy is close enough to grab some handles, hes going to have eaten a few to the face or throat from any decent wing tsun, kempo guy. A Jitsu guy will probably take the throw and roll you into an armbar and snap it.

Ultimatley its not really about the style you use - theres umpteen different ways to floor some meathead in your face. The real difference is in the person applying that technique - if he is knowledgable and using decent technique, it doesnt really matter what sort of martial art hes using, jsut as long as hes pretty good at it.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Possibly - argueably by the time Judo guy is close enough to grab some handles, hes going to have eaten a few to the face or throat from any decent wing tsun, kempo guy. A Jitsu guy will probably take the throw and roll you into an armbar and snap it.

Ultimatley its not really about the style you use - theres umpteen different ways to floor some meathead in your face. The real difference is in the person applying that technique - if he is knowledgable and using decent technique, it doesnt really matter what sort of martial art hes using, jsut as long as hes pretty good at it.
    Except Wing Chun practitioners punch like 8-year-old girls with polio, so who would care? Judo > Wing Chun.
    • 37 followers

(Original post by Clip)
    Do you think medicine should be taught by distance learning, and doctors given degrees over the internet?
    You can't really compare Medicine with Martial Arts. Medicine is about gaining clinical experience, patient contact, observing procedures, taking histories etc (I know seeing as I am a medic!). It's a licensed and regulated profession and hence well it can't be done by distance learning so it's silly to even draw a comparison with Medicine.

Martial Arts yes I see your point but let's be honest JKD isn't a widespread as say Karate or Judo and if the videoes are made by JKD experts and they're prepared to assess you via distance-learning then I don't see a massive issue except for the fact they charge about $200 an assessment.

I guess it's no different to the masses of fitness videoes out there but at least with this you're getting a grading. But yeah I agree nothing beats the experience of getting into the gym and training with your peers.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

Not really. wing tsun is a bit ridiculous in the first place and Judo involves armbars so it wouldn't be as simple as rolling someone into an armbar.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    Judo is good. You need to put in a lot of work though. It takes time to learn the moves and you have to have a certain amount of quickness or strength, or perhaps both. Not only do you have to learn the moves but you have to learn the name in English and Japanese.
    But it's good. It's a good challenge and you meet good people. Plus when you start doing well you really feel great about it.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    SILAT?
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can't really compare Medicine with Martial Arts. Medicine is about gaining clinical experience, patient contact, observing procedures, taking histories etc (I know seeing as I am a medic!). It's a licensed and regulated profession and hence well it can't be done by distance learning so it's silly to even draw a comparison with Medicine.

Martial Arts yes I see your point but let's be honest JKD isn't a widespread as say Karate or Judo and if the videoes are made by JKD experts and they're prepared to assess you via distance-learning then I don't see a massive issue except for the fact they charge about $200 an assessment.
    I'd argue there is a strong comparison. Two things are highly practical and experience based - and the most important factor is the other party.

As an "expert" on clinical training, you obviously appreciate that the difficulty is that you can't possibly assess by distance-learning how someone is relating to the patient, the pathology and their physical skill at any examination or procedure.

When you're talking martial arts, you are necessarily talking about fighting. And the most important aspect of this is the other person. It's not possible to assess how good someone is at fighting if you can't see them fight and know something about the other party.

I suppose in theory, you could have a system where you could send videos of yourself fighting in pre-determined situations against an opponent of a known standard - and be assessed by an instructor; but that would be a crazy overcomplication, and completely different from the kind of online grading that most McDojos offer.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Except Wing Chun practitioners punch like 8-year-old girls with polio, so who would care? Judo > Wing Chun.
    LOL go back to playing computer games troll, the grown ups are talking
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    LOL go back to playing computer games troll, the grown ups are talking
    You said something to the tune of "Wing Chun > Judo". Any martial artist who isn't a Chunner would disagree. Go back to playing patty cake.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You said something to the tune of "Wing Chun > Judo". Any martial artist who isn't a Chunner would disagree. Go back to playing patty cake.
    no i didnt ,i believe it was you that said the oppossite - pls quit making a further mockery of yourself - practice some moves on your xbox
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Bassman)
    Not really. wing tsun is a bit ridiculous in the first place and Judo involves armbars so it wouldn't be as simple as rolling someone into an armbar.

i doubt youve ever spent any time sparring with a reasonble wing tsun chap if you make that asusmption visit any one of these and test your theory out.

http://www.thewingchunschool.com/html/HackneyHQ.htm

http://www.thewingchunschool.com/html/CentralLondon.htm

http://www.kwokwingchun.co.uk/associ...n-clubs#london

www.thewingchunschool-clapham.co.uk

if your theory comes out well, let me know.

Re armbars, yes i know they exist in judo (juji), as ive rolled with a judo guy - his version of an arm bar was way different from mine and had no clue how to escape

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 13, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.